This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How often do you build a new PC?

#11KillerTrufflePosted 5/7/2014 3:32:17 PM
WTF kind of survey is this? Where is "never?" Because seriously - I have not purchased a new desktop since 1998. I've only continued to upgrade the one I've had, piece by piece. Never at any time have I purchased enough hardware to build an entirely new working computer. But also never at any time have I been unable to play any current game I want at medium or higher settings (and typically on high/ultra).
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#12Lonestar2000Posted 5/7/2014 3:37:04 PM(edited)
April 2007
Gaming laptop
2 GHz Core 2 Duo
7900 GS Go 256MB
2GBs of DDR2 RAM

December 2008
Desktop
3.0 GHz E8400
Asus P5Q Pro
4GBs of DDR2 RAM
HD 4850 512 MB
CM 690
Antec Earthwatts 500W

November 2010
Antec Earthwatts 750W

January 2011
GTX 460 1GB

January 2013
GTX 660 Ti 2GB

June 2013
ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
16GBs of DDR3 RAM

November 2013
Intel 530 240GB SSD
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#13Jeffw88Posted 5/7/2014 3:48:43 PM
whenever there is a significant jump in performance.
For example, I'm still using Phenom II from 2011, and no processor right now seems worth it for a decent upgrade for its price.
GPU however was upgraded to HD 7870 in 2013 from GTX 460 in 2012 which was from HD 4670 from 2009.

GPU seems to have massive performance upgrade but CPU does not.
---
Just because you think it is right, it doesn't make it right for everyone. Even you.
You're being trolled only if you let them.
#14Orestes417Posted 5/7/2014 3:51:19 PM
Whenever something I want to do warrants a significant upgrade. sometimes that's every other year sometimes it's been as long as six years between. It's all about the intended use and the requirements thereof.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#15KillerTrufflePosted 5/7/2014 3:51:20 PM
Psythik posted...
Zachnorn posted...
I built my PC in 2007. I did a major upgrade in 2013, replacing its CPU/mobo/RAM. So in a way, I built a new PC and in a way I didn't and I'm using a nearly 7 year old computer now.
Yeah that counts as a new build.

Does not. :P I'd like to see you buy nothing but a CPU/mobo/RAM and use it to do any computing. You also need at *minimum* a hard drive or other storage, and a PSU - and that's assuming the motherboard has integrated video, which you know most people here don't rely on.

CPU/mobo/RAM is a major upgrade, but it is certainly not a whole new computer.

I've upgraded CPU/mobo/RAM before - 3 components - while keeping the old case, PSU, GPU, sound card, hard drives, and optical drives - 6 components, 3 of which are critical to a computer (mobo had no video).

I would say that to qualify as a whole new computer, you'd at *least* need a new CPU, mobo, RAM, some form of storage, and power supply. And that's only if you don't care about having a case for the thing. heh I'd even allow reuse of a case you already have, since the computer is technically the innards. But if you're missing any of those 5 components, it's not a working computer.
---
#16BogePosted 5/7/2014 4:09:36 PM
In the past it's been about every 3-4 years. I plan to really stick to my current machine, at least did...

My mother decided she needs a computer for her grand kids to play on, so I'm building myself a new one and giving her my 1 1/2 machine.

But this new machine, I plan to use for at least 6 years, maybe 8.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#17BogePosted 5/7/2014 4:11:08 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
WTF kind of survey is this? Where is "never?" Because seriously - I have not purchased a new desktop since 1998. I've only continued to upgrade the one I've had, piece by piece. Never at any time have I purchased enough hardware to build an entirely new working computer. But also never at any time have I been unable to play any current game I want at medium or higher settings (and typically on high/ultra).

You'd have to guess then about how many years you basically end up with a new machine. And just because you're still using that old 4x CD-ROM drive, doesn't mean you haven't built a new computer.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#182Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 5/7/2014 4:11:54 PM
I've only had two of my own PCs, one is an HP Pavilion dv7 laptop that I got for college four years ago and then I built my first desktop last June. I'm not looking to build anything new for a while, but hopefully I'll start working at a real job next summer and have more disposable income.
---
3DS: 5472-7481-8922
#19KillerTrufflePosted 5/7/2014 4:20:08 PM
Boge posted...
KillerTruffle posted...

You'd have to guess then about how many years you basically end up with a new machine. And just because you're still using that old 4x CD-ROM drive, doesn't mean you haven't built a new computer.

That also seems somewhat arbitrary tho - because if I upgrade my CPU/mobo/RAM combo, but keep everything else, then a year later get a new GPU, then 6 months later a new sound card, then 2 years after that, a PSU, etc... The argument would then be that buying *just* a new PSU 3 1/2 years after upgrading CPU/mobo/RAM would suddenly mean I have a new computer? Because after 3 1/2 years, I would certainly not consider my computer to be new just by buying a new power supply.

I'll grant that it's sort of a Ship of Theseus situation, but also like that, I'd say it's still quite debatable at what point - if ever - you can consider it a whole new thing, even though none of the original parts remain.
---