This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

WoW - what's changed since wotlk?

#31shamfuruPosted 5/12/2014 4:55:49 PM
shamfuru posted...
I see that PCH edge is rearing its ugly head.

And there it is. Didn't take that long.
---
Life is normally too short to purposely seek out things you hate, but apparently that rule doesn't apply on the Xbox One board.
#32reaper of soulsPosted 5/12/2014 5:05:22 PM
The game is much better now if you are a fan of raiding. There are multiple difficulty levels, so you should be able to find something that's a challenge for you. The people who think that the game has gotten easier obviously aren't heroic raiders. While raids in general are more accessible to the average player, that's only because WoW now offers an "easy mode" for each raid. Heroic raiding (soon to be Mythic) is still quite difficult, as indicated by the percentage of people who have actually cleared that content.

Some changes that have either been implemented or will be implemented in the next expansion:
-cross-realm raids. You can now find the right group that fits your schedule/playstyle without the hassle of needing to transfer servers.
-flexible difficuly levels. There will be four difficulty levels for each raid: LFR, Normal, Heroic, and Mythic.
-flexible raid sizes. You can have anywhere from 10 to 25 people for all but the highest raiding difficulty, and the raid will scale appropriately.
#33ConkerPosted 5/12/2014 6:49:51 PM
There's nothing wrong with that line of thinking. Some people find 1-90 to be the most insipid gameplay ever created, myself included.

Yes there is something wrong with that thinking if you're going to invest in a game you've already played enough to know how it works and repeat doing so but even skip the content by boosting. If you really think it's the most insipid gameplay, then why bother playing? The basic formula in the game isn't going to magically change after ten years.

I've been doing terrible leveling treadmills since 90s MMOs and I find absolutely nothing interesting or redeeming about them. "The game starts at the endgame" is a pretty common line of thought for people who enjoy raids but find awful "collect 5 bear ass" quests to be satan in video game form.

You mention it being easy, but that's half the problem. I don't want to run around doing fetchquests where the biggest challenge is not killing myself by jumping from too high of a ledge any more than I want to sit around playing barney's hide and go seek. Sure both are pretty easy, but I'm not going to have any fun playing either one.

I meant easy as in the endgame content that other poster did in a couple months. Of course it's become easy now after being out for a length of time. Blizzard has always done that with WoW. Whether it's nerfing XP, nerfing bosses, nerfing instances, nerfing requirements, and recently adding methods like Timeless Isle to acquire gear after the alternative has been out for a while.

If you're sick of fetch quests, and only want end-game, maybe the problem isn't Blizzard or the game, but the fact you want more out of it. Seriously, the games been out nearly a decade, and you've played other similar games before it...think the problem could possibly be you? I usually get burned out on a game in one or two playthroughs or a few weeks of multiplayer, but I don't complain it's the games.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#34Silent Sniper IVPosted 5/12/2014 7:13:04 PM
Conker posted...

Yes there is something wrong with that thinking if you're going to invest in a game you've already played enough to know how it works and repeat doing so but even skip the content by boosting. If you really think it's the most insipid gameplay, then why bother playing? The basic formula in the game isn't going to magically change after ten years.

But I enjoy endgame content and that's where I spend 99% of my gameplay time (as does anyone that doesn't have alt-itis?) so I don't really see how any of that is relevant. I just don't enjoy 1-90 in any way, shape or form, thats all.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#35ConkerPosted 5/12/2014 7:28:56 PM
Silent Sniper IV posted...
Conker posted...

But I enjoy endgame content and that's where I spend 99% of my gameplay time (as does anyone that doesn't have alt-itis?) so I don't really see how any of that is relevant. I just don't enjoy 1-90 in any way, shape or form, thats all.

That's great. I don't know how that is relevant or why you keep replying on a separate issue than what I originally replied about or have continued to focus on.

Gamerlicious said it was dumb to pre-order since they likely wouldn't bother with WoD, while I was saying the dumb part is rather that they got the boost during a time when the end-game content is easier/more accessible to finish since it's been out a while, so of course they (whoever is boosting for MoP) would breeze through it and feel bored again after a couple months. They're coming back during the "easy" time of this expansion for older content that they will likely rush through.

The point of boosting to 90 isn't to get to the end of MoP, it's more to get ready for WoD. There is a difference to why YOU'D boost and why someone else would boost to play MoP end-game content now. Are you getting what I'm saying here? Re-read my post, and it says very little about enjoying the leveling itself. In one instance you've likely been playing this content for a while and enjoy that part of the game, in the other this guy hasn't been playing MoP, comes back and gets an instant end-game jump for MoP and likely did Timeless Isle for the quick jump into LFR which are also easy-mode/entry-level raids, and saw the content, then got sick of the game again...well no s***.

Also, many people like the leveling aspect of MMO's and the single-player "casual" type of play, you obviously don't. So if you're going to complain after that's what the game has been about for a long time, again...it's your fault and expectations being off. It's like someone that played Diablo 1 and 2 complaining 3 is just "kill lots of s*** for hours and hours repeatedly for just better gear." That's the whole basis...skills, classes, items, areas might change, but at the end of the day it's the same formula ad-nauseam. Exactly what WoW has done for both leveling AND end-game content...you just happen to like the end-game only.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#36Orestes417Posted 5/12/2014 7:44:05 PM
reaper of souls posted...
The game is much better now if you are a fan of raiding. There are multiple difficulty levels, so you should be able to find something that's a challenge for you. The people who think that the game has gotten easier obviously aren't heroic raiders. While raids in general are more accessible to the average player, that's only because WoW now offers an "easy mode" for each raid. Heroic raiding (soon to be Mythic) is still quite difficult, as indicated by the percentage of people who have actually cleared that content.

Some changes that have either been implemented or will be implemented in the next expansion:
-cross-realm raids. You can now find the right group that fits your schedule/playstyle without the hassle of needing to transfer servers.
-flexible difficuly levels. There will be four difficulty levels for each raid: LFR, Normal, Heroic, and Mythic.
-flexible raid sizes. You can have anywhere from 10 to 25 people for all but the highest raiding difficulty, and the raid will scale appropriately.

None of which improves things in the slightest from where I'm sitting. Need to go back to one difficulty, with separate 10 and 25 man content built and balanced exclusively for the player count intended, We also need "challenge" modes to be environmentally triggered per boss Ulduar style.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#37Saga3Posted 5/12/2014 7:49:11 PM(edited)
I could rant about how casual the game has gotten but I'm not going to bother, that's for another day and the guys on the WoW board don't appreciate it either...
I will say this, the social aspect is dead, it is not the same as it once was. It's just so bland. You get to max level you run two heroics with dungeon finder and then you are set for raid finder. After you run that around 20 times you are ready for flex. If you are not in a raid guild at this point you are probably not going to get much further. It's just a straight line, no room for movement doing different things like you once did.

You don't talk to players anymore and when you try to instigate chatter you get nothing. Of course this is different when in a guild, but if you aren't this is what it is like. Assuming you are in a raiding guild then it's slightly better although raiding feels boring, you have seen it all before and glazed past it when you were in Raid Finder. It doesn't feel epic.

PVP turned bad at WOTLK anyway, so no need to worry there. It is a lot more friendly to people without PVP gear so there's that. (New stat)

Everything is streamlined, refer back to the 'straight line'. You get a mount at level 20(?) for like 2g, and another at 40 which is like 10g, no more farming for that epic mount just one boring straight line. Talents are terrible too. Instead of 71 points, you get 6; for some talent in which there is always a best for a certain fight, rendering the whole concept useless. You can get to 85 in 24 hours.

Oh, and guess what! They introduced a cash shop, yes a company that charges you $15 a month actually introduced a cash shop for levelling characters, buying mounts, buying cosmetics; all of which could have been obtained within game if Blizzard weren't so greedy.

The only time it doesn't feel like a single player game is when you are raiding with a guild, and even then it isn't exactly 'massive'

So yes, stay away, stay far away.
#38reaper of soulsPosted 5/12/2014 8:26:18 PM
Orestes417 posted...
reaper of souls posted...

None of which improves things in the slightest from where I'm sitting. Need to go back to one difficulty, with separate 10 and 25 man content built and balanced exclusively for the player count intended, We also need "challenge" modes to be environmentally triggered per boss Ulduar style.

So you've never been in a dying guild looking for a more active community? Or in a guild that was too serious/too casual for your own liking? Or been a raid leader/guild leader looking to fill out your roster? Or had friends on other servers?

All of these are situations in which a player can greatly benefit from the changes coming in Warlords. Blizzard is trying to implement systems that make it even easier to play with friends, either from real life or in game.

The game is only devoid of community if don't bother to go out and look for one. If your only interaction is with people through PUGs, then naturally that will sour your experience of the game. That happens with any online game.
#39Orestes417Posted 5/12/2014 8:33:23 PM
Oh I've done the dying guild thing, which is precisely why I say the changes are ****. If they hadn't implemented all this misguided solo friendly raid when you like crap the actual server community, which was murdered by it, would've provided a pool of people. Unfortunately the move to make 10 man and 25 man "playstyle choices" instead of legitimate progressions straight up killed 25 man raiding, LFR killed legitimate pugs through which recruiting could happen, and the general hift to cross realm queuing killed the rest of the server community. Why form groups on server with people you know when you can be an ass and ninja third spec items in an LFR group you'll never see again?

So no. **** homogenization, **** tourist difficulties, **** the deemphasis on guilds and server communities, **** LFR, **** the lazy ass approach to new content and it's compromised design and **** the mother ****ers who ate the **** up like it was a gift from on high.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#40reaper of soulsPosted 5/12/2014 8:45:17 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Why form groups on server with people you know when you can be an ass and ninja third spec items in an LFR group you'll never see again?.

LFR uses a personal loot system. You can't ninja items.