This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anybody else find it impossible to be "wowed" by games anymore?

#1noimnoturdaddyPosted 5/7/2014 10:26:03 AM(edited)
I can take a long break and then pick up whatever's supposed to be a "hot" title at that time, and it's just "meh" to me.

Indie games looked promising at first, with things like "Braid" and "Super Meat Boy", but it's really just been more of that ever since. Games doing the "retro" thing, which if I want I'll just go play retro games that have already done it right, or indie devs trying so hard to be different that the games they make don't feel like they work very well at all. Like we've discovered all that could be discovered in the realm of video games, now it's just doing the same things with better effects. And even that has diminishing returns, graphical leaps aren't as impressive as they used to be, either.

I don't really keep playing because it's interesting, more out of habit, whenever I "quit" I realize there isn't much else to do with the time I'd otherwise be spending playing games anyway.
---
"Are you Ron Swanson?" - CatToy to me, upon realizing what a manly man I am
#2noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2014 10:26:27 AM
This is probably how lifelong smokers feel.
---
"Are you Ron Swanson?" - CatToy to me, upon realizing what a manly man I am
#3r0ge00Posted 5/7/2014 10:27:02 AM
Not impossible by any means, just a lot more rare depending on your sampling size.
#4SinisterSlayPosted 5/7/2014 10:30:26 AM
No, but I am picky about my games.
I'm sure the next mount & blade will wow me.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#5KillerTrufflePosted 5/7/2014 10:31:46 AM
Not impossible, but much more rare. C&C Generals wowed me. Unreal wowed me. Crysis wowed me - although to a lesser extent at that point. And there have been some others. But it has become a lot less common than it used to be.

Similarly, the most memorable "wow" moment EVER for me in movies was 5 minutes into The Matrix, with Trinity's fight scene. Pretty much from there to the end of the movie, my mouth never closed thanks to all the new special effects that had never really been seen before.

I'm old enough and have seen enough advances now tho that while I might still see things here or there that are neat, it's more of a "that's pretty cool" reaction instead of "holy crap!"
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#6DiviDudePosted 5/7/2014 10:34:26 AM
That's just called "getting older". People tend to react the same way to, say, music after a certain age.
#7maybecallsPosted 5/7/2014 10:37:21 AM
Thank TaleWorlds for the Mount and Blade games. Not much else I really like these days.
#8MarceloSampaioPosted 5/7/2014 10:41:01 AM(edited)
Nope.

I play games since the Atari 2600 era, yet games nowdays still wow me quite easily.

Recently, Bioshock Infinite 'wowed' me with its amazing landscapes. Then I played Saints Row 4, and was wowed in the intro when "I don't want to miss a thing" started playing. ^^

I'm easily amused and easily wowed. I feel lucky because of this. Not a single year goes by without a few games manage to wow me. ^^

One thing I should mention is that age changed my taste in games for the best, actually. Now that I'm 31, I feel that I enjoy the games more. Not only new games, when I play an older gamer, I feel that I'm having more fun with it than in the past.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-and-please-understand-5.png
#9KillerTrufflePosted 5/7/2014 10:39:52 AM
MarceloSampaio posted...
Nope.

I play games since the Atari 2600 era, yet games nowdays still wow me quite easily.

Recently, Bioshock Infinite 'wowed' me with its amazing landscapes. Then I played Saints Row 4, and was wowed in the intro when "I don't want to miss a thing" started playing. ^^

I'm easily amused and easily wowed. I feel lucky because of this. Not a single year goes by without a few games manage to wow me. ^^

Yeah, you are lucky then. I can still easily appreciate things, but it's much more difficult to really wow me.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#10TheSchrefPosted 5/7/2014 10:41:03 AM(edited)
It's kind of funny. I played Super Smash Brothers Melee back when it released and I played it off an on for 5 or 6 years and thought it was an awesome game. A little over a month ago I started playing (trying to get competitively good) and it "wowed" me after I picked it back up.

It took a 13 year old game to give me that feeling again, lol.