This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Where do you see gaming in ten years?

#21BeknessPosted 5/11/2014 3:17:25 PM
Very interesting thread. I'll mark my calendar for 10 years and get back to you.
---
http://www.bewaretherobotsquad.com/ R<3B xx
Babes and I Now playing - Titan Quest
#22XtremeWRATH360Posted 5/11/2014 4:01:17 PM
Consoles will be gone, nobody seems to know what target to cater to and they all want to introduce the next gimmick. PC is always going to be just about the games that's what needs to be a focus now and forever. Consoles are losing their focus on games and just want to throw gimmick after gimmick at you and see which sticks.
---
Juan is........NUMBER 1!
XtremeWRATH-Gamertag
#23JonWood007Posted 5/11/2014 6:07:48 PM
I'd say nothing changes, or little.

Here's what I see happening:

-New console gen resembles generation 6. PS4 gets the majority of the market share, with the xbone getting a distant second, and wii u coming slightly behind the xbone.

COD dies on PC, but remains on consoles. Loses ground, however, to battlefield, titanfall, and medal of honor, which become annual or semi annual titles. By 2025, may go out of business. BF becomes the new COD, becomes the same stale rehashed crap every 2 years with little innovation. New FPS games fill in the void, perhaps planetside 3 by the time we get to the 2020s.

PS5 and 4th gen xbox come out around 2020. Either a 3rd gen wii or a reinvention of nintendo consoles around this time too. Which company becomes dominant will remain unknown. Perhaps none of them, if steambox takes off.

Consoles will likely lose sales between now and then, replaced with steam box and PC. PCs will be a bit more popular than now, with steambox filling in the console users who want to switch to the free steam service.

OSes for gamers is split between linux and windows. Windows still retains some level of dominance if only for backward compatibility reasons, but linux will gain market shares due to steam box.

VR will not take off, will be kind of gimmicky. 4k, 60-120 fps will be standard on PC, with consoles running games at 30-60 fps at 1080p or 1440p (always a step behind pc m i rite?

Graphics looking similar to primitive cgi (as in, not the super realistic stuff, but the early stuff) becomes commonplace. Photo realism will likely not exist until the 2030s.

Games are even more monetized. Microtransactions are common in all games. DLC is extensive (think sims). steam remains free for the primary reason that they would alienate their base making steam a premium service. A PS+ style option as far as "free" games" go becomes available, however.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#24LoshadtPosted 5/11/2014 6:32:39 PM
I can see the AAA budget industry collapsing on itself within the decade, we've already seen a game with a $200M budget, and one with a $500M budget. Such a large focus on short-term profit isn't sustainable for the long-term. And if AAA as we know it dies, you can expect many consoles to take a nosedive with it.

These are my hopes anyway, AAA is the cancer of the industry and I would like to see smaller companies and indies have a larger grip on the market than they do now.
---
Remember to hug you're waifu.
#25KenshinsbrotherPosted 5/11/2014 6:41:30 PM
Every game will have an option to be in a homosexual marriage.

Or be black.
---
PSN: Shinta99 XBL: tD Saint http://backloggery.com/shinta1010
#26akuma634Posted 5/11/2014 6:51:02 PM
Why is most it so negative? I know there will always be tinfoil hat wearing shut ins who think everything is going to end any day now. The was I see it, is that gaming will only get bigger and better. The only real aspect that is being set up to fall down hard is "AAA gaming." Where big publishes put down funding close to a Hollywood blockbuster and expect to turn a massive profit. A game can sell 3 million copies in a week and be deemed a failure because it didn't outsell GTA5 and the COD series combined.

It is nice seeing massive budget games that really show the high production values, but I find myself spending much more time playing indie games of various types, such as 1-3 people making it and paying out of their checking account from a day job to crowd funding to having steady private investors and not working with a publisher. I really love how Steam and the Humble Store do a great job of showcasing all levels of indie games, and that you do have the option to buy the game on Humble or directly from the studio's website so they get as much of the money as possible with fewer 3rd parties taking a cut.

I think in 10 years, things will be more of the same. In the current times, you will have studios like Capcom being much more conservative with their spending as they attempt to make up for their losses. Nintendo is going really need to get a fire under their asses soon. PS4, Xbox 1, and Steam Machine are going to be doing good business. EA and Activision will be getting richer and won't have to worry about losing money from big investments. Steam is only going to get bigger, especially with their computer-console hybrid streaming box. All I see at the very worst would be maybe a few big publishers going bankrupt and their properties going to the highest bidder.

Worst case scenario would be AAA games become way too risky, so the publishers greenlight more modest projects. MMORPGs are a giant money pit and people realize that it's the riskiest investment in gaming, especially how long it takes to get it ready and the years after that to make it good. On a very extreme scenario, Nintendo might have to focus on the DS brand, but they'll stay very protective over the IP's they own. Their pride would probably be too much to allow Mario on the Playstation or Xbox brand.
---
I belong to the blank generation - Richard Hell
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634\
#27Combo MasterPosted 5/11/2014 6:52:46 PM
Really 21% thinks consoles will collapse? There is no way consoles will prolly ever dispensary.Loshadt posted...
I can see the AAA budget industry collapsing on itself within the decade, we've already seen a game with a $200M budget, and one with a $500M budget. Such a large focus on short-term profit isn't sustainable for the long-term. And if AAA as we know it dies, you can expect many consoles to take a nosedive with it.

These are my hopes anyway, AAA is the cancer of the industry and I would like to see smaller companies and indies have a larger grip on the market than they do now.

I sure hope not. Indie games make me appreciate how much better just an average retail game is compared to an indie game
---
Combo Master
#28LoshadtPosted 5/11/2014 6:55:25 PM
Combo Master posted...
I sure hope not. Indie games make me appreciate how much better just an average retail game is compared to an indie game

There can be some sort of middle ground between blockbuster AAA title and indie trash. The point is that AAA was once synonymous with quality, now it just means vapid focus group approved junk.
---
Remember to hug you're waifu.
#29KarnRX78Posted 5/11/2014 8:25:23 PM
Somewhere between the Major collapse option and the just a few big publishers collapse. If the money to produce "AAA" games continues to increase at this rate, the big publishers will kill them selves. Eventually no amount of sales will justify the money spent. And that is where it needs to get in my opinion. I could see MS getting out of the console market, and trying to turn xbox into something like steam. Sony and Nintendo will still be around though. But some of the big publishers, if not destroyed, they'll be completely different than they are today.
---
21B64R09E14A35K92T29H45E17W43A82L95L19S57D36O18W39N8Y2J
(V)0-0(V) This is Mudcrab. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him achieve world Domination.