This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Rate the RPG taste of the poster above you

#21Tyranius2(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2014 8:59:56 AM
But Diablo II is about as similar to Final Fantasy and Baulder's Gate, as Super Mario is to Streets of Rage.

It doesn't need to be. One game doesn't need to be similar to its precursors to be a set genre. In the 20th century when someone said "Adventure game" you would instantly think about a point and click Adventure game. Fast-forward to more recent times and you get games like Grim Fandango where there's no point-and-clicking at all, yet it's still an adventure game.

Genres have their branches. There are first person dungeon crawling RPGs [you forgot about those], isometric view RPGs, traditional JRPGs and other kinds. It's not the black and white definition of "either it's final fantasy-like or baldur's gate-like" you believe it is.
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#22the_dracolichPosted 5/6/2014 9:11:10 AM
SampsonM posted...
1. God-tier game, but not an RPG. It's a hack-n-slash
2. Overrated
3. Never played, but looks like a combination of the other two

Overall, your tastes seem fairly straightforward -- you like iso-metric point-and-click games with RPG elements.

Funny how you post this nonsense and then proceed with listing J"RPG"s:

Mine:
1. Suikoden 2
2. Lufia 2
3. Final Fantasy 1

Diablo and similar games are Action-RPGs, not hack&slash. Hack&Slash is something made up by haters of the sub-genre. Diablo may not be a traditional RPG, but it's more of an RPG compared to JRPGs.

And I just hate people misspelling Baldur's Gate, I swear it's the most misspelled video game name.
---
Immune to criticals, criticism, negative board level, etc.
#23charlton3kPosted 5/6/2014 9:12:49 AM(edited)
Darkshowers posted...

Mine:

1. Baldur's Gate
2. Nethergate
3. Icewind Dale

Also, Secret of Mana falls into the same category as Diablo 2. It's an action rpg.

Very nice, I grew up with the forgotten realm games :D but they got replaced when i got my consoles, which brings me too;

1 Morrowind
2. Lost Odyssey
3. Tales of Graces
---
Craphex
I play every game across every platform. Everything in one place: http://raptr.com/charlton3k/about
#24SampsonMPosted 5/6/2014 9:12:28 AM
Sure, and even within WRPGs and JRPGs there are distinctions.

For example, Xenosaga is about a 25 hour game -- one-fifth of that is cut-scenes. Contrast that with FF1 -- there are no cuts-scenes whatsoever, in fact there's hardly any story.

But where do you draw the line? You have to set a boundary somewhere. IMO, Diablo and Diablo-like games so radically different as to be a completely different genre. You may disagree, but if so please answer this question:

Is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night an RPG? Why or why not?
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
#25SampsonMPosted 5/6/2014 9:15:30 AM
Diablo and similar games are Action-RPGs, not hack&slash. Hack&Slash is something made up by haters of the sub-genre. Diablo may not be a traditional RPG, but it's more of an RPG compared to JRPGs.

Absurd straw man argument.

From about 1985-2005 JRPGs were far more popular than their western counterparts, which were pretty much limited to PCs and restricted to a few developers (Sierra, etc).

Diablo II is one of my all-time favorite games. I swear I spent probably 2000 hours playing that game, I was absolutely addicted to it at one point in my life, probably to an unhealthy degree. Calling it hack-n-slash is not a derogatory term, it is just a better explanation of its gameplay than the term RPG.
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
#26Tyranius2(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2014 9:22:56 AM
I don't see SotN as an RPG because character building is almost non-existent.
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#27zhenghanPosted 5/6/2014 9:23:28 AM
Chrono Trigger
Seiken Densetsu 3
---
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish
#28KillerTrufflePosted 5/6/2014 9:24:50 AM
charlton3k posted...
1 Morrowind
2. Lost Odyssey
3. Tales of Graces

Not bad... Morrowind is my favorite of the ES series, and most all the Tales games are good. Haven't played Lost Odyssey, so I'm not entirely familiar with that one tho.

1) Planescape: Torment
2) Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
3) Morrowind
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#29SampsonMPosted 5/6/2014 9:26:01 AM
Tyranius2 posted...
I don't see SotN as an RPG because character building is almost non-existent.

What do you define as "character building"? Alucard levels up. He gets magic skills. You can equip him with different abilities and equipment that change his attributes.

Here's another example: Borderlands. Is that an RPG? Again, why or why not? You have equipment, there are skill trees.

What about Zelda?

Fundamentally, I think what defines an RPG is the battle system. A game must have either a turn-based battle system (like most JRPGs) or a real-time battle system you'd find in WRPGs.
---
#30ZombieAkanePosted 5/6/2014 9:28:01 AM
charlton3k posted...
Darkshowers posted...

Mine:

1. Baldur's Gate
2. Nethergate
3. Icewind Dale

Also, Secret of Mana falls into the same category as Diablo 2. It's an action rpg.

Very nice, I grew up with the forgotten realm games :D but they got replaced when i got my consoles, which brings me too;

1 Morrowind
2. Lost Odyssey
3. Tales of Graces

Morrowind is a classic and was the first of its kind -- a paragon of its time.
Tales of Graces I have always heard great things about and I personally have always wanted to play it, albeit Tales of Graces F.

A lot of people ITT seem to like Lost Odessey, yet I have not heard of this game, I should look into it, usually I have heard of the classics because all other games are compared to them.

I give you a 9/10.

My own personal tastes? A lot of RPG's mentioned here are old school so I may come under fire but;

1) World Of Warcraft

Despite me not playing this game anymore, I can't ignore that I did play it from 2004-2012 and no single game has lasted that long for me, there were days that I spent 14 hours playing and still felt like I could accomplish more. It's too big a part of my life to neglect from my top 3.
In fact, because of WoW I did not play any AAA releases until D3 came out, that's something to be said.

Is WoW even a RPG? Well, that argument seems to already be rampant ITT, so I'll just stay out of that.

2) Final Fantasy X

Not much to say other than it's my favourite single player game of all time and that includes all genres of the sort.

I loved the storytelling, gameplay, graphics and the fact that it was turn based.

3) It's a toss up between KOTOR and Skyrim... Going to say Skyrim.

Skyrim, huge sandbox game, lots of lore etc. Loved it.
---
[b]Should have named it the Xbox 720p, because when you see the pixels you turn 720 degrees and burn to death as you walk away.[/b]