This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So I just got Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 EE.

#1LobomoonPosted 5/7/2014 5:16:36 PM
Should I start with 1 or can I go straight to 2? Are the stories related?
---
#2BacklogPosted 5/7/2014 5:20:30 PM
start with 1
---
Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.4 GHz | 2GB GeForce GTX 670 | 8GB 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H | 1TB HDD |
Gamertag: The Evil Zombie / PSN: invincibleonion
#3SneakiestNegPosted 5/7/2014 5:55:47 PM
You can import your endgame save in Shadows of Amn like mass effect. This is were that got started.
#4CatToyPosted 5/7/2014 6:04:26 PM
BG2 is technically a direct sequel but it's pretty self contained. You'll understand a bit more of the first few hours of game play if you played the first, but after the (lengthy) tutorial area, it diverges from the first game almost entirely. Some important elements from the first game are maintained, but BG2 generally treats the player as if he hasn't played the first game anyway.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#5GwendalPosted 5/7/2014 6:15:46 PM
CatToy posted...
BG2 is technically a direct sequel but it's pretty self contained. You'll understand a bit more of the first few hours of game play if you played the first, but after the (lengthy) tutorial area, it diverges from the first game almost entirely. Some important elements from the first game are maintained, but BG2 generally treats the player as if he hasn't played the first game anyway.

True, but you should also note that BG2 immediately spoils one of the biggest plot twists from BG1, in case you intend to play BG1 later at some point. There are also gameplay benefits to playing BG1 first, since you'll get the chance to find rare items to improve your stats, which will carry over to the sequel. Then again, you could always just use console commands to get those bonuses anyway if you start with BG2.
---
Currently playing:
Jade Empire (PC)
#6Lobomoon(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2014 6:38:45 PM
How long is BG1 EE?
---
#7CatToyPosted 5/7/2014 7:27:43 PM
They're both pretty long with BG2 being longer. I would say 40 hours is pretty reasonable for the first game.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#8SneakiestNegPosted 5/7/2014 7:36:22 PM
Imoen should have stayed a thief. There are so few thief characters in the second game.
Tiax rules all.
#9jake-sfPosted 5/7/2014 7:40:22 PM(edited)
Why would you skip BG1.

Nobody skips BG1.

BG1, BG2 and ToB are like one, big game.

I've never played one without the others, personally. Its one big adventure.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#10kelemvorPosted 5/7/2014 8:00:09 PM
SneakiestNeg posted...
You can import your endgame save in Shadows of Amn like mass effect. This is were that got started.

Going back to the "Goldbox" D&D games of the early 90s, you could import your characters between several games. Pool of Radiance had 3 sequels you could carry on with. These games were the precursors of Baldur's Gate and are still quite fun if you like turn based D&D style combat and wide open game worlds and can deal with 16 color graphics.
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane