This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any way to put chrome or firefox + adblock on this tablet?

#11Emeraldrox(Topic Creator)Posted 5/12/2014 5:08:28 PM
Dorami posted...
I'm pretty sure that's a full Windows tablet, not a RT one.

Is there an error message when you try to install?

I'm not sure, but I think she did mention getting one when she tried to install from the webpage, and couldn't find it in the app store.
---
White 2 - 1335-5542-8288 White - 0347-5170-7984
3DS: 4854-6563-5216
#12SlaynPosted 5/12/2014 5:12:08 PM
Need more info man. Why won't it install? Please post a pic of her with the tablet.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#13urtvPosted 5/12/2014 6:15:46 PM
Slayn posted...
Need more info man. Why won't it install? Please post a pic of her.
#14PaukenPosted 5/12/2014 6:19:50 PM
kobalobasileus posted...
I bought that tablet for my mom, so I can speak with authority here.

It WILL NOT run Firefox acceptably. It will install and run, but it will be dog slow and choppy.

It will run Chrome. If you actually plan on using the touchscreen, however, you WILL NOT want to use Chrome, as its touch interface leaves much to be desired.

If you get a Windows tablet, you must come to terms with the fact that YOU WILL be using IE11 as your browser. IE11 is actually a good browser, and you can use the built-in capability for Tracking Protection Lists to block ads (just install Easylist's TPL, and it's essentially the same thing as Adblock).

How is it even remotely possible to make a modern tablet run Firefox worse than my mom's 10 year old laptop?? That basically suggests that tablets are so weak, they make the Wii look like the most powerful device ever...

Seriously, if my mom's 10 year old laptop with a crappy Centrino processor can outperform a modern Intel processor, that shows how bass-ackwards the modern prebuilt industry is.
#15Treason686Posted 5/12/2014 8:33:01 PM
Pauken posted...
kobalobasileus posted...

It WILL NOT run Firefox acceptably. It will install and run, but it will be dog slow and choppy.

It will run Chrome. If you actually plan on using the touchscreen, however, you WILL NOT want to use Chrome, as its touch interface leaves much to be desired.

If you get a Windows tablet, you must come to terms with the fact that YOU WILL be using IE11 as your browser. IE11 is actually a good browser, and you can use the built-in capability for Tracking Protection Lists to block ads (just install Easylist's TPL, and it's essentially the same thing as Adblock).

How is it even remotely possible to make a modern tablet run Firefox worse than my mom's 10 year old laptop?? That basically suggests that tablets are so weak, they make the Wii look like the most powerful device ever...

Seriously, if my mom's 10 year old laptop with a crappy Centrino processor can outperform a modern Intel processor, that shows how bass-ackwards the modern prebuilt industry is.

The authority has spoken!

It will surely run Firefox and/or Chrome without a hitch. There's no logical reason it can run IE but not another browser.

Chrome and Firefox are not on Microsoft's App Store. So you cannot download them from there.

Chrome and Firefox should simply be installed by visiting their respective websites and running the installers. If they do not install with these basic steps, we need more info.

Unfortunately, if there weren't already enough reasons to hate Windows 8, if you change the default browser you lose access to the Metro version of IE. This just happens to be the version optimized for touch.
---
I <3 segfault
#16Emeraldrox(Topic Creator)Posted 5/13/2014 2:43:17 AM
Treason686 posted...
Pauken posted...
kobalobasileus posted...

It will surely run Firefox and/or Chrome without a hitch. There's no logical reason it can run IE but not another browser.

Chrome and Firefox are not on Microsoft's App Store. So you cannot download them from there.

Chrome and Firefox should simply be installed by visiting their respective websites and running the installers. If they do not install with these basic steps, we need more info.

Unfortunately, if there weren't already enough reasons to hate Windows 8, if you change the default browser you lose access to the Metro version of IE. This just happens to be the version optimized for touch.

It doesn't let her download from the sites though.
---
#17Treason686Posted 5/13/2014 8:55:01 AM
Okay. So we need a tad bit more info still. Error messages? Does clicking the link appear to do anything? Is she having issues downloading from other sites? If she can't download Chrome or Firefox, it's very likely that there are other issues.
---
I <3 segfault
#18Neo_PortaPottyPosted 5/13/2014 9:05:07 AM
Emeraldrox posted...
Treason686 posted...
Pauken posted...
kobalobasileus posted...

It doesn't let her download from the sites though.

Well I have that tablet Firefox and Adblock work fine I. It but no idea why she can't download but yea think of it as a netbook not a tablet.
---
If its elitist to want decent performance, accountability, and class knowledge from the people you play with... SIGN ME UP!
#19Emeraldrox(Topic Creator)Posted 5/13/2014 9:56:55 AM
She says it tells her it's not compatible with the tablet's OS
---
#20DragnfyrPosted 5/13/2014 10:04:31 AM
Are you absolutely sure that the link you posted is right? The specs in the link says it runs Windows 8.1 so it should be compatible. Go into the system info in the Control Panel and make sure it's not running Windows RT
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+64GB SSDs