This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Whats with all these fake 4K tvs and monitors?

#11KabtheMentatPosted 5/11/2014 6:43:01 PM
wizardmon posted...
DRAGON07891230 posted...
Reminds me of when cellular providers petitioned to cut the definition of 4G by a factor of 10 when they couldn't deliver but wanted to market their phones as 4G.

They got away with it by calling it "LTE" which literally means "4G:s*** edition". USA's Cell service is way behind other countries such as South Korea, which has already invested 68,730,000+ USD into 5G plans/designs.

That's because most of the country lives in and around one city. You try and start a company that will provide high speed everything to everyone in the nation at an affordable price, and do it without going hundreds of billions of dollars in the red, and you'll be the richest man on the planet.
---
Laugh at how dark it can get in this place, as if you're eatin' the soul of a demon for strength.
#12BowsaaPosted 5/11/2014 6:46:00 PM
KabtheMentat posted...
That's because most of the country lives in and around one city. You try and start a company that will provide high speed everything to everyone in the nation at an affordable price, and do it without going hundreds of billions of dollars in the red, and you'll be the richest man on the planet.

Except there are plenty of densely populated areas in the US (like all of the numerous large cities) and those still fall behind in terms of available speed.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#13DRAGON07891230Posted 5/11/2014 6:46:33 PM
KabtheMentat posted...
wizardmon posted...
DRAGON07891230 posted...
Reminds me of when cellular providers petitioned to cut the definition of 4G by a factor of 10 when they couldn't deliver but wanted to market their phones as 4G.

They got away with it by calling it "LTE" which literally means "4G:s*** edition". USA's Cell service is way behind other countries such as South Korea, which has already invested 68,730,000+ USD into 5G plans/designs.

Isn't that basically what AT&T did up until the 80's? (Well, obviously with land lines but you know what I mean)
---
_______()>===<()______........._______
[__]//P[__]======^^^^^^-------------------***** ( '_') > Uh Oh! (Unofficial Godhead of ESV boards)
#14KabtheMentatPosted 5/11/2014 6:56:03 PM
DRAGON07891230 posted...
KabtheMentat posted...
wizardmon posted...
DRAGON07891230 posted...

Isn't that basically what AT&T did up until the 80's? (Well, obviously with land lines but you know what I mean)

Yeah, but they took a 100 year old technology and formed a monopoly and were able to force price controls and whatnot. That's not the same as laying down millions of miles of fiber optic cables or cell towers every 20 feet across one of the largest countries on Earth.

The US is pretty unique as far as large countries and their populations go. Most Russians live west of the Urals in European Russia. Most people in China live along the coast and more to the south. With America you have two heavily populated coasts with large population centers dotted all over the place in between.

I agree ISPs are being cheap asses, but there's more to it than just planting down more lines. And comparing it to places like South Korea or Japan is kinda silly. And don't get me started on bull**** government regulations.
---
Laugh at how dark it can get in this place, as if you're eatin' the soul of a demon for strength.
#15dennis941012Posted 5/11/2014 9:09:18 PM
Bowsaa posted...
KabtheMentat posted...

Except there are plenty of densely populated areas in the US (like all of the numerous large cities) and those still fall behind in terms of available speed.

not to mention US has money to fund it.
---
3DS FC: 5214-9942-1912
#16Rolen47Posted 5/11/2014 9:20:00 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#17fataliPosted 5/11/2014 9:40:18 PM
They are basing that on the fact that 1080p is consider 1K, and 3840 2160 is exactly 4 times the pixel count of 3840 2160.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#18skychanPosted 5/11/2014 10:32:01 PM
fatali posted...
They are basing that on the fact that 1080p is consider 1K, and 3840 2160 is exactly 4 times the pixel count of 3840 2160.

3840 2160
???? x 1080

what? i dont get this
---
"I will thanks BlackEmac64 4ever" -skychan
#19SilentHawk29Posted 5/11/2014 10:46:31 PM
^ 1080p is roughly 2 million pixels. 4k is roughly 8 million, or 4x that of 1080.
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg
#20dlfPosted 5/11/2014 11:10:59 PM
watertank posted...
The good news is, people are already making 8K cameras and TVs. The bad news, we're nowhere near the hardware required to game on these things :(

I doubt (most) of the US has even the internet infrastructure for 4k, let alone 8k content. I've seen one 4k display in person, and my god the desktop resolution . . . I can't imagine 8k, 16k, 32k, 64k . . . . . .
---
I have built http://pcpartpicker.com/p/P5jg - Minus a few parts (monitor @ moment)
Screw trying to record video (on PC).