This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

trying to figure out what will best impact my pc for gaming (upgrade)

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. trying to figure out what will best impact my pc for gaming (upgrade)
1 year ago#1
i made a post the other day for builds but it doesn't look like i'll be able to dish out for a full new rig just yet ...

so with that said i'm looking to see what would be the best course of action to upgrade what i currently have. Looking mainly for biggest performance impact as priority then work down.

Current setup:
CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) 9750 Quad-Core Processor 2.4 GHz
RAM: 8GB (not positive on brand/type...6 years ago if it matters)
Vid Card: GeForce GTX 460
Drives: Scsi Drives

system model HP-Pavilion FK790AA-A2L m9400f

i was thinking maybe adding in an SSD drive since i don't think the Graphics card is THAT bad..(could be wrong)

anyways whichever route you guys will at least get me rolling a little better bit by bit would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help :)
1 year ago#2
Upgrade the motherboard and CPU and possibly the RAM if it's DDR2. That 460 is still not a bad video card.
1 year ago#3
You definitely need a new CPU and motherboard and DDR3 RAM if you have DDR2. The old first generation Phenom's were horrible even when they were still fairly new.
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+64GB SSDs
1 year ago#4
What is your Power Supply?
How much are you spending for the case?
1 year ago#5
i just popped in a new power supply when i got the graphics card (old one wouldn't run it)
its 520watt dynex ATX

i never thought about the case yet too be honest...slipped my mind
1 year ago#6
If you're saving for a new rig, why waste money on upgrading your current one?
1 year ago#7
On second thought, I would completly overhaul the computer. I don't think Dynex is a reputable brand, and you absolutely don't want a bad power supply. You should eventually update the CPU, motherboard, RAM (if it isn't DDR3), case and power supply. I'm not sure which to start with. You would probably need a new case if you replace the motherboard and CPU.
1 year ago#8
lol so basically i'm back to square rig :p
1 year ago#9
That's pretty much it. Make what you have last until you can fully replace it.
1 year ago#10
right now it's a better idea to save and build a completely new rig. it's not worth upgrading those parts one by one. better off doing it all at once.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. trying to figure out what will best impact my pc for gaming (upgrade)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived