This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

RPG Codex votes and reviews the top 70 PC RPG's of all time. Thoughts?

#11Tyranius2Posted 5/12/2014 8:55:57 AM
Human Revolution shouldn't even be in the list. Overall, nice list.
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#12InterfusorPosted 5/12/2014 8:59:06 AM
Good list. I've never enjoyed Gothic games though.
---
I am not economically viable.
#13Chaos_MissilePosted 5/12/2014 9:39:53 AM
Dark_Spiret posted...
Chaos_Missile posted...
Divinity 2?

I have issues with some of their design choices(the ability to sheath your weapon is one thing, but forcing you to sheate it during ALL conversations, have a conversation with a BOSS that immediately attacks you after said conversation while you CANT fight back unless you waste that 3 precious seconds unsheating your weapon which kills all momentum, even while jumping? Who the hell thought this was a good idea?) and the game overall bored me.

Had more fun with Kingdom of Amalur.

i dont see how one nitpick somehow offsets everything that made that game interesting like the nice loot system, hilarious and well written dialog, multiple ways to solve quests, free flow character building and it had a lot of elements you normally dont see in rpg's like the dragon riding, fortress building and mind reading. its janky in a lot of ways, but so are most of the games on that list. its easy to see why its on there, atleast at its ranking.

Most of the magic also has a hard damage cap, which is...odd to say the least. There was also one particular spell that is kinda gamebreaker when the AI uses it, Magic Blast, since its undodgeable, magic has a hard cap and from what I saw in the FAQ, can reach up to the thousands of damage, which is far more than the max HP one will ever get.

The combat mechanics were also pretty slow and clunky. Again, using the KoA example, that had better flow.

Divinity 2....had uncancellable frames in the basic weapon combos. It actually throws my timing off a few times. I literally had to jump like a monkey everywhere and heavily depend more on magic because of that.

The loot is...okay. The economy system is a little *too* realistic for my taste. Vendors quite literally can only buy back so much stuffs and you can collect vendor trash fairly easy in this game.

I'll give points for the dragon segments though, those were kinda fun
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#14PaperDiddyKongPosted 5/12/2014 10:01:11 AM
Glad Alpha Protocol made it. Such an underrated game.
#15water1111Posted 5/12/2014 10:03:14 AM
Why does RPG codex love obsidian so much, They haven't made a good game in years.
---
You are born Free but taxed to death
#16Hi CPosted 5/12/2014 10:08:35 AM
U7 The Black Gate is way too low, maybe switch it with Fallout 1, otherwise I don't have an issue with that list.
#17Hi CPosted 5/12/2014 10:09:05 AM
water1111 posted...
Why does RPG codex love obsidian so much, They haven't made a good game in years.

Water1111 post.
#18ShadowThaReaperPosted 5/12/2014 10:09:45 AM
Hi C posted...
maybe switch it with Fallout 1

Absolutely not. Fallout 1 deserves its spot.
#19Born LuckyPosted 5/12/2014 10:12:31 AM
dekou posted...
I don't know how The River of Time and Risen can be above Human Revolution and Divine Divinity.

The River of Time blows HR out of the water.

Period.
---
I was talking to the parrot - Poirot
#20Hi CPosted 5/12/2014 10:15:01 AM
BendoHendo posted...
xanthan1 posted...
y, Alpha Protocol got on it. Cool.

The codex seems to rate that game highly. They love Obsidian.

--

They are the only reason Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 were any good and why Bioware has put out nothing but s*** since they worked with Interplay and Black Isle.