This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are the most interesting/cool things you do with your home network?

#1Fear The ClownPosted 5/3/2014 7:17:52 PM
I've only recently had the opportunity in my home network to take advantage of having multiple PCs with one acting as a server. With that in mind I'm interested in seeing what other people are doing on their home networks.

Currently, I have my gaming desktop acting as a media server. Shares are setup on the network and the PCs that access them on the network have the shared folders mapped. I recently discovered Plex.tv in the last week so now I am utilizing that for off-network media access.

I spend my work weeks dealing with business networks and have seen some pretty awesome business uses for networks in my short time in this industry however not much that I have seen would make for interesting use on a home network.

I did consider at one point using my 'server' as a domain controller given that I have some pretty technically inept people at home whose PCs I maintain on a regular basis however the time given to doing that does not equal out to the benefit and I get enough experience working with domains and ADDS at work so I wouldn't gain any experience doing it at home that I haven't or won't in the near future at work.

Something to note, I'm heavily interested in a software solution that would let me remote access my 'server' and game off of it using a laptop, even if it is constrained to network only use. I have explored Splashtop, but didn't get the results I wanted for gaming.

LINUX solutions are more than welcome as well along with anything that might not necessarily provide a home network benefit over what is currently in place but would provide opportunity to get my hands experienced with anything network related.
---
i7-4770k@4.2GHZ | L337 GAMING Z87H3-A3X | GTX 760 2GB | 8GB DDR3
#2BogePosted 5/3/2014 7:27:51 PM
Nothing real special here. We have a WDTV Live Hub that is connected, so everyone can stream movies from it through their computers, PS3, whatever. Other than that, we just use it mostly to do LAN gaming with friends from time to time.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#3Digital StormPosted 5/3/2014 7:30:20 PM
I made a beowulf cluster back in the day.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#4Fear The Clown(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2014 7:32:57 PM
Digital Storm posted...

Nice, I had never heard of this before. Not something I would probably do but just curious as to what uses you got out of it?
---
#5Digital StormPosted 5/3/2014 7:36:50 PM
Fear The Clown posted...
Digital Storm posted...

Nice, I had never heard of this before. Not something I would probably do but just curious as to what uses you got out of it?

It was more or less used to see how fast I could get stuff to compile in Gentoo Linux back in the day.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#6drinkPosted 5/3/2014 7:42:56 PM(edited)
Plex server and NAS. Nothing great here.
Google remote gaming will give you tons of info on what others have used/tried
---
You didn't try google, you made that up...
Twist those dirty bags - Shake
#7PhilOnDezPosted 5/3/2014 8:27:51 PM
For your streaming question, check out SteamOS. It has that functionality built in. I haven't used it myself to say how the experience is but I've seen a lot of people impressed by it. Just make sure to use LAN for the best experience obviously, though it's usable, if not ideal, over wifi.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#8Blobs_Posted 5/3/2014 8:32:44 PM
I have like 3 routers because I'm stupid .-.
---
is haha
#9Fear The Clown(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2014 9:35:48 PM
drink posted...
Plex server and NAS. Nothing great here.
Google remote gaming will give you tons of info on what others have used/tried

Thanks for the idea of giving this thought again. Remembered to check out Steam In-Home streaming to see if it was out and alas its in open beta now. Worked pretty damn good for me.
---
#10Lonestar2000Posted 5/4/2014 1:03:41 AM
Have you looked into home automation and security? For game streaming check out StreamMyGame.

http://www.streammygame.com/smg/index.php
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335