This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steam has been completely overrun by Indie games.

#11TruePowerSeekerPosted 5/5/2014 12:02:44 PM
drink posted...
Who will decide "quality"? I like games that people hate.

Maybe they should just separate indie games so its not a flood of them. Or maybe a option to not view alpha/beta games and indie games.

Does the game work? Yes ok then it stays.

Does the game crash constantly and require hours of tweaking to actually make it work correctly? Yes ok then it goes.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alX4leh13s8
#12ClouddxPosted 5/5/2014 12:03:40 PM
TruePowerSeeker posted...
drink posted...

Maybe they should just separate indie games so its not a flood of them. Or maybe a option to not view alpha/beta games and indie games.

Does the game crash constantly and require hours of tweaking to actually make it work correctly? Yes ok then it goes.

We should petition to get DkS removed from Steam then, as well as many of the older games on Steam that require tweaking to work on newer OS.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#13JackTheRimmerPosted 5/5/2014 12:03:41 PM
Steam is the worst thing to happen to PC gaming
#14jake-sfPosted 5/5/2014 12:05:51 PM(edited)
I see indie as the "flash games" that we had in the past.

Frankly I see very little more to them than that, for the HUGE majority of them. Super small scale, gimmicky, dumb looking. But at least flash games were free.

Its incredible how few stands out, and it gets worse when you don't like every genre, and it gets even worse when 90% of them aren't bloody finished and you can't even filter them out.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#15CELTEKKPosted 5/5/2014 12:07:27 PM
drink posted...

Say goodbye to Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, then. That ****ing game isn't playable even WITH all the unofficial patches.

Really, it's pathetic...
---
psn:celtekk|steam:celtekk
3770k@4.8
#16Rolen47Posted 5/5/2014 12:09:47 PM
I'm fine with indie games, it's Early Access games that I don't like. When the game is finished I'll think about buying it, but until then I don't want to see it on the steam frontpage.
#17arleasPosted 5/5/2014 12:10:33 PM
Valve has already decided they don't have the time to do "quality control". Instead they chose to put the control in our hands with greenlight (even though they've decided that was pretty much a failure). The next step was to allow us to write reviews so we can let others know if a game is bad. I'm sure eventually they'll open it wide to everyone who wants to publish anything at all.

I don't really have a problem with it. Just because it's on the steam store doesn't mean I have to buy it. I avoided War Z/Infestation stories didn't I? I can do that with what other crap pops up.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#18KillerTrufflePosted 5/5/2014 12:12:15 PM
Indie games are produced at a much higher rate than major titles, so yes, new indie games will outnumber new AAA titles. Logic wouldn't have it any other way.

As for filtering, it used to be that games depended largely on Greenlight to make it onto Steam's main page, but my understanding is that's relaxed a bit (a lot?). Still, users can offer reviews and stuff, which can help others decide among the thousands of options.

I think the one thing I do wish Steam would set up is a much more prominent rating system, including allowing indie games to be filtered by rating. So far, the only thing it bases it on is Metacritic, and few indie games ever get a Metacritic score. In-house ratings would be nice, although they'd be subject to just about as much abuse as Metacritic is... That's really the only way I can think of they could reasonably filter it all tho.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#19pwnater777Posted 5/5/2014 12:15:48 PM
Quality control would be definitely helpful. I mean, I wonder how some games like Garry's Incident or Takedown: Red Sabre are even able to be on there.
---
"That's NASCAR tactics."
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe
#20TruePowerSeekerPosted 5/5/2014 12:17:33 PM
Clouddx posted...
drink posted...

We should petition to get DkS removed from Steam then, as well as many of the older games on Steam that require tweaking to work on newer OS.

Older games are a whole different thing. Those need to be released into their own section and not be marked with the wrong release date. Also they need to have warnings on the steam page that state clearly that it is an older title and may require tweaking to run on modern systems.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alX4leh13s8