This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Cable industry strikes again

#11Cade6669Posted 5/12/2014 3:45:58 PM
American internet is fine and is on par with most of Europe, really don't understand the complaint. It's also dependent on area, I get 40 mbps and I'm fine with that. It's no Hong Kong or Singapore internet speed but it really isn't that big of a deal.
---
Origin - SuperKing61 Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/SuperKing61
I love you.
#12LvthnPosted 5/12/2014 4:01:54 PM
Cade6669 posted...
American internet is fine and is on par with most of Europe, really don't understand the complaint. It's also dependent on area, I get 40 mbps and I'm fine with that. It's no Hong Kong or Singapore internet speed but it really isn't that big of a deal.

Not to mention very few people have any particular means to actually utilize a gigabit connection. Outside of torrents I've seen very, very few downloads that will exceed 5 or 6 Mb/s on any connection. I've seen Steam on gigabit and it wasn't any faster than it was on 15Mb/s.

Doesn't mean I'm siding with the cable industry per the OP, but most people griping about this wouldn't know what to do with it if they had it. Ping is much more important than bandwidth for gaming, and the lightning fast pings you see out of SEA are because, besides the whole country being on fiber, the server is in the same damn city. Most NA and EU gamers (nevermind the poor Aussies) are typically playing on servers a time zone or two (or three) away. Central and east coast LoL players will tell you this is a notable factor. You'd get amazing ping on your cable connection if the server were literally two miles away (and the headend/distribution as well, if you want to get technical).
#13ShadowThaReaperPosted 5/12/2014 4:04:24 PM
Cade6669 posted...
American internet is fine and is on par with most of Europe, really don't understand the complaint.

Clearly you don't understand. Not everyone is you. Not everyone is in an area with good internet and plenty of competition.

There's a huge oligopoly problem, and in certain areas big ISPs literally don't have to compete with anyone.
#14qeoijlijwPosted 5/12/2014 4:12:45 PM
nothings gonna happen unless blood is shed
im not saying you guys should take up arms, but you guys should take up arms
#15username05Posted 5/12/2014 4:15:49 PM
qeoijlijw posted...

Civil War 2?
#16KamenRiderBladePosted 5/12/2014 4:17:04 PM
qeoijlijw posted...

I've been thinking of ways for our government to change without violence, no solution I can come up with ends without blood shed.
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
#17ShadowThaReaperPosted 5/12/2014 4:22:00 PM
qeoijlijw posted...

FBI false flagger/agent provocateur pls go.
#18AlleRacingPosted 5/12/2014 4:22:27 PM
Lvthn posted...
I've seen Steam on gigabit and it wasn't any faster than it was on 15Mb/s.

Really? Because Steam can regularly max out my 100Mb/s connection.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#19blueheart100(Topic Creator)Posted 5/12/2014 5:25:36 PM
I wish we could give crappy service. Then they would know what we feel like.
---
I fight to protect our internet one game board at a time. Who shall join me?
http://www.fightforthefuture.org www.fairtax.com
#20Born LuckyPosted 5/12/2014 6:09:09 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Hmm... I hadn't realized that the US continuing to fall farther and farther behind other modernized countries in terms of internet speed (we're slower) and cost (we're more expensive) was "to the benefit of consumers."

What country 3000 miles across with 350 million people are we "falling behind" . . ?
---
I was talking to the parrot - Poirot