This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If you thought consoles were holding PCs back before...

#1Cowboy082288Posted 5/13/2014 1:35:32 AM
This gen is going to be waaaaay worse in like 3-5 years. The X1 and PS4 are frankly from a hardware standpoint very disappointing. The 7th gen consoles (X360, PS3) were pretty damn good machines when they first came out. In 2005-2006 you would have had to get a fairly expensive PC to noticeably outperform those consoles.

This gen seems quite different. An 800 dollar build easily passes these new consoles by. In 3-5 years we may be at a point where the average PC gamer has 6-8 GB of Vram maybe like 16-32 GB of system ram and far superior GPUs/CPUs. In 5 years I'm guessing 4K will maybe not be the norm but not unusual to see either.

It seems like the difference in PCs and consoles in 5 years will be HUGE. With the recent increase in high end PC sales and the popularity of PC gameing do you think more devs with just make games targeted to higher end PCs or will they still make games that will also port to or from consoles?
#2ATARIJAWAPosted 5/13/2014 1:49:19 AM
well, due to the economy both Sony and Microsoft were unwilling to take large losses on the hardware as they have done in the past (hence the tablet cpu's and downclocked laptop gpu's). Definitely not as powerful as they should have been. The $500.00 steam machine (the cheapest one) craps all over both of them.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 117
#3Garage_ManPosted 5/13/2014 2:19:05 AM
My biggest problem is that they are going to quite literally hold back PC gaming. The weak CPUs will never do super complex AI or Physics. No one is going to make a multiplat game and redo all that just for PC either.

Honestly I am expecting in the middle to end of this generation that tablets and phones will have more complex things if people code for it.

PC only will be amazing but in this day and age....all the PC is really a giant Multiplat house of doom. (Not saying that's bad but almost every single AAA game can be had elsewhere these days) apart from things like RTS and really complex stuff.
#4Rapscallion84Posted 5/13/2014 2:23:00 AM
It will only 'hold back' PC gaming in terms of visuals, physics and other hardware-intensive pursuits. This might actually be a good thing as it will force companies to conceive original gameplay and storylines to compensate. Here's hoping.
#5Cowboy082288(Topic Creator)Posted 5/13/2014 2:25:01 AM
Garage_Man posted...
My biggest problem is that they are going to quite literally hold back PC gaming. The weak CPUs will never do super complex AI or Physics. No one is going to make a multiplat game and redo all that just for PC either.

Honestly I am expecting in the middle to end of this generation that tablets and phones will have more complex things if people code for it.

PC only will be amazing but in this day and age....all the PC is really a giant Multiplat house of doom. (Not saying that's bad but almost every single AAA game can be had elsewhere these days) apart from things like RTS and really complex stuff.

That is certainly the bad way that it could turn out. What I'm hoping is that the difference will be so great that there will be a viable 'high end' games market, where devs make games targeted to PC with no intention of porting it to consoles.
#6Darkcloud20Posted 5/13/2014 4:23:40 AM
Well at least this time they made a significant jump in ram.
---
What can change the nature of a man?
#7thegreatsquarePosted 5/13/2014 4:34:59 AM
I actually like having kept the same laptop for over four years while maintaining decent settings at my native resolution. I will be buying a new laptop when Maxwell hits the top-end mobile GPUs next year and I hope for similar results.

I for one look forward to the plateau because it makes PC gaming cheaper for everyone.
---
What games look like on my 4yr old ASUS G73jh - http://www.overclock.net
/g/a/36947/asus-g73jh-screenshot-record-of-the-games-as-played-2013-retirement/
#8blax34dmPosted 5/13/2014 6:27:20 AM
Rapscallion84 posted...
It will only 'hold back' PC gaming in terms of visuals, physics and other hardware-intensive pursuits. This might actually be a good thing as it will force companies to conceive original gameplay and storylines to compensate. Here's hoping.

This this this pleaseeeeee
#9Majoras_pantsPosted 5/13/2014 6:30:31 AM
I'm fine with that. I don't want to have to have high end hardware to run games. Let consoles keep things from moving too quickly.

Besides, most of the games I play are PC exclusives. Consoles do very little to hold back those games.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#10Majoras_pantsPosted 5/13/2014 6:31:25 AM
Also, don't forget that the PC gaming market is much more profitable than the console gaming market now. That wasn't the case a few years ago. Devs will continue to put more and more work in to PC ports.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer