This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So I just got Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 EE.

#51rkingPosted 5/12/2014 4:21:15 PM
Sinfullyvannila posted...
Melee Fighter/Mage sounds like a terrible idea IMO, but honestly, I've never played it.

Ranged weapons are super useful though.

I've got one about 2/3 done with BG2 who progressed through BG1 previously. Plenty of self-buffing spells like Stoneskin or Mirror Image make up for the lack of armor. Offensively it's not terrible either, I went with dual long swords and I don't find much difficulty in killing stuff. I don't know what's added in the EE versions of either game but a Fighter/Mage melee works otherwise.
---
http://www.d2offline.info - Diablo 2 SP forums
Phenom II x4 945/5770/1440x900 x2/8GB DDR3/Unicomp SpaceSaver/120GB SSD/320GB HDD
#52SinfullyvannilaPosted 5/12/2014 4:42:21 PM
Well, IMO, Bow is definitely the safer choice, and you want to play it safe with your main character, because if they die, it's game over. They may not have the raw spike damage output of melee, but they will have time on target.

It's not a HUGE deal what you put your proficiency points into for Fighters though, since iirc, their non-proficiency penalty is only -1.
---
Friend Code 3050-7626-8586 Abra/Sigilyph/Gothorita FS, PM me for FS trades.
#53SinfullyvannilaPosted 5/12/2014 8:20:21 PM
Dangit. Now I'm feeling like starting up a game.
---
#54NingishzidaPosted 5/12/2014 11:36:46 PM
Melee Fighter/Mage sounds like a terrible idea IMO

Yeah, 10 critical strike attacks per round for 3 rnds+1 per lvl is terrible.
Wait no, your opinion is terrible.

How did you get back off ignore? Nevermind, back on.
#55PaperDiddyKongPosted 5/12/2014 11:56:13 PM
Melee Fighter/Mage sounds like a terrible idea IMO, but honestly, I've never played it.

Ranged weapons are super useful though.

Ton of mage buffs enhance their fighting and defense, plus they get to use all the cheap spells that the mage has. You should really try the kensai/mage build, which is extremely strong mid and late game of BG2.
#56NingishzidaPosted 5/13/2014 12:19:35 AM
PaperDiddyKong posted...
Ton of mage buffs enhance their fighting and defense, plus they get to use all the cheap spells that the mage has. You should really try the kensai/mage build, which is extremely strong mid and late game of BG2.

Berserker/Mage dual is arguably stronger than the Kensai variant, which can't even wear helms (+AC, Simulacrum in the case of Vhailor helm) and gauntlets (+attack rate, dmg, THAC0 for extra-special type). Kensai duals used to be popular, but there wasn't much reasoning behind the preference. Plus they get disabled too often unless you cast protective spells beforehand (which in most cases requires foreknowledge of the encounter). Berserker just enrages for a blanket buff against many annoying negative statuses.

Fighter/Mage multi is stronger than both, gets both fighter and mage HLAs. With no dual downtime, it starts very strong, stays very strong in mid-game, and ends very strong.

Kensais are best for to-Thief duals, to maximise weapon damage roll on the backstab.

That said, it doesn't matter too much. You have direct control of up to five other party members, all of whom become demi-gods in their own right, even the blade and shapeshifter. So really all I'm doing is feigning munchkinism in quibbling over the most powerful. It just doesn't matter, any class will do the trick, and any party composition.
#57SinfullyvannilaPosted 5/13/2014 5:29:27 AM(edited)
My criticism of the build is mostly because you have to go through low levels with it. That's where all of the frustration for a newer player will come in.

Keep in mind the context that this is advice for a new player asking about where to put his proficiency points, not a discussion of powergaming.

If you want to get into the powergaming aspect of it, it also has the advantage of lower multiple ability dependence. You can dump strength down to 9 and use longbows until you get strength enhancing items.
---
#58konokonohamaruPosted 5/16/2014 6:34:30 AM
I'd recommend a sorceror for new players. Magic in this game is too fun to pass up, but being a mage requires a lot more knowledge since you have to find scrolls and choose what to memorize. Just make sure you get the important spells. Here's what I remember as being important spells:

Level 1: Magic Missil, Protection from Evil
Level 2: Acid Arrow, Aganazzer's Scorcher,
Level 3: Fireball, Haste, Dispel
Level 4: Stoneskin, Improved Invisibility
Level 5: Breach, Cloudkill
Level 6: True Sight, Improved Haste
Level 7: Limited Wish, Summon Hakeshar
Level 8: Spell Trigger, Horrid Wilting, Simulacrum
Level 9: Chain Contingency, Wish, Time Stop
Epic: Summon Planetar, Energy Blades, Improved Alacrity

My memory is hazy and some of the spell levels might be wrong, but I remember these all being important