This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need help finding a fantasy RPG

#1Skorm_MoraPosted 5/12/2014 1:10:08 PM
Hey there PC fans, so a little back story to this post.

I'm very close to completing my 1000 hour goal for Skyrim, and I get the feeling I'll likely lose interest with Skyrim after then. So I've been looking around for a non mmo open world RPG, the few I've found an interest in was the Gothic series, Kingdom of Amalur, Risen, and Bound by Flame.

My favorite thing to do in any RPG is become the most evil and most powerful sorcerer that ever lived with large curled pauldrons, glowing red hands and practically breathes liquid vapor evil, and then glass half the planet

Does anyone know a good, fun, long-lasting RPGs, that accommodates this? And nobody say Fable 2 or 3, the guns ruin those games for me.

Side Notes: No guns, no mmos, doesn't have to be an RPG, can be a hack and slasher, difficulty and graphics don't matter, no trolling.
#2rkingPosted 5/12/2014 1:15:03 PM
Difficulty aside, I found the magic and magic system in Kingdoms of Amalur to be rather unimpressive. There's a significant lack of spell variety and the ones that exist look rather bland. Otherwise, it's a fun world with a decent amount of things to do in it.
---
http://www.d2offline.info - Diablo 2 SP forums
Phenom II x4 945/5770/1440x900 x2/8GB DDR3/Unicomp SpaceSaver/120GB SSD/320GB HDD
#3tumbleweed1Posted 5/12/2014 1:31:06 PM
gothic 1/gothic 2 gold edition/risen are far better than skyrim so if you appreciate a good rpg you will like them,gothic 3 with the community patch and risen 2 are still good but not as good
#4Justice98405Posted 5/12/2014 2:02:42 PM
"My favorite thing to do in any RPG is become the most evil and most powerful sorcerer that ever lived with large curled pauldrons, glowing red hands and practically breathes liquid vapor evil, and then glass half the planet"

They are not open world games, but I played through the entire Baldur's Gate saga (the first game, the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion, the sequel, Shadow of Amn, and it's expansion and series finale The Throne of Bhaal) as a Mage character and had an absolute blast!

By the later stages of Shadows of Amn and then into Throne of Bhaal you and your part become absolute BEASTS. But play them in order, all are great games, the character import is fun, and it's awesome to start off weak and level one in the first game and progress all the way to utter bad ass in Throne of Bhaal.

I have no idea how the Enhanced Editions are, I played the original games at/around release, and loved them.
---
To the mattresses.
3DS code: 2621-3902-1737, PSN: Justice_98405, Xbox Live: Justice98405
#5ComradeRyanPosted 5/12/2014 2:15:07 PM
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings.
---
We must reverse Citizens United, Restore our Democracy, and Save the Republic. Join the Fight for Free and Fair Elections in America!
http://www.wolf-pac.com
#6Spidey555Posted 5/12/2014 3:49:50 PM
Gothic 2 and Gothic 3 with community patches are better than anything out there

Fantastic game worlds.
---
PS4: Spidey555
Steam: Spidey555
#7ShadowThaReaperPosted 5/12/2014 3:51:28 PM
Spidey555 posted...
Gothic 2 and Gothic 3 with community patches are better than anything out there

No. What? No! An argument can be made for Gothic 2, but 3 is complete trash.
#8Spidey555Posted 5/12/2014 3:59:13 PM
Gothic 3 is just as good or better with community patches, have you even tried it?
---
PS4: Spidey555
Steam: Spidey555
#9Robot2600Posted 5/12/2014 4:15:13 PM(edited)
Might and Magic VIII
Arx Fatalis
Oblivion
Ultima 1 and 2 (others force you to be virtuous, and make you use a party which ultimately slows the game down)
NetHack
Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup
Tales of Maj'Eyal (ToME4)

And you said no guns, but I don't really care I'm just gonna throw out GTA4 because it's a huge open world with quests and it really does share some similarities with Skyrim/Oblivion in that sense.

EDIT: Dark Souls II just came out and looks fun.

Also, Diablo 1 and 2 never did anyone wrong. Not a huge fan of 3, however.
---
twitch.tv/Robot2600
#10SilentHawk29Posted 5/12/2014 7:46:18 PM
Morrowind is exactly what you're describing, much more than Oblivion.
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg