This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Your worst choices when it comes to PC gaming.

#1triple sPosted 5/9/2014 6:14:32 AM
10 years ago, I needed a new PC and I applied for Dell credit and was approved for $2,000. I thought with that, I could get myself a capable gaming PC! I ended up spending $1,300 on a Dell Inspiron 8300 because they sold me with the pictures of games that are able to be played on it! The graphics card was a Geforce 5200 FX....

First game I bought was Halo:CE for the PC since I loved Halo:CE on the Xbox and wanted to play it online...the Xbox version ran MUCH better.

To add to this, a year later I was a little more informed on PC specs and let me strongly emphasize "a little more", so I wanted to get a powerful graphics card. So I bought a Nvidia 6800 BFG which was a great graphics for the time but I ultimately suffered because my other specs weren't up to par. I believe I had a 300wt power supply along with a low clocked Pentium 4. So I could play Half Life 2 and Unreal Tournament 2004 without problems other than some big frame dips from time to time but I'd always have issues running Doom 3 as my computer would constantly overheat. I had the card for about 4 months until I decided it wasn't worth the trouble and sold it and stopped PC gaming for about 6 years after. I gave PC gaming another chance a few years ago after being A LOT more informed.
---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22
#2SinisterSlayPosted 5/9/2014 6:40:15 AM(edited)
AMD CPU back in 2009.
It's so damn weak it bottlenecks a 9600gt :(
I didn't research that one very carefully.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3maybecallsPosted 5/9/2014 6:41:52 AM
ATI 9600XT, some time ago. It was never good enough, and the drivers were so flaky. A bad mistake.
#4triple s(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2014 6:49:48 AM
I also went the 1090T route a few years ago instead of waiting a few weeks for motherboards on the 2500k to be fixed. Though the 1090T did decent with a GTX 580, a year later when I decided to switch to a 2500k I noticed a huge difference on frame drops and emulation.
---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22
#5godplaysSNESPosted 5/9/2014 7:03:50 AM
Going with AMD/ATI cards instead of Nvidia. I don't use them for my main PC anymore, but it stings to see Nvidia's equivalents being supported for so much longer, with support for the new Windows versions as well.

In hindsight, perhaps I should have paid the extra for an i7 920 rather than a Phenom II X4.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#6xKynOxPosted 5/9/2014 7:15:48 AM
getting a ati 9800 pro 512 it cost me loads (2004/2005) and died just after the warranty run out, pos
#7UberLurkerPosted 5/9/2014 11:45:27 AM
I once built (er, upgraded) a PC using a Cyrix processor back in the 486 days... that PC is notably not listed among my history of self-built machines.

My first 3D accelerator card was a S3 VIRGE VX... that thing was so slow it ran games with poorer performance than software mode =P
#8paramite12Posted 5/9/2014 12:22:21 PM
I too bought a GeForceFX 5200 back in the day. It was better than my GeForce4 mx400 but not by much hahaha. I eventually upgraded again to a GeForceFX5700 ultra, but it was pretty meh. Now that I'm not a kid and I know what I'm doing, I don't make mistakes like that anymore haha.
---
trolls, trolls everywhere
#9SinisterSlayPosted 5/9/2014 12:23:12 PM
paramite12 posted...
I too bought a GeForceFX 5200 back in the day. It was better than my GeForce4 mx400 but not by much hahaha. I eventually upgraded again to a GeForceFX5700 ultra, but it was pretty meh. Now that I'm not a kid and I know what I'm doing, I don't make mistakes like that anymore haha.

Yeah me 2... couldn't even play neverwinter nights acceptably.
Later I bought a 6600 and it was such a night and day difference.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#10Majoras_pantsPosted 5/9/2014 12:23:36 PM
Before my current card I decided to try an ATI card.

Oops.

I used it for a few years because I normally only like to upgrade every 5 years or so. But after 3 I just needed to get back to Nvidia.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer