This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So I just got Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 EE.

#21That1GuyyPosted 5/7/2014 11:32:19 PM
You should try to go through the first one, but if you feel like it's starting to become a chore, skip it, read the plot synopsis and then go to the second one. I whole heartedly agree that while it should be played, the tedium of low level play can very easily sap the fun out of the experience. Forcing yourself through the game isn't worth it if you end up burning out before you get to play the second, which is simply an amazing game all the way through.
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.
#22Silent Sniper IVPosted 5/8/2014 12:22:02 AM(edited)
I don't know, even when I first played P&P D&D2e back in the day, we always started around level 3 or 4 because we thought low level D&D was freaking awful even before BG ever came out. Even the DM books suggested doing that iirc. I just don't think there was enough content in BG1 in terms of story, characters, or quests to really suggest it as being mandatory. If someone wants to give it a try first, sure. It's a cool game. But he asked if he could start with 2 and skip BG1, and I think that's perfectly acceptable to do that for a variety of reasons.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#23SneakiestNegPosted 5/7/2014 11:52:36 PM
Weirdly I actually liked the characters in the first game more. Except for Edwina obviously.
#24Hi CPosted 5/8/2014 5:47:57 AM
Silent Sniper IV posted...
Played them in the 90s, played the EE's last year. It's one of my favorite franchises. This is my take on it:

BG1 is entirely skippable. If you don't skip it, it's worth just pushing the main story and avoiding a lot of the sidequests, because it's pretty standard fare and your level is capped between 8-11ish or something depending on class.

The reasons I say it's skippable are this: First off, low level D&D imo is awful. If you play a mage you'll literally have 1-2 spells to use early on before you rest, which you'll usually use to cast crowd control (like sleep, horror) while your party whiffs against enemies because your dice rolls suck.

Also: There's very very very little plot and character interaction. it almost gets summed up better in BG2 reflections than it does in BG1 itself. The big bad in BG1 you meet for maybe 10 minutes of face time and he has like 3 paragraphs worth of dialogue. Most of the encounters are boring as hell because at low levels you have a lot less strategy and abilities involved, and the majority of BG1 is fighting bandits, giant rats, bears, goblins and wolves. This is boring as hell to me nowadays.

BG2 and ToB is levels 7 onward, and gets much more fun and chaotic because you're fighting tons of crazy awesome stuff like beholders, mind flayers, dragons, and high level casters who have WMDs in magic form. The plot is much heavier and there is a ton more character interaction.

My time to finish on steam:
BG1: 20 hours
BG2: 68

I skipped most BG1 sidequests, because you can't bring your loot with you into BG2 and BG1's sidequests are really dull imo.

Trying too hard. Low level D&D is the best D&D. After 9th level it just devolves into an obnoxious lootfest of overpowered god items. But you're obviously just another typical power gamer who jumped on the RPG bandwagon of the late 90's and led to the abhorrent f*** up that was 3rd and 4th edition rules.
#25Hi CPosted 5/8/2014 5:55:05 AM
Silent Sniper IV posted...
I don't know, even when I first played P&P D&D2e back in the day, we always started around level 3 or 4 because we thought low level D&D was freaking awful even before BG ever came out.

Sounds like you rely too much on brute forcing with gear and thac0 to resolve all encounters. These are more of a console JRPG gamers traits. Big numbers and 2337th level characters dealing 9999HP damage win everything.
#26SinfullyvannilaPosted 5/8/2014 7:16:32 AM
Whether or not it works well for PnP, it's a really bad fit for a videogame that pretty much restricts combat to combat rolls and doesn't allow for investigation, planning, preparation or creative spell use like you'd get in a PnP campaign.

And the fact that it's a system where a housecat is more dangerous than a Level 1 PC.
---
Friend Code 3050-7626-8586 Abra/Sigilyph/Gothorita FS, PM me for FS trades.
#27shamfuruPosted 5/8/2014 7:18:46 AM
You know, reading this thread explains so much about the personalities of the so called PC master race.

Real, authentic, miserable self hating herds here. It's like being in a zoo.
---
Life is normally too short to purposely seek out things you hate, but apparently that rule doesn't apply on the Xbox One board.
#28Silent Sniper IVPosted 5/8/2014 2:05:36 PM(edited)
Hi C posted...
Sounds like you rely too much on brute forcing with gear and thac0 to resolve all encounters. These are more of a console JRPG gamers traits. Big numbers and 2337th level characters dealing 9999HP damage win everything.

Please, everyone knows D&D is about the insane crowd control, not +betterer numbers.

I just find low level to be terrible and boring and consist of rat-slaying and your 3hp casters sitting around bored after they spend their 2-3 spells for the day. I started with 2e and think tomb of horrors/return of tomb of horrors are probably the pinnacle of D&D to date and I know plenty of people who feel the same way. That starts you at level 9, which is a fantastic place to have most of your characters utility and interesting stuff, which is what BG2 went with. To me, mid-high level is just so much more fun, interesting, and chaotic. Sorry you disagree, but it's cool. If you find low level D&D to be something you can play without falling asleep, more power to you. I simply don't enjoy it, no need to turn it into a gamer-cred thing.

I would be fine with BG1's low level combat if the story and character development were on par with BG2, but I simply don't think it's very good in comparison, and that's why I say it's skippable. You don't HAVE to, but if you don't enjoy low level D&D, you aren't missing very much with BG1 that will leave you feeling baffled going into 2.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#29SneakiestNegPosted 5/8/2014 2:36:27 PM
Oh F it just grab gatekeeper and shadowkeeper. Are they compatible with Enhanced Edition?
#30noimnoturdaddyPosted 5/8/2014 2:54:11 PM
Prepare to be extremely bored.
---
"Are you Ron Swanson?" - CatToy to me, upon realizing what a manly man I am