This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can you wipe out all that windows 8 propaganda junk? new user.

#1XiocamiePosted 5/4/2014 9:47:40 PM
Put simply, I'll be buying a new PC a week or so from now and it will, inevitably, come with windows 8 installed. I've pretty much been using windows 7 since it came out and have not touched win 8 yet. From what I've seen though, that new start screen with all the store buying stuff and tons of random software...it really bugs me, I'm assuming all this can be removed + uninstalled? From what I gather you still have your desktop as it always has been (windows key+ D I believe) but you always start at this new start menu deal.

I compare it to back when a PC would come installed with vista or 7 and it came with tons of crap that you don't need and it's just more clutter junk so you'll buy their trash mcAfee trial or whatever. Needless to say, the first thing I did with one of these PCs is remove and wipe out all that software and just install my own preferred antivirus / software, etc.

I guess since I'm completely new to 8, I'm worried I'm going to be "forced" to deal with all this BUY ME BUY ME propaganda trash and not be able to have a nice clean PC environment. So yeah, is it possible? if so some basic instructions on how to do it would be good, just so I can pin this aside and have it handy on that day.

And yes I'm aware I can uninstall windows 8 and put 7 or build my own PC, etc, etc. For now just ignore those options and just run with what I mentioned above.
#2WyzeGyePosted 5/4/2014 9:50:56 PM
you've been sorely misinformed... yes there's a store app, no it doesnt flash and say BUY ME BUY BUY BUY.

there's none of this "propaganda" you're talking about.

and the bloatware that comes with a computer is part of buying a prebuilt computer, doesn't matter which OS comes installed.
---
http://puu.sh/8hi9W/9082c43c30.png
#3DragnfyrPosted 5/4/2014 9:53:39 PM
There are some preinstalled apps but Windows has always come with preinstalled software like Windows Mail and stuff like that since Vista. You can easily uninstall them if you don't like them. The best part is that if you use a Microsoft Account to sign in then all the apps you uninstalled will remain uninstalled if you get a new computer or reinstall Windows.
Also there's nothing that comes bundled with Windows 8 itself that screams "BUY ME". The regular manufacturer preinstalled junk is still there though.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+64GB SSDs
#4Bmvc1Posted 5/4/2014 10:04:04 PM
I don't think you know what propaganda is.
#5CrimsonkainxPosted 5/4/2014 10:06:20 PM
Furthermore, once you get the last big set of updates (Windows 8.1 and then the big Update for 8.1) Windows will boot to desktop by default on non-touch models. It also brings back a lot of usability like having a minimize and close button with the full screen apps, a power button on the Start Screen, and a future update will bring back the start menu without the need for a third party shell program.
#6TinyTankXPosted 5/4/2014 11:03:30 PM
Get a Mac
#7EpicKingdom_Posted 5/4/2014 11:05:25 PM
You know what they say, you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
---
http://i.imgur.com/aRtv4fD.png
#8iammaxhailmePosted 5/4/2014 11:09:37 PM
1: Install classic shell
2: It's now basically a faster windows 7
3: ???
4: Profit
---
Best weapon combo in tf2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oUWPbS4450&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.last.fm/user/iammax
#9A_Soggy_RatPosted 5/4/2014 11:21:25 PM
TinyTankX posted...
Get a Mac

Mac? Gaming? Seriously?
---
Proud to be a farm animal until someone tells me otherwise.
#10LvthnPosted 5/4/2014 11:23:28 PM
As best I can tell, the bloatware you're talking about has nothing to do with Windows 8, it's standard issue on a prebuilt. Prebuilts come with whatever junk they feel like saddling you with. Clean installs of retail Windows 8 have none of that.