This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steam has been completely overrun by Indie games.

#1TheSchrefPosted 5/5/2014 12:43:27 PM
Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of indie games, but this is getting ridiculous. How are all of these projects getting funding and why are they getting funding? So many of them are ridiculously bad games that get released as an alpha and then never get touched again.

Just go through the new releases on steam. It's crazy!

I would be excited when I saw some new indie game, but the market is so saturated with them now that I ignore all of them. I'm sure some gems have been released, but I no longer care to look.

Today, it seems you can put any unoriginal (yet cool) idea up on kickstarter and raise 40 grand in no time. Apparently people out there likes these games, so I won't tell you to stop funding these kickstarters, but do us all a favor and take a really good look at it before you support them with your hard earned cash.
#2tastethecouragePosted 5/5/2014 12:49:07 PM
This will be the big debate for Steam going forward.

Do you believe in an open marketplace where anyone can sell their products, no matter how good or bad?

Or do you believe that Valve has a responsibility to enact quality control to protect their consumers?
---
Corsair 500R | Intel 3570K | EVGA FTW GTX 670 | 8gb Corsair Vengeance | 120gb Kingston SSD | 1tb WD Caviar Black HDD | Corsair 650W
#3CELTEKKPosted 5/5/2014 12:50:13 PM
because indie games are being released at a much higher rate than AAA, uber budget games.
---
psn:celtekk|steam:celtekk
3770k@4.8
#4TheSchref(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2014 12:52:29 PM(edited)
tastethecourage posted...

Do you believe in an open marketplace where anyone can sell their products, no matter how good or bad?

Or do you believe that Valve has a responsibility to enact quality control to protect their consumers?

I'm on the fence, but I'm leaning toward some sort of quality control.

CELTEKK posted...
because indie games are being released at a much higher rate than AAA, uber budget games.

There is no doubt that this has a lot to do with it. It's too much, though.
#5sonic_man00Posted 5/5/2014 12:52:08 PM
It doesn't cost much of a budget to make Indie games, It costs a major budget to make AAA games.

Its logic.
---
Windows 8 - AMD Dual-Core E-3000 - 4 GB RAM - ATi Radeon HD 6310
I will change this sig when Gabe posts a picture of himself eating a Twinkie.
#6drinkPosted 5/5/2014 12:52:24 PM
Who will decide "quality"? I like games that people hate.

Maybe they should just separate indie games so its not a flood of them. Or maybe a option to not view alpha/beta games and indie games.
---
You didn't try google, you made that up...
Twist those dirty bags - Shake
#7TheSchref(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2014 12:56:58 PM(edited)
drink posted...

Maybe they should just separate indie games so its not a flood of them. Or maybe a option to not view alpha/beta games and indie games.

I was just thinking the same thing. Have a section for AAA, a section for released indie, and a section for beta/alpha indie.
#8sonic_man00Posted 5/5/2014 12:54:58 PM
TheSchref posted...
tastethecourage posted...

I'm on the fence, but I'm leaning toward some sort of quality control.

CELTEKK posted...

There is no doubt that this has a lot to do with it. It's too much, though.

Hey, Quality control has nothing to do with it, IMO. There are plenty of bad games on Steam, But just because their bad, We should get rid of them? What about the people who like those games? What if its a alpha game?

Maybe i'm looking too far into it.
---
Windows 8 - AMD Dual-Core E-3000 - 4 GB RAM - ATi Radeon HD 6310
I will change this sig when Gabe posts a picture of himself eating a Twinkie.
#9Rexdragon125Posted 5/5/2014 12:57:29 PM
Still, probably half of them are unfinished garbage. Because publishing completed games is so last decade.
#10LaManoNeraIIPosted 5/5/2014 12:58:48 PM
drink posted...

The same kinds of employees other publishing platforms hire to determine quality?

We're not talking about personal taste here. We're talking about the QUALITY of digital products sold for real money. There IS a precedent for that
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009