This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

RPG Codex votes and reviews the top 70 PC RPG's of all time. Thoughts?

#21GynthaeresPosted 5/12/2014 10:35:47 AM
Not a bad list. I can obviously only comment on what I've played, so maybe there are more problems, but...

I'd put FO2 above FO1 easily, but I can see why some people might prefer the original.

No Mass Effect 2 listed at all, though I found superior to the original by far.

I do find it weird that Diablo isn't listed, but Dark Souls is. I agree with Shadow in that Diablo really isn't much of an RPG. But in the same token, I wouldn't call Dark Souls an RPG either. Both are just action / hack-and-slash games, with some minor RPG elements in the form of stats and loot. And neither of those are critical to the RPG genre, IMO. especially since they're creeping into so many other genres, like FPS.

Dragon Age Origins is way, way too high IMO. I'd easily put Mass Effect, ME2, KotOR, and Neverwinter Nights 2 above it. Probably Divinity 2, too.

water1111 posted...
Why does RPG codex love obsidian so much, They haven't made a good game in years.

The vast majority of the games they've put out have been extremely good, just a bit buggy.

Their worst title, Alpha Protocol, still had a lot of great stuff in it.
---
The sole purpose of this space is to make my post look longer.
#22shamfuruPosted 5/12/2014 11:11:22 AM
Born Lucky posted...
dekou posted...
I don't know how The River of Time and Risen can be above Human Revolution and Divine Divinity.

The River of Time blows HR out of the water.

Period.

Lol
---
Life is normally too short to purposely seek out things you hate, but apparently that rule doesn't apply on the Xbox One board.
#23happyscrub1Posted 5/12/2014 11:35:20 AM
Must of been a bunch of hipsters voting because a lot of those games were failures by industry standards
---
Who is happyscrub? Click to find out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRaxB9eK1X4
#24ShadowThaReaperPosted 5/12/2014 11:37:28 AM
happyscrub1 posted...
Must of been a bunch of hipsters voting because a lot of those games were failures by industry standards

Shut the hell up.
#25water1111Posted 5/12/2014 11:42:02 AM
ShadowThaReaper posted...
happyscrub1 posted...

Shut the hell up.

He has a point tho, who the hell considers Alpha Protocol a good game,its a buggy unoptimised pos port.
---
You are born Free but taxed to death
#26ShadowThaReaperPosted 5/12/2014 11:43:42 AM
water1111 posted...
He has a point tho, who the hell considers Alpha Protocol a good game,its a buggy unoptimised pos port.

It's a better RPG than Mass Effect. It makes the Bioware fanboys mad, too.
#27Majoras_pantsPosted 5/12/2014 11:49:29 AM
Alphha Protocol was a great RPG. And considering how much less buggy the PC versionw as, I don't see how anyone could call it a bad port.

Mass Effect shouldn't have been on the list at all. Crap game. And Fallout 2 should have been above Fallout 1. And Dark Souls should have been much lower on the list. Like, maybe number 50. It's a good game but not even close to top 20.

Besides that it's a REALLY solid list.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#28SinfullyvannilaPosted 5/12/2014 12:23:04 PM(edited)
BendoHendo posted...
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453

I find it funny that Diablo II isn't on the list. Most PC gamers that I know would rank it in the top 10 best PC RPG's.

Also, as a game, I'm not sure that Planescape should be #1. It's more like an interactive novel than a game

--

Ehh, it's not like it's head and shoulders above anything on the top 10 though.

Nice to see King of Dragon Pass on there. That's an excellent and underexposed game. Not what many would consider a proper RPG, but it's also strangely enough the one where actually acting in character is the most important to success. And nice to see Darklands so highly on there. Easily one of the most unique and ambitious RPGs ever.
---
Friend Code 3050-7626-8586 Abra/Sigilyph/Gothorita FS, PM me for FS trades.
#29johnny_payPosted 5/12/2014 1:05:37 PM
it was a community vote and not the website owners actual opinions.
#30Tyranius2Posted 5/12/2014 1:06:08 PM
No Mass Effect 2 listed at all, though I found superior to the original by far.

ME2 isn't an RPG. It's a third person shooter with RPG elements.

Dragon Age Origins is way, way too high IMO. I'd easily put Mass Effect, ME2, KotOR, and Neverwinter Nights 2 above it. Probably Divinity 2, too.

DA:O is better than all of those. Rightful spot.
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius