This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

WoW - what's changed since wotlk?

#11my_name_is_EdPosted 5/12/2014 9:49:34 AM
Talents have been changed. You now have 6, instead of a bunch. I hate this change.

Alot of class mechanics have changed such as the Shaman Totems and the Warlock stones.

Dungeons aren't what they used to be. now you just blaze through as even squishy classes can solo them. I find this the most annoying.

MoP hands out gold like candy, and because of that AH prices have sky rocketed. It costs 100g for a Priest glyph that does nothing but give you visual wings every time you heal. 90g for a Monk glyph that lets you use Roll on water. (an ability where you quickly roll about 10 yards).

It's pretty rediculous really. I came back a month ago, and I'm just kinda putting up with it, hoping WoD at least fixes the Dungeons and Gold thing.
---
http://puu.sh/7uzXq.jpg
Our dearest SBAllen. "Admin by day. Sailor Scout by night."
#12jake-sfPosted 5/12/2014 9:59:12 AM
The game lost every ounce of its charm.

Blizzard has actually become really terrible developers over the years, believing in all the stupidest principles like homogenization and forcing a low skillset.

Accessibility is a thing, but WoW isn't accessible, its just terribly designed nowadays. Nothing is fun, nothing is challenging, nothing feels interesting.

And forgive me, I actually remember having challenges while leveling before. Apparently when you ask the forums, its blasphemous for the non-raiding non-end game part of the game to be fun and inspire a minimum amount of thinking.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#13dementedlullabyPosted 5/12/2014 10:00:49 AM
A lot has changed and a lot hasn't.

They changed the way speccing works. There is not nearly as much choice. Blamed it on cookie cutter builds.

They added "Pokemon Lite" to pets. You can catch new pets and battle pets. It's really not that interesting. I was a big pet collector before. Had all the top achieves and a lot of special pets. Now there is so many pets 100 pet achieve for instance is an absolute joke.

Still the same douchebag elite-ery. I was pretty good, our guild normally made our way through most stuff heroic. Not as fast as others but we downed bosses like Sindragosa on Heroic which requires a fair amount of synchronization. But that'll never be good enough for some people who full clear heroic first try because they wasted their lives on PTR prior.

Scenarios. I don't really have much to say about them. It's like a short lite dungeon with usually bad rewards. They aren't inherently bad. Sometimes the story added through them is alright.

Probably forgetting a lot. I went casual after Cata (6/8 heroic clear because of burn out) and then quit a bit after they added the last content patch of MoP. MoP never hooked me anyway. There was some pretty areas but overall I found the lore went all weird. Cata started a decline in lore quality and MoP brought it to a new level.
---
The Imperial Truth is a Lie
#14my_name_is_EdPosted 5/12/2014 10:01:14 AM
jake-sf posted...
The game lost every ounce of its charm.

Blizzard has actually become really terrible developers over the years, believing in all the stupidest principles like homogenization and forcing a low skillset.

Accessibility is a thing, but WoW isn't accessible, its just terribly designed nowadays. Nothing is fun, nothing is challenging, nothing feels interesting.

And forgive me, I actually remember having challenges while leveling before. Apparently when you ask the forums, its blasphemous for the non-raiding non-end game part of the game to be fun and inspire a minimum amount of thinking.

This pretty much.

Really the only way you're gonna die is if you jump off a cliff. And even then you have a chance to have some random jack ass come and cast levitate on you.
---
#15Orestes417Posted 5/12/2014 10:17:52 AM
my_name_is_Ed posted...
Talents have been changed. You now have 6, instead of a bunch. I hate this change.

Alot of class mechanics have changed such as the Shaman Totems and the Warlock stones.

Dungeons aren't what they used to be. now you just blaze through as even squishy classes can solo them. I find this the most annoying.

MoP hands out gold like candy, and because of that AH prices have sky rocketed. It costs 100g for a Priest glyph that does nothing but give you visual wings every time you heal. 90g for a Monk glyph that lets you use Roll on water. (an ability where you quickly roll about 10 yards).

It's pretty rediculous really. I came back a month ago, and I'm just kinda putting up with it, hoping WoD at least fixes the Dungeons and Gold thing.

Lets be honest here, for any given build you have more actual choice now than before even with fewer talents. Your choices before were the mathematically correct build or sucking. Your choices now are the mathematically correct build +/- 2-3 fluff talents.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#16my_name_is_EdPosted 5/12/2014 10:24:17 AM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...
my_name_is_Ed posted...

Lets be honest here, for any given build you have more actual choice now than before even with fewer talents. Your choices before were the mathematically correct build or sucking. Your choices now are the mathematically correct build +/- 2-3 fluff talents.

Great, now we have no idea who has the capability of researching what they need to know, such as read up on the fights, because nobody has to look up the best build, everyone just has it by default. They have less reason than ever to do research, so why bother now.

Awesome. I love recruiting dumbasses into my raids.
---
#17DawnshadowPosted 5/12/2014 10:50:09 AM(edited)
It's changed, but not that much. There's a lot of superficial changes and a few nice quality of life things, but it's still the same old gear treadmill.

I actually like the talent changes-- it actually feels like I have choices, instead of "copy this or be bad." (And, no, someone's ability to tab out and look at a talent setup does not mean they're going to know how to handle the next raid boss.)

The prices on glyphs aren't entirely inflation-- I've played the glyph auction house game before. It took me over an hour a day just to empty my mail, repost unsold glyphs, and restock, even with addons to make it faster and easier... not to mention the afternoons spent just grinding herbs into ink. It was good profit, but I eventually quit because it was just too much of a time sink and I had enough gold.

So when you buy a glyph on the action house you're not just paying for the mats, you're paying for the scribe's time in researching the glyphs, finding and learning to use addons to make selling them on the auction house logistically possible in a reasonable timeframe, deposit fees on unsold glyphs, and so on.

However, an alternative is to just buy a stack or two of the current endgame herbs and try to find a scribe who will make the glyph in exchange for those mats and a tip, keep the extra ink. Current tier ink can be exchanged for any other ink type, and a stack or herbs will usually give you 3-4 bottles of ink.
---
*Turn Evil can now be cast on players. When used, it applies a small goatee and causes them to explain their diabolical plans while steepling their fingers.
#18shamfuruPosted 5/12/2014 10:55:48 AM(edited)
PhilOnDez posted...
There aren't really talent trees anymore. You pick a spec and it gives you everything you need. You do get to spend 8 points but everything you choose from is what used to be considered the filler talents. You also don't have to pick a tree and stick with it. You can go Fury and put all 8 points in Prot if you want, just as an example, or put the first 7 points in Arms and then get the tier 8 fury ability.

Overall it's really dumb. I absolutely hate it. Even the halved talent trees in Cata weren't interesting to me.

So you can just get top tier talents of other trees?

How is that not epic?

I get that you nerds are unhappy. You are about everything else certainly.

But that finally sounds like they added actual freedom to a roleplaying game, for once.
---
Life is normally too short to purposely seek out things you hate, but apparently that rule doesn't apply on the Xbox One board.
#19DawnshadowPosted 5/12/2014 11:01:02 AM
shamfuru posted...
PhilOnDez posted...
There aren't really talent trees anymore. You pick a spec and it gives you everything you need. You do get to spend 8 points but everything you choose from is what used to be considered the filler talents. You also don't have to pick a tree and stick with it. You can go Fury and put all 8 points in Prot if you want, just as an example, or put the first 7 points in Arms and then get the tier 8 fury ability.

Overall it's really dumb. I absolutely hate it. Even the halved talent trees in Cata weren't interesting to me.

So you can just get top tier talents of other trees?

How is that not epic?

That's not really how it works. The tree abilities aren't bound to specs anymore, but some used to be spec-specific abilities or do have spec-related themes. Generally, the three abilities on a line will be thematically related in some way-- for example, giving you a choice between three AoE abilities or three survival cooldowns.

For example, the final death knight tree has Gorefiend's Grasp (death grip everything in a certain radius of your target), Remorseless Winter (slows and eventually stuns anything stupid enough to not run away), or Desecrated Ground (breaks CC and you're immune to CC while you stay in the desecration.) These abilities are related to CC and thematically blood, frost, and unholy, respectively, but there's nothing forcing you to take the one that's thematic to your active spec.
---
*Turn Evil can now be cast on players. When used, it applies a small goatee and causes them to explain their diabolical plans while steepling their fingers.
#20EpicKingdom_Posted 5/12/2014 11:04:16 AM
World of Casual.

)=
---
http://i.imgur.com/aRtv4fD.png