This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

RPG Codex votes and reviews the top 70 PC RPG's of all time. Thoughts?

#31TheOtherGuyXPosted 5/12/2014 3:49:23 PM
To be clear, most of us there don't agree with the order these games ended up in either but that is what happens when you have open voting. Many new users voted resulting in lots of pissing and moaning about gems like Ultima VII not being in the top 10 or Gold Box games not being higher up. It's best to just read through the list and disregard the ordering.
---
"The only thing that comes to a sleeping man is dreams."
#32BendoHendo(Topic Creator)Posted 5/12/2014 4:11:48 PM
Tyranius2 posted...
No Mass Effect 2 listed at all, though I found superior to the original by far.

ME2 isn't an RPG. It's a third person shooter with RPG elements.

Dragon Age Origins is way, way too high IMO. I'd easily put Mass Effect, ME2, KotOR, and Neverwinter Nights 2 above it. Probably Divinity 2, too.

DA:O is better than all of those. Rightful spot.

ME2 is much more of an RPG than System Shock 1.

--
#33-5xad0w-Posted 5/12/2014 4:19:52 PM
I endorse Dark Sun and ADOM.

Not a horrible list, though I'd imagine everyone would have some order issues.

I love VtM:Bloodlines but it seems kind of high.

Alpha Protocol was decent story wise with how it changed based on your actions but the combat was abysmal.
---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
#34kobalobasileusPosted 5/12/2014 4:36:30 PM
The fact that they gush about the combat in Dark Souls calls the whole list into question.
#35Hi CPosted 5/12/2014 8:41:32 PM
BendoHendo posted...
Tyranius2 posted...

Dragon Age Origins is way, way too high IMO. I'd easily put Mass Effect, ME2, KotOR, and Neverwinter Nights 2 above it. Probably Divinity 2, too.

ME2 is much more of an RPG than System Shock 1.

--

http://ih0.redbubble.net/image.13744639.4049/sticker,375x360.u2.png
#36Justin2KrelianPosted 5/12/2014 8:50:32 PM
Well, they immediately got #1 right, so there's that.
#37thatauthorPosted 5/12/2014 9:06:26 PM
xanthan1 posted...
Also that even if it has some bugs, a lot of bugs, it's still a great game. Oh, and unbalanced skills. God pistols was overpowered...

I agree that it's a good game. didn't notice many(if any) bugs and didn't use pistols. I went for shotguns and either SMGs or assualt rifles. forget which one.
---
I have to browse like a peasant ~ pizzaman95
#38x_stevey_xPosted 5/12/2014 10:04:21 PM
lol alpha protocol, troll list
#39GynthaeresPosted 5/12/2014 10:16:35 PM
Tyranius2 posted...

The combat engine doesn't define an RPG.

What I would say actually defines an RPG is the ability to roleplay your character. This the the #1, most paramount thing for an RPG. Pretty much everything else, from stats to combat system to setting, is secondary.

And Mass Effect 2 does the roleplay thing better than many games. Certainly better than the original Mass Effect, where all I ever did was just go all top choices, or all bottom choices. In ME2 I actually mixed it up, and occasionally did Paragon / Renegade actions, as my character would do.

It's definitely a far better RPG than something like Dark Souls or Diablo.

Yeaaah, no. Absolutely mediocre story, combined with clumsy combat, a dull leveling, bad DLC, forgettable party members copy/pasted from previous Bioware offerings, boring loot, a morality system that touted having no right or wrong choice but in reality had a "best" choice for nearly every major decision, plenty of illusion of choice in dialogue (where you had several options of things to say, but they all led to the same place), race generally mattering little outside of the origin + returning to your home...

I've said before, I could (and have) fill a post with flaws DAO had. Some good stuff there, but it's not nearly at the level people try to pretend it is.

So I'd definitely put the things I listed far above Dragon Age Origins. Maybe not KotOR, as it's been ages since I've actually completed it, so it could be nostalgia thinking it's better. But Mass Effect 1 & 2? Definitely. Neverwinter Nights 2? Probably. And maybe Divinity 2, though that game was kind of janky in a lot of places.
---
The sole purpose of this space is to make my post look longer.
#40xanthan1Posted 5/12/2014 10:22:18 PM
x_stevey_x posted...
lol alpha protocol, troll list

Yes, troll list for having a great RPG on it...

Oh wait.