This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steam has been completely overrun by Indie games.

#31MarceloSampaioPosted 5/5/2014 1:34:00 PM
While I'm not a huge fan of Indies, I don't mind that they are there. Nobody is forcing me to buy them.
---
If Mario was made for PCs:
http://i.imgur.com/quKMdjB.jpg
#32TheOppositePosted 5/5/2014 1:39:16 PM(edited)
I don't care who makes a game as long as it's good. The issue isn't the quality of the games, though, it's the number. There is an absolutely overwhelming number of independently-made video games now, so many that even if a game is good I don't really care enough about it to even look at it. It's like E. T. for Atari 2600 is coming out again, only this time there's 10,000 of it.
#33arleasPosted 5/5/2014 1:38:59 PM
Every time this debate comes up it's always down to this:
"When I look at the steam store page I only want to see certain things. I demand that they remove the things I don't want to see!"

TOO BAD. Stuff you don't want to see is stuff other people are looking for. I'm sure if Valve put something up on the store page and it got really poor sales they'd move it off the front quickly. They're going to put stuff up that people are willing to pay for even if that stuff is stuff you personally dislike.

I see tons of MMO and F2P junk on the front store page. I'm not interested in any of that but I'm not childishly demanding they remove it. I ignore it and go on. It's not that difficult. Early Access is clearly marked, I can browse the store by category if I prefer to see a certain kind of game, and the tag system means I can browse for some non-standard categories as well.

I guess what steam needs to do is to allow users to customize the store pages according to their liking so that these people offended by Early Access and/or Indie games can remove them.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#34TheSchref(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2014 1:42:56 PM
arleas posted...
"When I look at the steam store page I only want to see certain things. I demand that they remove the things I don't want to see!"

TOO BAD. Stuff you don't want to see is stuff other people are looking for. I'm sure if Valve put something up on the store page and it got really poor sales they'd move it off the front quickly. They're going to put stuff up that people are willing to pay for even if that stuff is stuff you personally dislike.

I see tons of MMO and F2P junk on the front store page. I'm not interested in any of that but I'm not childishly demanding they remove it. I ignore it and go on. It's not that difficult. Early Access is clearly marked, I can browse the store by category if I prefer to see a certain kind of game, and the tag system means I can browse for some non-standard categories as well.

I guess what steam needs to do is to allow users to customize the store pages according to their liking so that these people offended by Early Access and/or Indie games can remove them.

I think you need to take a breadth. Nobody is demanding anything. Nobody is childishly crying. We're having a discussion. Anyway, my problem isn't so much that the front page is filled with indie games, it's more that these indie games aren't even completed.
#35KillerTrufflePosted 5/5/2014 1:47:57 PM
CELTEKK posted...
the reason I keep saying it is because it is, in fact, true.

the game is an unoptimized, bug-filled, horrid piece of garbage.

Did you actually try following - STEP BY STEP - the directions I gave you in the other thread?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=113161476

Not only does that link give you the download for the unofficial patch, but it also tells you exactly how to set everything up, including compatibility mode, setting both Steam and Bloodlines to run as admin, making sure you point the patch to the correct folder for VtM, and even running the aspect ratio converter tool.

I followed those directions exactly, and I've encountered exactly one bug: a single crash to desktop, which I immediately restarted the game and reloaded from the last autosave. Continued on from there, and have had no further issues.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#36KillerTrufflePosted 5/5/2014 1:52:30 PM
arleas posted...

I agree to an extent, which is why I wouldn't promote hiding indie games from the front page, or any other genre really. I actually think the non-game "software" stuff shouldn't see the front page, but I wouldn't argue for that.

I still see that as quite a bit different from early access tho. Early access is a whole new beast, and making it too common and too prominent on the front page will indeed encourage the release of games in perpetual development or some that will probably never actually be finished. I'm not saying get rid of them, but I still do feel like the Steam front page ought to be reserved for games that are actually complete, rather than works in progress that are sometimes barely even playable.

Yes, it's still just my opinion, but IN my opinion, games should earn their spot on the front page by being complete - meaning out of beta, all planned features included and working, with the typical polish expected of a finished game. Works in progress/early access need their own separate area.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#37TropicMoon10Posted 5/5/2014 1:55:10 PM
I don't mind the opening of indie floodgates as much as I'm annoyed by the fact that dozens of random 90s and 2000s games are being added weekly. It's always the same few publishers making it happen too. They shouldn't be anywhere near the "new releases" tab on the main page.

My only hope is that we'll run out of old games to add... eventually.
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#38calcyclePosted 5/5/2014 1:55:43 PM
Early Access and Indie is fine. It's the publishers who dump their back catalogs, most of whom are eastern european, onto steam because they don't have to go through greenlight again due to passing only 1 game through it means they can pass as many games as they want without restriction.

If we made it so indie games needed greenlight even if their previous game passed it before, it would stop the sudden rush of bad games we have been experiencing.
---
Do not add to the Chocolate of Coach, or worship false Bills for this will imprison thou within the Blood Harvest finale for all eternity
Steam: Albatrossing
#39DiviDudePosted 5/5/2014 2:05:29 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
CELTEKK posted...
the reason I keep saying it is because it is, in fact, true.

the game is an unoptimized, bug-filled, horrid piece of garbage.

Did you actually try following - STEP BY STEP - the directions I gave you in the other thread?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=113161476

Not only does that link give you the download for the unofficial patch, but it also tells you exactly how to set everything up, including compatibility mode, setting both Steam and Bloodlines to run as admin, making sure you point the patch to the correct folder for VtM, and even running the aspect ratio converter tool.

I followed those directions exactly, and I've encountered exactly one bug: a single crash to desktop, which I immediately restarted the game and reloaded from the last autosave. Continued on from there, and have had no further issues.

I've also played through the game on Windows XP, Vista, and 7 with minimal bugs (and no crashes than I can recall.) I suspect user error, as is often (usually?) the case.
#40arleasPosted 5/5/2014 2:06:23 PM
TheSchref posted...
I think you need to take a breadth. Nobody is demanding anything. Nobody is childishly crying. We're having a discussion. Anyway, my problem isn't so much that the front page is filled with indie games, it's more that these indie games aren't even completed.

I see it as overreacting. It's not that big of a deal but your topic is worded as if it was some huge crisis in the making. It's also not the first time this topic has popped up so when I talk about demands and childishness that's for the whole topic in general.

Perhaps you're the one who needs to take a "breadth".
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png