This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is IPS really a must have?

#1BogePosted 5/12/2014 7:23:22 PM
I'm kind of looking into buying a new monitor. I've tried a couple of IPS monitors, mostly the old Dell Ultrasharp 2005fpw. It was pretty sweet, but the TN panels I've had since haven't been all that bad either.

My biggest issue is that when I play certain games with dark areas like caves or night, I want it to look dark and not that blurred glowy greyish color. I'm not sure if IPS is the answer or not. I hear IPS monitors often have backlight bleed and I think that would really ruin that image for me as much or more than a normal TV panel. I've also heard some TN panels are really close to IPS quality anyway.

So I'm really torn. I just want some solid blacks and whites and have a crisp image.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#2WyzeGyePosted 5/12/2014 7:24:25 PM
I love my IPS phone... haven't tried a monitor.
---
http://puu.sh/8IK8Q/8e25ebacb7.jpg
#3Combo MasterPosted 5/12/2014 7:37:33 PM
Ips monitors actually have bad black levels and the ips glow that you can notice in dark scenes in games and movies. Any type of panel have crappy flaws if your a videophile so it's whatever.
---
Combo Master
#4jedinatPosted 5/12/2014 8:17:37 PM
IPS and TN are not the only choices. I have an older dell with S-PVA. About as good an image as IPS without the glowy blacks.
#5TheMove2Posted 5/12/2014 8:18:58 PM
IPS is nothing special. I have never looked at my monitor from a angle ever. If your a pc gamer the only thing that matters is 120hz or 144hz the end.
#6x ShadowPosted 5/12/2014 8:21:28 PM
Different strokes for different folks. I prefer the superior colors of IPS, but at the same time my Plasma tv stands above everything that I have in terms of image quality.

If only it was 1440p.
---
THIS TABLE... THIS TABLE!!~~! - Someone from an anime. Tables are very useful, indeed.
Almost orgasmically so.
#7jedinatPosted 5/12/2014 8:24:36 PM(edited)
TheMove2 posted...
IPS is nothing special. I have never looked at my monitor from a angle ever. If your a pc gamer the only thing that matters is 120hz or 144hz the end.

This is stupid. Gaming is just a single thing among many that people use their monitors for. Case in point--you are posting here.

Also, nicely displayed colors are a huge factor in gaming (graphics) anyways.
#8Combo MasterPosted 5/12/2014 8:30:48 PM
jedinat posted...
IPS and TN are not the only choices. I have an older dell with S-PVA. About as good an image as IPS without the glowy blacks.

They should have 1440p monitors that are S-PVA than. For 1080p to get the best picture it is best to be gaming on a plasma rather than a 1080p monitor.
---
Combo Master
#9Bazooka_PenguinPosted 5/12/2014 8:38:22 PM
No, IPS isn't a must have. A good TN monitor should be able to match, or come close to, most consumer IPS monitors in color reproduction, but that won't matter anyway if you don't have a colorimeter or other measuring tool, since color accuracy is measured relative to a man-made standard. In contrast ratio good TN and IPS panels should both approach 1000:1 so again, they'll end up being similar.

The only big advantage is better viewing angles, though IPS glow can offset that. On the IPS/PLS monitors I had the glow was visible even from a direct angle, so I returned them each time.

You can try a VA monitor but there aren't many good ones out there.
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#10AcquirePosted 5/12/2014 8:44:26 PM(edited)
No. IPS/PLS panels aren't great at blacks and can suffer from glowing problems when displaying dark shades. Personally, I think improved colors outweigh any negatives though. It really depends on what's important to you. I don't care about higher than 60Hz or extreme viewing angles. I rarely look at my monitors from any kind of angle.
---
Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.