This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So I just got Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 EE.

#11konokonohamaruPosted 5/7/2014 8:00:17 PM
SneakiestNeg posted...
You can import your endgame save in Shadows of Amn like mass effect. This is were that got started.

Save game import was around before BG
#12SinfullyvannilaPosted 5/7/2014 9:30:40 PM(edited)
Depends on how much time you have on your hands.

They are both incredibly long, and 2 is significantly better than the 1st IMO. It's a direct sequel, but the important events of the plot is pretty easy to sum up and it does so almost immediately in the 2nd one.

They are both worth playing though, and playing 2 first will spoil the hell out of 1.
---
Friend Code 3050-7626-8586 Abra/Sigilyph/Gothorita FS, PM me for FS trades.
#13SinfullyvannilaPosted 5/7/2014 9:28:53 PM
konokonohamaru posted...
SneakiestNeg posted...
You can import your endgame save in Shadows of Amn like mass effect. This is were that got started.

Way before BG.
---
Friend Code 3050-7626-8586 Abra/Sigilyph/Gothorita FS, PM me for FS trades.
#14Silent Sniper IVPosted 5/7/2014 9:45:55 PM
Played them in the 90s, played the EE's last year. It's one of my favorite franchises. This is my take on it:

BG1 is entirely skippable. If you don't skip it, it's worth just pushing the main story and avoiding a lot of the sidequests, because it's pretty standard fare and your level is capped between 8-11ish or something depending on class.

The reasons I say it's skippable are this: First off, low level D&D imo is awful. If you play a mage you'll literally have 1-2 spells to use early on before you rest, which you'll usually use to cast crowd control (like sleep, horror) while your party whiffs against enemies because your dice rolls suck.

Also: There's very very very little plot and character interaction. it almost gets summed up better in BG2 reflections than it does in BG1 itself. The big bad in BG1 you meet for maybe 10 minutes of face time and he has like 3 paragraphs worth of dialogue. Most of the encounters are boring as hell because at low levels you have a lot less strategy and abilities involved, and the majority of BG1 is fighting bandits, giant rats, bears, goblins and wolves. This is boring as hell to me nowadays.

BG2 and ToB is levels 7 onward, and gets much more fun and chaotic because you're fighting tons of crazy awesome stuff like beholders, mind flayers, dragons, and high level casters who have WMDs in magic form. The plot is much heavier and there is a ton more character interaction.

My time to finish on steam:
BG1: 20 hours
BG2: 68

I skipped most BG1 sidequests, because you can't bring your loot with you into BG2 and BG1's sidequests are really dull imo.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#15KenshiroXPosted 5/7/2014 9:48:21 PM
Pretty much this. I got the general gist of BG1, and jumped straight into BG2, one of the very few times I'd ever not play a series through, because D+D at low levels is a pain. Thankfully, Kotor made the 3rd edition type rules not painful. But yeah, BG2 is great, and TOB is a frakking riot. Your chars are walking, talking engines of melee, ranged, or magical destruction, which is good, cause your enemies are a frigging force worth of the Avengers and X-men put together.
#16SneakiestNegPosted 5/7/2014 10:04:23 PM
I stand corrected kelemvor! Thanks its good to learn new stuff about games. Thought Baldur's Gate is where bioware (black isle) got the save game thing started.
#17Silent Sniper IVPosted 5/7/2014 10:11:39 PM(edited)
KenshiroX posted...
Your chars are walking, talking engines of melee, ranged, or magical destruction, which is good, cause your enemies are a frigging force worth of the Avengers and X-men put together.

They don't make 'em like this anymore. Baldurs gate 2 taught me that every time i saw something casting a spell I should be terrified. The first time I got hit by a death spell AoE, 5 of my 6 characters just instantly fell over and died, and the last one got feared or something at the same time. Good times.

http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Spell
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#18AnimorganimatePosted 5/7/2014 10:26:19 PM
Sinfullyvannila posted...
konokonohamaru posted...
SneakiestNeg posted...

Way before BG.

One of the first games I remember importing saves was Hero's Quest (Quest for Glory), which was released in 1989. So yeah, Baldur's Gate wasn't the first by a long shot.
---
. . . methodical, exacting, and worst of all, patient.
#19YoungAdultLinkPosted 5/7/2014 10:55:19 PM
Silent Sniper IV posted...
KenshiroX posted...
Your chars are walking, talking engines of melee, ranged, or magical destruction, which is good, cause your enemies are a frigging force worth of the Avengers and X-men put together.

They don't make 'em like this anymore. Baldurs gate 2 taught me that every time i saw something casting a spell I should be terrified. The first time I got hit by a death spell AoE, 5 of my 6 characters just instantly fell over and died, and the last one got feared or something at the same time. Good times.

http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Spell

That and just straight stat checks. I got to the end of Planescape Torment and couldn't pass the stat checks to get from the 2nd to last room to the boss. Had to just look up the last 30 minutes of the game, because I wasn't restarting a 20+ hour process to rebuild my character.

It's too bad I can't really get into BG2. Drove myself through the first, skipped the expansion, started BG2... and stopped about an hour in. A few months later, drive myself through Planescape, look up the ending, then try to go back to BG2. Play for about 5 or 6 hours, stop. I do the same thing with Kotor 2, and that's one of my favorite RPGs. And DA:O. And a number of RPGs, really.
---
One day, when I am too old for adventuring, I will settle down and open up a little armor shop called, "Victorious Secret."
#20jake-sfPosted 5/7/2014 11:18:56 PM(edited)
You have to try to get in a dead end in the game. Without mods, anyway.

Silent Sniper IV posted...
Played them in the 90s, played the EE's last year. It's one of my favorite franchises. This is my take on it:

BG1 is entirely skippable. If you don't skip it, it's worth just pushing the main story and avoiding a lot of the sidequests, because it's pretty standard fare and your level is capped between 8-11ish or something depending on class.

The reasons I say it's skippable are this: First off, low level D&D imo is awful. If you play a mage you'll literally have 1-2 spells to use early on before you rest, which you'll usually use to cast crowd control (like sleep, horror) while your party whiffs against enemies because your dice rolls suck.

Also: There's very very very little plot and character interaction. it almost gets summed up better in BG2 reflections than it does in BG1 itself. The big bad in BG1 you meet for maybe 10 minutes of face time and he has like 3 paragraphs worth of dialogue. Most of the encounters are boring as hell because at low levels you have a lot less strategy and abilities involved, and the majority of BG1 is fighting bandits, giant rats, bears, goblins and wolves. This is boring as hell to me nowadays.

BG2 and ToB is levels 7 onward, and gets much more fun and chaotic because you're fighting tons of crazy awesome stuff like beholders, mind flayers, dragons, and high level casters who have WMDs in magic form. The plot is much heavier and there is a ton more character interaction.

My time to finish on steam:
BG1: 20 hours
BG2: 68

I skipped most BG1 sidequests, because you can't bring your loot with you into BG2 and BG1's sidequests are really dull imo.

You see it as such a bad thing.

What if someone never played those games or any games like it before?

They jump into BG1, and its simplicity is what will keep them going. It can be REALLY straigthforward, and resting for spells was always the dumbest D&D mechanic when it comes to the games (IMO), but it still allows for some strategy.

A lot less, yes, but then its the beginning, and it works fine.

One needs to appreciate the journey. Humble, rocky beginning leading to an epic tale.

And heck, a LOT of people seem to say BG2 is far, far better than BG1, in every way.

But there's a lot to appreciate in BG1 that doesn't exist in BG2. The way BG1 is open is in a way particularily appealing, even if it was a bit empty at times.

The both of them contrast wonderfully together... I mean, seriously. One can't just tell a newcomer to ever see BG1 as skippable. Thats blasphemy. You're ruining an entire adventure/experience if you do that.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/