This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If you thought consoles were holding PCs back before...

#21godplaysSNESPosted 5/13/2014 7:19:45 AM(edited)
The 360 had a great GPU for its time, but the CPU wasn't that good, and the total 512MB RAM was on par with what low-end PCs had.

At least with the PS4/Xbone, the consoles aren't RAM starved from day one.

And GPU wise, a good PC can always crank up the resolution.
And before this generation is over, we are damn likely to see the PS4 versions running at only 720p, prioritizing new more advanced effects rather than resolution. That's what would be best for PC gamers too.

CPU wise, yep, those Jaguar cores are lacking. Even with powerful CPUs though, I wouldn't count on any breakthroughs in AI or whatever.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#22AsucaHayashiPosted 5/13/2014 8:00:05 AM
Rapscallion84 posted...
AsucaHayashi posted...
It will only 'hold back' PC gaming in terms of visuals, physics and other hardware-intensive pursuits.

like scale and scope which could really affect how games are played?

sure, nobody expects consoles to run something like supreme commander mainly because it would be s*** on console, but just look at minecraft 360/ps3 or how planetside wasn't released on ps3 or why rocksteady is only developing arkham knights for (next)current-gen and PC etc.

What the heck are you talking about dude?

the fact that you seem to think consoles will only hold back gaming on a visual level.

eg. if rocksteady was considering making knights on both ps3/360 they clearly stated they wouldn't have been able to make the game they wanted which included a city big enough for the batmobile to roam around in.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/9Yv0R2Z.jpg
#23Cade6669Posted 5/13/2014 8:29:01 AM
For the most part, I'm pretty liberal with the buying of new technology but I can honestly say that I have no desire to buy a next gen console (I still consider it next gen because most people still don't own them). For me, going from a PS3 to a PS4 is like going from an Ipad 3 to an Ipad 4. It's just not worth it.
---
Origin - SuperKing61 Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/SuperKing61
I love you.
#24Rapscallion84Posted 5/13/2014 8:44:37 AM
AsucaHayashi posted...
Rapscallion84 posted...
AsucaHayashi posted...
It will only 'hold back' PC gaming in terms of visuals, physics and other hardware-intensive pursuits.

like scale and scope which could really affect how games are played?

sure, nobody expects consoles to run something like supreme commander mainly because it would be s*** on console, but just look at minecraft 360/ps3 or how planetside wasn't released on ps3 or why rocksteady is only developing arkham knights for (next)current-gen and PC etc.

What the heck are you talking about dude?

the fact that you seem to think consoles will only hold back gaming on a visual level.

eg. if rocksteady was considering making knights on both ps3/360 they clearly stated they wouldn't have been able to make the game they wanted which included a city big enough for the batmobile to roam around in.

I don't know what planet you're on mate. I never stated consoles will only hold back gaming on a visual level. You actually bolded the part of my sentence that said 'hardware-intensive pursuits'! I'm not going to list out every thing that requires beefy hardware, such as sandbox engines etc. Geez.
#2550inchDLPPosted 5/13/2014 8:49:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Rjw1XXE5Y

thats what an old IGP can do. I bet in 2 years IGP will kill current gen.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/Thereal50inchDLP -contains my Dreamcast project of putting HD vids of each US game up.http://bf4stats.com/xone/LouErina
#26Bazooka_PenguinPosted 5/13/2014 8:54:29 AM
It's less about the hardware, more about the fact that with Mantle (and later DX12) PC will get most of the same optimizations consoles do.
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#27Bossdog421Posted 5/13/2014 9:15:07 AM
Rapscallion84 posted...
It will only 'hold back' PC gaming in terms of visuals, physics and other hardware-intensive pursuits. This might actually be a good thing as it will force companies to conceive original gameplay and storylines to compensate. Here's hoping.

I actually think it will have the opposite impact on gameplay and story. With the architecture being more mainstream and the limitations of the consoles the graphics department should be able to pump out content and port it quicker. We'll be likely to see much less polish on gameplay and story while seeing more frequent sequels (besides the normal big series rehashes).

The current mindset seems to be "Who cares if it's dull and repetitive? It's prettier than last gen!"
---
Type into Google - do a barrel roll
#28atopp399Posted 5/13/2014 9:45:40 AM
I agree. I would imagine the next console generation will finally allow 1080p 60FPS on every game which means most PC ports will be made with those specs in mind. It will probably be similar to a top of the line i7 and middle to top of the line graphics card today and 8GB ram.
#29Mordecai the MadPosted 5/13/2014 9:47:07 AM
JackTheRimmer posted...
PC gamers have always held PC gaming back. This has always and will always be the case.Stop pirating and waiting for AAA games to be 50 cents on steam before you buy them.

This.
---
"Do not mock me, Raziel. You, of all of us, should respect the power bestowed by a limitation overcome."
- Rahab
#30ThePylonPosted 5/13/2014 9:50:20 AM
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
ITT: Playing console games on PC is "PC gaming".

Pathetic.

Lmao this.I don't think many pc games are going to be held back by consoles.
Star citizen basically made all its money on the promise of never catering to the consoles. Dwarf Fortress will keep on trucking down the path of eating cpus. Planetary annilhation isn't being toned down anytime soon. I doubt wildstar devs will ever say "but it needs to be played on a controller". DayZ keeps hinting at consoles but the devs know they would need to gut the experience to make it playable with the recent physics updates.
---
I play too many different games to even care.