This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anybody else find it impossible to be "wowed" by games anymore?

#11BeerOnTapPosted 5/7/2014 10:42:26 AM
Surprisingly, Max Payne 3 wowed me.
It's so violent and awesome.
#12Orestes417Posted 5/7/2014 10:47:12 AM
Trick is to avoid hype like lepers.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#13Bossdog421Posted 5/7/2014 10:58:53 AM
I haven't been wowed by a game in a long time. The games that i do end up enjoying aren't as great as i remember some of the older games i loved.

It could be my age showing or it could be the evolution of the new age gamer. Mediocrity seems to be praised and anything else positive or negative is blown out of proportion.
---
Type into Google - do a barrel roll
#14Garage_ManPosted 5/7/2014 11:07:26 AM
I have been dipping into the PS1 library lately. I missed out on a lot growing up and some of these games are just amazing. Where I can name 10 good titles from last gen I can name many many more off the PS1 ALONE.

I think games have just changed a lot. It is no longer what it is and I don't think it will be likely to return :(
#15crawdadPosted 5/7/2014 11:27:37 AM
I'm going to get laughed at this but I don;t care.

I still get wowed when I feel like i reached what the developers attempted to get from its audience.
Bio Shock infinite wowed me.
Arkham City Wowed me
BattleField 3 Wowed me
Even TitanFall wowed me. It was so cool watching the animation and doing what the trailers said I could do, being picked up and placed into my Titan, sliding under it while it grabs me, using it's arm as a bridge to go inside it. And then watching Friendlies storming in their titans while looked onwards and "feeling" the ground shaking from them running.

Admittedly I can be easily impressed, but i feel like i can be critical too. For me it comes down to how much effort and what was accomplished from that effort.

I wasn't wowed by the Consoles VSNYC issues or low res. but I still enjoy it.

Also the PhysX from BL2 still wow me (Singularity grenades anyone?)
---
"it was a slow go" - gmo7897. I'm an expert at the Monster Mash.
GT: Gojirra | PSN: Gojirra102 | steamcommunity.com/id/crawdad
#16noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2014 11:44:09 AM(edited)
It isn't hype or age, I feel like it's mostly a dive in quality. DA2 didn't wow me because of hype or "I've seen it all before", it's because it was actually a really bad game. CoD doesn't wow me, not because of hype or age, but because it's just CoD Modern Warfare ad nauseam now.

Bioshock Infinite... yeah, graphically it was pretty amazing, but the gameplay didn't feel as good as Bioshock 1. 1999 mode was supposed to deliver a classic experience, all it actually did was turn enemies that were already bullet sponges into even greater bullet sponges, and hunting for those pins for Elizabeth to use was ridiculously tedious.

I'm with the guy who said going to older games has more "wow" factor than playing the next big AAA title. That's what I'm talking about. It's like going to those games, where gameplay was king because graphically they couldn't do **** all, scratches some kind of itch that all these games keep missing. Do people really care about physics and lighting effects so much that it wows them more than games that actually play really well? I guess yes, since that's where the industry focus is now, which would explain why people like me can't be wowed by what modern studios are pumping out.

It isn't an "age" thing. That's a huge copout. There is still music that comes out today that I enjoy, it's just harder to find because most music is derivative radio crap with increasing technical polish (because we have the means to robotize everything, so why not, right? Right?). That's what most games are to me these days. More technical polish, less soul.
---
"Are you Ron Swanson?" - CatToy to me, upon realizing what a manly man I am
#17Joni_CunninghamPosted 5/7/2014 11:43:50 AM
play better games
---
It's so erotic when your makeup runs
http://myanimelist.net/profile/SephkaBlight | http://i.imgur.com/XrwO8ao.gif
#18noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2014 11:52:05 AM(edited)
Joni_Cunningham posted...
play better games

Recommend me some. Most recent one I got into was Dark Souls 2, and that felt like a lesser Dark Souls 1, which I didn't think was as good as Demon's Souls (felt like change for the sake of change, as opposed to genuine improvement).

Child of Light feels like it's trying to be a mix of the artsy 2D craze that Braid revived, while being a JRPG at the same time in roughly 10 hours, and doesn't do anything gameplay wise very well at all. Great graphics and a great soundtrack, but those don't make games great.
---
#19Worknofun370Posted 5/7/2014 11:51:39 AM
I'm wowed by games about as much as I was one I was a young. (about 1 year)

But... it's really only games. Movies and Music don't wow me nearly as much. Kinda weird, but I'll take it over not being wowed by anything.
#20noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2014 11:58:04 AM(edited)
Actually my topic is a bit of a lie, "Teslagrad" did impress me quite a bit when I played it, but that wasn't so much to it being a new experience, but a well-executed mash-up of previous experiences (had the Metroidvania element, the Braid audio/visual style, memorable boss fights), and in a sea of derivative garbage that gets released feeling like there was little effort involved in its making, Teslagrad really stood out.

So it isn't impossible, it's more or less that I don't get the feeling developers are trying to "wow" anymore, they're simply maintaining status quo. Which is a lot less work, and if it pays the same as "wowing", then that explains itself. As the philosopher Fatboy Slim once put it, why try harder?
---