This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

RPGs with Street Fighter combat

#1reaper of soulsPosted 5/12/2014 9:03:27 PM
I'm a fan of fighting games, but I wish that the fighting game mechanics would get used by other types of games as well. I know about the Tales of series, and that's similar, but I'm really looking for games with a full-blown LP/HP/LK/HK button layout and command specials.

Are there any other games like this out there? They don't have to be on the PC platform.

(I'm playing Xenogears right now, so that's what brought this on.)
#2username05Posted 5/12/2014 9:05:36 PM
Legend of Legaia? I'm not sure if that is what you're looking for but it was on the PS1 which the battle system has some commands as from a fighting game does.
#3Ivany2008Posted 5/12/2014 9:33:32 PM
Legend of Legaia 2: Dual Saga, Star Ocean 3/4, Eternal Sonata.

Dual Saga has a command input system where you input different arrow keys to perform different attacks, some of which can combine together to form bigger attacks.

Star Ocean is more or less chaining combos together in a style similar to that of the more recent tales games.

Eternal Sonata is a bit different than Tales or Star Ocean. I'd say its probably the closest you'd get to something like a street fighter. 1 button for attack, 1 button for special attacks, and 1 button for guard.

Sadly there aren't really any games with a fighting type battle system.

Thinking again, there is the game Project X Zone for the 3DS which incorporates different Capcom characters into it. It has a bit of a fighting game feel, though its attacks are limited in comparison to an actual fighting game.
#4LaManoNeraIIPosted 5/12/2014 10:12:27 PM
Shenmue is close. It's not a traditional RPG but it's still one of the deepest RPGs around in terms of story and dialog advancement. The combat itself is just straight up Virtua Fighter, with you being able to unlock new moves as you progress through the game. The only downside is that it's Dreamcast only (Shenmue 2 was released on Xbox). So it will be harder to play, obviously
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#5kobalobasileusPosted 5/12/2014 10:21:07 PM
The Legaia games are turn-based. They only resemble fighting games in the most superficial ways.

I'd recommend the strategy mode in SoulCalibur 3. Full-blown fighting combat with strategic positioning on the map.
#6Robot2600Posted 5/12/2014 10:36:27 PM
Valkyrie Profile is what you want to play.

You use 4 party members, and each is like a "punch" or "kick." It works well, you have to time the combos in real time.

Also, Odin Sphere.
---
twitch.tv/Robot2600
#7NingishzidaPosted 5/13/2014 12:30:44 AM
Guardian Heroes.
#8mogexpress1Posted 5/13/2014 12:54:33 AM
Shenmue's working title was Virtual Fighter RPG

Its the thing you are looking for, play them then weep with the rest of us that no one can count to 3.

Also Xenogears had a deathblow system with the ground units that had combos and light or heavy kicks and whatnot.
---
Daddy's home
Shut up gabe and take my money
#9NingishzidaPosted 5/13/2014 1:28:02 AM
Xenogears plays absolutely nothing like a beat em up. Stop mentioning it.
#10Chaos_MissilePosted 5/13/2014 1:55:41 AM
Final Fantasy 6
Sabin

/topic

Cant remember if it was QCF or HCF to use his Hadouken.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008