This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Rate the RPG taste of the poster above you

#11SampsonMPosted 5/6/2014 7:39:22 AM
the_dracolich posted...
MedianXL is an overrated mod of Diablo 2.

MarceloSampaio posted...

As for my games:

1. Valkyrie Profile;
2. Xenogears;
3. Fallout 2.

J(RPG wannabe) s*** and (3) the most clunky and outdated UI in an RPG I've ever played

Mine:
1. Diablo 2 (only with PlugY mod, no MedianXL, Eastern Sun or other "total crapversion" mods)
2. Baldur's Gate 2
3. Arcanum

1. God-tier game, but not an RPG. It's a hack-n-slash
2. Overrated
3. Never played, but looks like a combination of the other two

Overall, your tastes seem fairly straightforward -- you like iso-metric point-and-click games with RPG elements.

Mine:
1. Suikoden 2
2. Lufia 2
3. Final Fantasy 1
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
#12Tyranius2(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2014 8:02:51 AM
How is Diablo II not an RPG?
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#13_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 5/6/2014 8:23:46 AM(edited)
SampsonM posted...
Mine:
1. Suikoden 2
2. Lufia 2
3. Final Fantasy 1

9/10. These are some of my all time favorites. Suikoden was one of the most epic things I had ever played (number of characters and epic scale of the story). Lufia I still remember well because I played a Dutch translation of the game (weird..). I loved it though. I can not really evaluate FF1 properly, because I played it so many years after it came out, that by then some of the things that were unique about it had become common in RPGs.

Mine:
1. Secret of mana (specifically because it allowed for 2 players and I could play with my bro, also real time combat)
2. Final Fantasy 6 (3 in the US)
3. Super Mario RPG

Honorable mention:
- Terranigma. Something about that game was magical, but it was just a little bit less special to me than my top 3. Like Secret of mana, one of the things I liked was the real time combat that was done exceptionally well.

- Illusion of time. This one was perhaps the most wondrous kind of "high-fantasy" RPG's that I got to play. Not surprising, again, real time combat.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie EC1 Evo White | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | AKG k550 | Samsung S24A350H
#14SampsonMPosted 5/6/2014 8:31:45 AM(edited)
^Won't rate you because you rated me, but to add to the discussion:

Diablo 2 is clearly not an RPG. It is a point and click hack-n-slash; a separate genre along with games like Torchlight, Dungeon Siege, etc.

Just because you level up and equip things does not make it an RPG. If that was the case, most Castlevania games would also be considered RPGs, which they are clearly not.

RPGs fall into two broad categories -- western and eastern (JPRG). Eastern RPGs are derivatives of Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy. Western RPGs are derivatives of Boulder's Gate, and Fallout. If I told you a new game was coming out and it was a "western RPG" or a "JPRG" you would instantly form a mental picture with a certain set of expectations. If it was a JRPG, you'd probably think of a turn-based, random battle system. Characters with spiky hair, etc. Western RPG and you'd think open world, with highly customizable characters and a level of exploration.

If a Diablo-like game was coming out, I would say, "This new game is coming out, it's a hack-n-slash."
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
#15_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 5/6/2014 8:37:02 AM(edited)
Tyranius2 posted...
How is Diablo II not an RPG?

The genre is called action RPG, so I guess technically it is an RPG. But despite the name of the genre having "RPG" in it, and sharing some gameplay elements, I do not think of action RPGs as traditional RPGs. They are really their own genre.

When, or when not, to call something an RPG is kind of a pointless conversation. However, I do feel that Diablo differs so much from what we traditionally call an RPG, that it could be argued that the comparison of the two is complicated, since the most important elements that make them what they are seem so different.

So regardless of what you want to call them, for the sake of comparison or making lists of games that fall into the same category, I agree with Sampson that it is better to leave them out. But do as you will. Your topic.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie EC1 Evo White | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | AKG k550 | Samsung S24A350H
#16APanasonicYouthPosted 5/6/2014 8:39:06 AM
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...
SampsonM posted...
Mine:
1. Suikoden 2
2. Lufia 2
3. Final Fantasy 1

9/10. These are some of my all time favorites. Suikoden was one of the most epic things I had ever played (number of characters and epic scale of the story). Lufia I still remember well because I played a Dutch translation of the game (weird..). I loved it though. I can not really evaluate FF1 properly, because I played it so many years after it came out, that by then some of the things that were unique about it had become common in RPGs.

Mine:
1. Secret of mana (specifically because it allowed for 2 players and I could play with my bro, also real time combat)
3. Super Mario RPG

Honorable mention:
- Terranigma. Something about that game was magical, but it was just a little bit less special to me than my top 3. Like Secret of mana, one of the things I liked was the real time combat that was done exceptionally well.

- Illusion of time. This one was perhaps the most wondrous kind of "high-fantasy" RPG's that I got to play. Not surprising, again, real time combat.

Pretty good. I played Final Fantasy Adventure (precursor to SoM) on Game Boy and that's what got me into RPGs. Love that game. Never finished FF6 but it was great. Never got to play SMRPG.

1. Ogre Battle 64
2. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
3. Tossup between Dark Souls/Fallout 3/Fallout NV
---
And now presenting your St. Louis Cardinals! 11 in '11
GT: APanasonicYouth /// Playing: Dark Souls II (360)
#17DarkshowersPosted 5/6/2014 8:39:26 AM
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...

Mine:
3. Super Mario RPG

8/10

Good choices for the SNES era of rpgs. I loved Secret of Mana's coop too and you could play the entire game with at least 2 other players. FF6 is most likely the best Final Fantasy game ever made and Mario RPG is a solid choice.

Mine:

1. Baldur's Gate
2. Nethergate
3. Icewind Dale

Also, Secret of Mana falls into the same category as Diablo 2. It's an action rpg.
#18Tyranius2(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2014 8:47:30 AM
Sampson, then you must believe that very few JRPGs exist. Even the later Final Fantasies, you have set characters with very little character building, something Diablo II has more of and it has silent characters with no personality, so you can actually role-play if you want.

If you see Final Fantasy or other traditional JRPGs [like the Tales of games] as an RPG then Diablo II is by consequence an RPG as well.
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#19phy2jshPosted 5/6/2014 8:49:41 AM
*Hipster and pedantry topic alert*
#20SampsonMPosted 5/6/2014 8:54:36 AM(edited)
Tyranius2 posted...
Sampson, then you must believe that very few JRPGs exist. Even the later Final Fantasies, you have set characters with very little character building, something Diablo II has more of and it has silent characters with no personality, so you can actually role-play if you want.

If you see Final Fantasy or other traditional JRPGs [like the Tales of games] as an RPG then Diablo II is by consequence an RPG as well.

Oh man. not this ancient argument.

To be clear: role playing =/= RPG.

That's what the genre is called, because it was originally inspired by table-top D&D. But role playing has absolutely nothing to do with RPG video games.

Genres are fluid and objective categories, so it's open to interpretation. But Diablo II is about as similar to Final Fantasy and Baulder's Gate, as Super Mario is to Streets of Rage and Double Dragon.
---