This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

On the Steam interface, any way to see how big of an install a game has?

#1Justice98405Posted 5/8/2014 9:49:39 PM
Looking at your library or somewhere else maybe? I'm just wondering if there's a way to see the size of local files installed for a Steam game using the interface, without having to find the folders on my hard drive manually and checking that way...
---
To the mattresses.
3DS code: 2621-3902-1737, PSN: Justice_98405, Xbox Live: Justice98405
#2DragnfyrPosted 5/8/2014 9:51:10 PM
Right-click the game in Steam and look at the properties. Although I find the reported size isn't always accurate.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+64GB SSDs
#3Justice98405(Topic Creator)Posted 5/8/2014 10:07:52 PM
Awesome. Thanks much. And I'll keep the possible wrong info on the space used in mind. Have you ever noticed any LARGE amounts of it being off, or is it usually pretty close at least if/when it's a bit off?
---
To the mattresses.
#4PaukenPosted 5/9/2014 12:04:46 AM(edited)
Justice98405 posted...
Awesome. Thanks much. And I'll keep the possible wrong info on the space used in mind. Have you ever noticed any LARGE amounts of it being off, or is it usually pretty close at least if/when it's a bit off?

Depends on how much you mod the game's contents. For example, since I HATE the Descent 2 Redbook soundtrack, I deleted it from the Steam install and replaced it with D2X Rebirth's SC-55 midi recording music addon. The size according to Steam remained unchanged, but the folder went from over 700 Mb to 500 Mb, since the OGG recordings of the midi soundtrack, despite being quite large, were a fraction of the size of the redbook soundtrack ISO.

On the flip side, Garry's Mod appears to only eat up 2 gigs by itself, but add in workshop mods, non workshop mods, and Source engine games that you're mounting for Gmod but not actively playing (admit it, if you've ever played Gmod you've probably bought a source engine title that you weren't interested in just so you would have more crud to Gmod with, too), and that size reported by Steam is a FRACTION of how much space it really eats up.

Pretty much the only games that report a nearly correct size are unmoddable titles like many Unreal engine games, in which you can't muck with the content and thus the game will be the same size on everyone's PC (damn you Unreal Engine and your encrypted assets that are there just to spit in the face of PC gamers everywhere D:< ). Anything that you've modified in any way shape or form is not gonna report the right size of space eaten up.
#5Justice98405(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2014 1:02:55 AM
So a somewhat related question.

If I delete the local files, as I can from the Steam interface, will it automatically keep my save data for that game? Or do I have to make sure to chose some kind of option for that? Or is it not an option at all?

Space is a premium with the PC I have, and I want to delete some local data, but I want to make sure that I keep any save data for those games, for if/when I re-install them.
---
To the mattresses.
#6mrtywerPosted 5/9/2014 2:02:16 AM
Justice98405 posted...
So a somewhat related question.

If I delete the local files, as I can from the Steam interface, will it automatically keep my save data for that game? Or do I have to make sure to chose some kind of option for that? Or is it not an option at all?

Space is a premium with the PC I have, and I want to delete some local data, but I want to make sure that I keep any save data for those games, for if/when I re-install them.

If you delete the local files, save games go with unless you go in, manually find the save files, and store them elsewhere. If you do that, and you re-load the game later, you will have to replace the files in the same folder directory in order to load the save games again.
---
ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 Ghz | 4G Gskill RAM | Sapphire Radeon R7 260x
#7TropicMoon10Posted 5/9/2014 3:54:47 AM
mrtywer posted...

If you delete the local files, save games go with unless you go in, manually find the save files, and store them elsewhere. If you do that, and you re-load the game later, you will have to replace the files in the same folder directory in order to load the save games again.

Not always. A lot of times the games put saves in My Documents instead, but either way, backing up saves is a very simple task to do.
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#8SpazH3dPosted 5/9/2014 5:34:54 AM(edited)
Like this? http://i.imgur.com/HPyZ1Y6.png

You might have to add it by right clicking the grey area with the categories (like metascore and developer etc.)

Bonus pic if you are completely lost on where to click. http://i.imgur.com/6PxdPgS.png
---
- My vision is augmented