This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

WoW - what's changed since wotlk?

#21Orestes417Posted 5/12/2014 11:33:01 AM
my_name_is_Ed posted...
Orestes417 posted...
my_name_is_Ed posted...
Talents have been changed. You now have 6, instead of a bunch. I hate this change.

Alot of class mechanics have changed such as the Shaman Totems and the Warlock stones.

Dungeons aren't what they used to be. now you just blaze through as even squishy classes can solo them. I find this the most annoying.

MoP hands out gold like candy, and because of that AH prices have sky rocketed. It costs 100g for a Priest glyph that does nothing but give you visual wings every time you heal. 90g for a Monk glyph that lets you use Roll on water. (an ability where you quickly roll about 10 yards).

It's pretty rediculous really. I came back a month ago, and I'm just kinda putting up with it, hoping WoD at least fixes the Dungeons and Gold thing.

Lets be honest here, for any given build you have more actual choice now than before even with fewer talents. Your choices before were the mathematically correct build or sucking. Your choices now are the mathematically correct build +/- 2-3 fluff talents.

Great, now we have no idea who has the capability of researching what they need to know, such as read up on the fights, because nobody has to look up the best build, everyone just has it by default. They have less reason than ever to do research, so why bother now.

Awesome. I love recruiting dumbasses into my raids.

Yeah, as if anyone actually did their on math in a post Wrath world anyway. Get over yourself, the build changes have precisely ZERO effect on player quality and frankly they never did aside from weeding out the obvious morons. If you can't spot those within the first like 5 minutes of an instance run your guild standards aren't high enough that I'd want to bother applying in the first place
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#22Tucker_BAPosted 5/12/2014 11:36:39 AM
A lot of bad raids in Cata. A lot of good raids in MoP. New races that don't matter. A new class, which does matter. Mounts and pets are account-wide. The talent system is stupidly simple now. You can now change armor appearances. PVP is still bad, but MoP added some pretty neat battlegrounds.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjD6wo9BIyM
#23shamfuruPosted 5/12/2014 11:42:31 AM
I see that PCH edge is rearing its ugly head.
---
Life is normally too short to purposely seek out things you hate, but apparently that rule doesn't apply on the Xbox One board.
#24Tommy2GoGoPosted 5/12/2014 1:12:23 PM
I am a late player. Started a few weeks ago.

Honestly, I am a huge warcraft fan. played the RTS like crazy.

I was expecting this game to be amazing.
Yet it's just way too slow and simple for me. I just can't get into it. I keep trying. But it's just not cutting it .
#25my_name_is_EdPosted 5/12/2014 1:58:33 PM
Orestes417 posted...
my_name_is_Ed posted...
Orestes417 posted...
my_name_is_Ed posted...
Talents have been changed. You now have 6, instead of a bunch. I hate this change.

Alot of class mechanics have changed such as the Shaman Totems and the Warlock stones.

Dungeons aren't what they used to be. now you just blaze through as even squishy classes can solo them. I find this the most annoying.

MoP hands out gold like candy, and because of that AH prices have sky rocketed. It costs 100g for a Priest glyph that does nothing but give you visual wings every time you heal. 90g for a Monk glyph that lets you use Roll on water. (an ability where you quickly roll about 10 yards).

It's pretty rediculous really. I came back a month ago, and I'm just kinda putting up with it, hoping WoD at least fixes the Dungeons and Gold thing.

Lets be honest here, for any given build you have more actual choice now than before even with fewer talents. Your choices before were the mathematically correct build or sucking. Your choices now are the mathematically correct build +/- 2-3 fluff talents.

Great, now we have no idea who has the capability of researching what they need to know, such as read up on the fights, because nobody has to look up the best build, everyone just has it by default. They have less reason than ever to do research, so why bother now.

Awesome. I love recruiting dumbasses into my raids.

Yeah, as if anyone actually did their on math in a post Wrath world anyway. Get over yourself, the build changes have precisely ZERO effect on player quality and frankly they never did aside from weeding out the obvious morons. If you can't spot those within the first like 5 minutes of an instance run your guild standards aren't high enough that I'd want to bother applying in the first place

of course it doesn't have an affect on player quality. It's harder to weed out the idiots from the half-brained monkeys who know how to use a search engine. I'd much rather be able to keep the idiots out from the get go than to find out on the first boss I just recruited a f***ton of s*** brains.
---
http://puu.sh/7uzXq.jpg
Our dearest SBAllen. "Admin by day. Sailor Scout by night."
#26Orestes417Posted 5/12/2014 2:06:13 PM
That's what trial runs in 5 mans and with alts are for. Like I said, any competent app process can get them filtered out real quick. Certainly before they ever touched a real lockout, barring their reputation being well known among guild.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#27BogePosted 5/12/2014 2:09:35 PM(edited)
You can level to the max level without pressing any buttons now. You can sleep on your keyboard and your character levels himself. That's how easy and fast the leveling process has become. You can 2 man any regular difficulty instance without crowd control or wipes at all.

Basically, the game is ZERO challenge without playing heroics (not much challenge either) challenge modes or raiding.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#28ConkerPosted 5/12/2014 2:08:43 PM
Gamerlicious posted...
I played since vanilla and quit a couple years ago. I came back to the game a couple months ago. Basically I leveled up to 90, got geared up, and quit again. I did the legendary cloak quest, and cleared everything in LFR and some in flex. It just got boring to me again real fast. I was dumb enough to preorder WoD for the lvl 90 boost for my alt. I honestly don't think I'll even play when WoD comes out, so that was a waste of money.

The fact you think preordering was the dumb part is the problem with the majority of complaints nowdays. You boosted to 90 at a time they've already made the content easier since much of it's been out for a year or more...so I'll assume (feel free to clarify) you didn't play most of the new content/areas but just went straight for Timeless Isle/end-game? Sure, the gameplay never drastically changes, but there was a lot to see leveling to 90 that I can imagine someone would miss if they boosted, not to mention can breeze through the easy content now.

You really only have yourself to blame if you "came back" for a couple months and quit, knowing what the game is and that MoP isn't fresh anymore. To be fair though, that's still probably a decent amount of value for your dollar if you spent two months on it.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#29ConkerPosted 5/12/2014 2:12:26 PM
Boge posted...
You can level to the max level without pressing any buttons now. You can sleep on your keyboard and your character levels himself. That's how easy and fast the leveling process has become.

Yeah, for people that don't care about playing the game or have played for years and years. That isn't exactly a bad thing. It's the people who *gasp* might actually play the content and get to the point of it being a challenge that makes your post seem ignorant.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#30Silent Sniper IVPosted 5/12/2014 2:53:53 PM(edited)
There's good and there's bad imo. I'm playing it now to kind of get ready for WoD and get on my guilds regular mythic raid groups.

Good: I think the raid game is decent at this point. Challenge modes and heroic raids are tuned to be pretty entertaining, and if you like achievement hunting and battle pets and stuff there's a lot to do in between.

I think the talent tree change is fine. There was almost always an "optimal" build that everyone used to use and it changed with flavor of the month. Very rarely were there ever more than one or two effective cookie cutter specs per tree. I like the way minor glyphs have been handled, and I don't feel like anything of value was lost by standardizing the false 'choices' except that there's less for the terrible players who don't like to use google to screw up.

Bad: 1-90 shouldn't even exist anymore, it's such a joke. Don't expect to feel even remotely challenged by anything at all until you pass the flex raid barrier. This is problematic because if you get bad luck on drops you can linger around that point for awhile, and it encourages re-running flex and LFR to get geared up to do normal and beyond.

Artificial progression barriers: My warlock's experience was that it took all of 3 weeks to go from level 80 to ilvl 530ish, and now he's pretty much stuck playing 2-4 hours a week to sleep through flex and a few LFR wings if I don't want to be carried through normal by guild, and most stuff I'm working on (ie- legendary cloak) is "spend an hour or two on it and then wait until tuesdays reset."

A lot of the game design feels like gearchecks that are held back by weekly resets to stop people from getting too much loot too fast. This makes alts a pain to catch up to any interesting content.

Conker posted...
The fact you think preordering was the dumb part is the problem with the majority of complaints nowdays. You boosted to 90 at a time they've already made the content easier since much of it's been out for a year or more...so I'll assume (feel free to clarify) you didn't play most of the new content/areas but just went straight for Timeless Isle/end-game? Sure, the gameplay never drastically changes, but there was a lot to see leveling to 90 that I can imagine someone would miss if they boosted, not to mention can breeze through the easy content now.

There's nothing wrong with that line of thinking. Some people find 1-90 to be the most insipid gameplay ever created, myself included. I've been doing terrible leveling treadmills since 90s MMOs and I find absolutely nothing interesting or redeeming about them. "The game starts at the endgame" is a pretty common line of thought for people who enjoy raids but find awful "collect 5 bear ass" quests to be satan in video game form.

You mention it being easy, but that's half the problem. I don't want to run around doing fetchquests where the biggest challenge is not killing myself by jumping from too high of a ledge any more than I want to sit around playing barney's hide and go seek. Sure both are pretty easy, but I'm not going to have any fun playing either one.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned