This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

RPG Codex votes and reviews the top 70 PC RPG's of all time. Thoughts?

#1BendoHendoPosted 5/12/2014 7:40:35 AM
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453

I find it funny that Diablo II isn't on the list. Most PC gamers that I know would rank it in the top 10 best PC RPG's.

Also, as a game, I'm not sure that Planescape should be #1. It's more like an interactive novel than a game

--
#2xanthan1Posted 5/12/2014 7:48:27 AM
Oh hey, Alpha Protocol got on it. Cool.
#3BendoHendo(Topic Creator)Posted 5/12/2014 7:49:03 AM
xanthan1 posted...
y, Alpha Protocol got on it. Cool.

The codex seems to rate that game highly. They love Obsidian.

--
#4xanthan1Posted 5/12/2014 7:57:45 AM(edited)
BendoHendo posted...
xanthan1 posted...
y, Alpha Protocol got on it. Cool.

The codex seems to rate that game highly. They love Obsidian.

--

Also that even if it has some bugs, a lot of bugs, it's still a great game. Oh, and unbalanced skills. God pistols was overpowered...
#5ShadowThaReaperPosted 5/12/2014 7:58:52 AM
It's a good list.

BendoHendo posted...
I find it funny that Diablo II isn't on the list. Most PC gamers that I know would rank it in the top 10 best PC RPG's.

Diablo 2 isn't much of an RPG. That's why it's not on the list.

Also, as a game, I'm not sure that Planescape should be #1. It's more like an interactive novel than a game

It's a roleplaying game where you can make choices in the narrative. Stop talking about genres you don't understand and go play a damn action game.
#6FenriswolfPosted 5/12/2014 8:10:47 AM
A lots of the listed games aren't pure RPGs either, like Deus Ex, Quest for Glory, Mount & Blade, and Star Control
---
Hello
#7dekouPosted 5/12/2014 8:38:10 AM(edited)
It's a pretty good list, but I don't know how The River of Time and Risen can be above Human Revolution and Divine Divinity. Or well, how they can be on this list at all. The River of Time is utterly mediocre and Risen collapses 1/3 through its campaign.
---
Intel Pentium II OC @ 450 MHz | 128 Mb RAM | Falcon Northwest Special Edition Maxi Gamer Xentor 32 SE | 2x 4 Gb Seagate HDD
#8Chaos_MissilePosted 5/12/2014 8:47:54 AM
Divinity 2?

I have issues with some of their design choices(the ability to sheath your weapon is one thing, but forcing you to sheate it during ALL conversations, have a conversation with a BOSS that immediately attacks you after said conversation while you CANT fight back unless you waste that 3 precious seconds unsheating your weapon which kills all momentum, even while jumping? Who the hell thought this was a good idea?) and the game overall bored me.

Had more fun with Kingdom of Amalur.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#9thegreatsquarePosted 5/12/2014 8:48:29 AM
I'd put Oblivion on that list and bump Divinity 2, but it is a good list otherwise. Kudos to giving New Vegas it's true props over FO3.
---
What games look like on my 4yr old ASUS G73jh - http://www.overclock.net
/g/a/36947/asus-g73jh-screenshot-record-of-the-games-as-played-2013-retirement/
#10Dark_SpiretPosted 5/12/2014 8:55:45 AM
Chaos_Missile posted...
Divinity 2?

I have issues with some of their design choices(the ability to sheath your weapon is one thing, but forcing you to sheate it during ALL conversations, have a conversation with a BOSS that immediately attacks you after said conversation while you CANT fight back unless you waste that 3 precious seconds unsheating your weapon which kills all momentum, even while jumping? Who the hell thought this was a good idea?) and the game overall bored me.

Had more fun with Kingdom of Amalur.
i dont see how one nitpick somehow offsets everything that made that game interesting like the nice loot system, hilarious and well written dialog, multiple ways to solve quests, free flow character building and it had a lot of elements you normally dont see in rpg's like the dragon riding, fortress building and mind reading. its janky in a lot of ways, but so are most of the games on that list. its easy to see why its on there, atleast at its ranking.
---
Currently playing: Don't Starve - Just Cause 2 - Bound by Flame