This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any idea when new PC components are released (GPU/CPU)? Should I build now?

#1mkil5Posted 5/12/2014 6:12:47 AM
Hey guys, I am looking to build my second gaming PC. The first one I built was in 2008, and has obviously run its course.

I am looking at building a mid level gaming PC (AMD FX-8320, R9 270X, or something close).

My biggest concern now is the longevity of a build like this. I am wandering when the new CPUs and GPUs will generally be released/announced. And what features/improvements could be expected out of a mid level card? I know things may get announced at random times, but I have never followed these things and wondering if there was a certain time of year when new models are released, or if new models should be expected later this year. And even then if they would be worth waiting on.

Generally it wouldn't bother me much, but at the beginning (or end) of a console generation, has me more cautious than I would normally be.

Thanks for the help.
#2PhilOnDezPosted 5/12/2014 6:29:37 AM(edited)
Devil's Canyon (Haswell refresh) is in less than a month. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't contemplating an upgrade despite not really needing it. My interest is more in the overclocking ability of the parts though, not so much the per-clock performance increase over my 3570k. They're basically haswell parts with a handful of new chipset features but they have the same soldered TIM that Sandy Bridge and current 2011 parts use.

If you don't want to overclock though I wouldn't wait, if you do want to overclock though you'd be crazy not to. I would advise pretty much any devil's canyon or Haswell i5 over an 8320 though, especially if you don't want to overclock. If you do plan on overclocking though the 8320 isn't an awful choice given the price but it's not a part I would pick due to its poor single threaded performance which matters a lot to me (hence my interest in a part that will overclock extremely well)
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#3mkil5(Topic Creator)Posted 5/12/2014 6:48:19 AM
Yes, if I were to get an FX-8320, it would definitely be overclocked. From what I have read it is basically an underclocked FX-8350.

Do you know anything about new AMD chips? I am leaning towards that way because of the cost is much lower to the Intels, especially overclockable chips.

If I were to get a FX today and OC it, would it be comparable or better to the graphics of this console generation for the life of the console. I know the specs would be better, but console optimization hasn't happened yet. I am in no way comparing a PC from today to one in 8 years from now.
#4thegreatsquarePosted 5/12/2014 7:33:34 AM
i7 4790k [june-ish]

Haswell-E 6/8-core w/DDR4 support [Summer/Early Fall]

If longevity is a concern, the entry-level Haswell-E 6-core is a good bet. It's gonna cost a bit more than normal "E" setups considering the use of DDR4.
---
What games look like on my 4yr old ASUS G73jh - http://www.overclock.net
/g/a/36947/asus-g73jh-screenshot-record-of-the-games-as-played-2013-retirement/
#5PhilOnDezPosted 5/12/2014 7:34:04 AM
The processor won't really affect graphics much, only your max framerate. Some games do have settings that will affect your CPU load but they don't typically make a big difference. There are not likely to be any new FX processors, they've pretty much given up on them and are now focusing on the FM2+ socket with their APUs, even their new CPUs are releasing on that platform and the FX roadmap is pretty much dead with no leaks or announcements for quite some time.

At stock, the 8350 is about 4x as powerful per thread as the CPUs in the consoles, the 8320 will be a bit less so (3.8-ish), basically each thread is about 50% faster per clock and clocked about 2.5x as high. Compared to the 8350 the 4570 is about 50% faster per thread at stock despite the lower clocks putting them pretty much in a dead heat at 6 threads which is all games are likely to use in the near future since the consoles have two cores locked currently with the bonus of being 50% faster when running 4 or less threads.

Intel parts are more expensive than AMD parts because they're just better. If you pick a pricepoint that both intel and AMD offer a part in ($120 i3 vs 6300, $200 4570 vs 8350) the parts are very comparable to each other overall with AMD having the edge in heavily multithreaded performance (far from the norm in gaming) and intel having the edge in 1-4 threaded games/apps and power consumption (an OCd 8350 can easily pull 2-2.5 times as much power as an i7). The reason intel has higher priced parts on the high end is because AMD just doesn't have anything to compete with those parts (the 9590 barely counts, it has 3x the TDP of an i7 and still gets beaten).

Like I said in my first post, I'd highly recommend pretty much any i5 over an 8350. If multithreading becomes more important in the future you can always upgrade to an i7. There really isn't an upgrade path from an OCd 83XX part that doesn't involve moving to an intel mobo and CPU.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#6Vindication123Posted 5/12/2014 10:15:20 AM
Considering games being released soon just started making use of the modern GPUs like the 700-series and 500-600 series are currently being used, I'd say it would be quite easy to skip the next stuff coming out.

I think the main issue for upgrades soon would be if DDR4 was an important asset to aquire. I'd think DDR4 would be great for a APUs.
---
A turtle crossed the road and got mugged by two snails. As police arrive, they ask it what happened. The turtle replies, I dont know. It all happened so fast.