This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anybody else find it impossible to be "wowed" by games anymore?

#4130aught6Posted 5/7/2014 8:12:15 PM
LOLIAmAnAlt posted...
The last game to 'Wow' me was Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.
Everything about that game 'wow'ed me to no extent.
Graphics, art style, gameplay, humor, everything.
The only issue I had was that it was about an hour or two too short.

Likewise. I'm more impressed with visual style and gameplay that polycount or texture resolution.

Hopefully VR will change that in the not-too-distant future.
---
| i7-3930K | MSI BB-XP II | GTX 680 4GB X2 | CORSAIR DDR3 32GB | TT Grand 1200W | SG 240GB SSD | WD 4TB HD | Fractal XLR2 |
#42farigontiPosted 5/7/2014 8:42:41 PM
Big nope.
---
FC= 3265-4867-8550
#43Spawn_LOLsPosted 5/7/2014 8:46:37 PM
noimnoturdaddy posted...
I can take a long break and then pick up whatever's supposed to be a "hot" title at that time, and it's just "meh" to me.

Indie games looked promising at first, with things like "Braid" and "Super Meat Boy", but it's really just been more of that ever since. Games doing the "retro" thing, which if I want I'll just go play retro games that have already done it right, or indie devs trying so hard to be different that the games they make don't feel like they work very well at all. Like we've discovered all that could be discovered in the realm of video games, now it's just doing the same things with better effects. And even that has diminishing returns, graphical leaps aren't as impressive as they used to be, either.

I don't really keep playing because it's interesting, more out of habit, whenever I "quit" I realize there isn't much else to do with the time I'd otherwise be spending playing games anyway.

Work out, read, study, watch a good tv series, call your parents, go out on a walk, and so on, there is always something else to do
#44noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2014 8:58:53 PM
Spawn_LOLs posted...
Work out, read, study, watch a good tv series, call your parents, go out on a walk, and so on, there is always something else to do

I do all of that, as my OP stated extended breaks don't make the "wow" factor come back, and as one of my later posts stated going back to old school games after playing modern games gives me more "wow" factor. More like "wow how did we mess it up so bad that these old games impress me more than modern games".
---
"Are you Ron Swanson?" - CatToy to me, upon realizing what a manly man I am
#45noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2014 9:05:50 PM(edited)
I mean gaming goes through trends, right? People don't see how it's possible that the current trends can be totally unsatisfying to part of the consumer base? To me it's a matter of "one-size-fits all" - here's the state of the industry right now, if a person doesn't like it, then hopefully it ends up doing something that excites them later on.

I think I've already stated that in here anyway. Like, there are kinds of games I'd like, but the ones that are being made that I *should* like aren't as high quality as games that have already been made.

Which is perfectly possible. I don't know how to explain it without going into a crappy metaphor, so I'm just going to do it. Someone builds a perfect car. I love it. Then someone builds another car that's modeled after the perfect car, and it hits a lot of the right notes, but it doesn't execute them as well, so it doesn't drive like the perfect car, even though every design aspect of it indicates that it was built from the ground up to be the exact same thing.

There are people who are virtuosos at what they do and their work can't be cloned. I feel like the golden age of games was basically the virtuosos having a lot of fun charting everything out, and now it's just the people afterwards running with what's already been done about as good as it'll ever be done.
---
#46EternalNetherPosted 5/7/2014 9:08:18 PM
It's much more difficult for me, personally. And I'm only 24. I attribute it to my interest in games greatly decreasing, and my fondness for smaller, faster, mobile games increasing in appeal, as well as just laying around watching movies and TV. I'm being casualized.

The last game to truly blow me away and almost move me to tears was, believe it or not, Guild Wars 2. I'd been looking forward to it for so long, waited every day from its announcement, scoured sites, discussed, etc. Then the beta came out, and I finally went in. It was everything I wanted and more, then that beautiful music kicked in, and I actually teared up a bit.

Graphically I was blown away by Infamous Second Son. But no game since GW2 has blown me away on all levels. I figure in a few years I'll end up giving up mainline gaming for good. Sad day that will be.
---
Steam ID/PSN ID: Solirus
Currently Playing:Infamous Second Son (PS4), FFX/X-2 HD (PS3),
#47Sergei_DukanovPosted 5/7/2014 9:08:35 PM
Add me to it. I see it as games just arent as good as they used to be. They lack a good story and focus heavily in multi player. I remember playing halo for the first time on the xbox and it made me go out and buy one. I remember watching and playing generals on a friends house and going and buying a PC that could run it. Now days, only things that still wow me are building legos, pc's, tuning my cars and building the ever so criminalized ar 15. Other than that, gaming has gotten pretty stale. I still have games that I like, but I cant play them for more than around 30min to a hour into them.
---
FX8350 @ 4.4ghz| Kraken X60| SA R9 290 x2 | ASRock 990fx Extreme9| 16 gigs ripjaws ddr3| Evo 240GB ssd| 1TB cuda'| antec 750W| NZXT Phantom white and red.
#48noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2014 9:12:11 PM(edited)
Or if you look at things like the Rolling Stones, the Doors, Jimi Hendrix, acts like that, have other rock bands topped that? Or do people that like that kind of music listen to the classic acts every now and then, and get depressed when they realize that that kind of music has already been done as good as it'll ever be done? There are bands like "Queens of the Stone Age" which are excellent mashups of that kind of music, but it still isn't as good as what it's emulating.

That's how I feel about the type of games that I'm interested in. It isn't an "age" thing, it's more the creative well has run dry. Like they all retired or got old and greedy and uninspired, or maybe a businessman just went into the studio one day, took all the free spirits out back and shot them, then went back inside and told everyone they were going to be operating like a factory from then on out, or we just did those games as good as they could be done so people just don't try with it anymore.

Like hippie rock. Or grunge.
---
#49lazycomplifePosted 5/7/2014 9:43:27 PM
DiviDude posted...
That's just called "getting older". People tend to react the same way to, say, music after a certain age.

I agree with this guy. Just try your best to enjoy things and keep going.
---
Official Swinub
3DS Friend Code: 0602-6783-9027 - Friend safari: ICE type: Delibird, Bergmite, Dewgong
#50Cool_Dude667Posted 5/7/2014 9:48:50 PM
Nope, I don't have absurd expectations usually.
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi