This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Getting banned on steam.

#1JellicPosted 5/16/2014 8:50:40 AM
Is this possible like if someone is spamming you with invites. I've never heard of anyones account getting banned.
---
Remember not to buy Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars. Because, this shouldn't be allowed.
http://i.imgur.com/tJRMKFI.gif
#2Eclypse9810Posted 5/16/2014 8:56:18 AM
It can be "banned," however it just means that their steam community profile is banned and they cannot purchase any more games on their account, however they still have full access to all the games they have purchased before the ban.
---
Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside.
#3Ch3wyPosted 5/16/2014 8:58:38 AM
My account got banned for no reason before, but they lifted it after I contacted support.
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#4temgunPosted 5/16/2014 9:01:42 AM
Ch3wy posted...
My account got banned for no reason before, but they lifted it after I contacted support.

Huh? Like actually banned or VAC?
#5GarudinPosted 5/16/2014 9:01:54 AM
Supposedly they don't do it anymore though they will stop you from buying games but they used to ban your account if you forced a charge back through your CC company.

I believe you can also get your account banned if your caught buying a lot of grey market games.

I'm sure there are a few more ways but those are the two main ones I've heard of.
---
Crowd: Free Tibet, Free Tibet
Peter: I'll take it, hey China I have something you want but it'll cost ya...That's right all the tea GT: Garudin
#6wizardmonPosted 5/16/2014 9:19:46 AM
Yeah, I've reported several people that spammed group chat invites. It's usually just some script some jerk runs that mass invites everyone in a group to a public group chat channel. The people getting hit by it don't know why they are getting invited and the guy usually changes his nick to something that looks like administration.

This has been an issue with steam for over a year now, and it's a pretty bad issue TBH. A group can hold tens of thousands of people in it and they can get several invites per second which appear over your games, over your current window and steal focus over everything. There is no way to turn off receiving invites so people suffering from it just have to leave all their current groups and hope they stop getting hit, what the group can do is turn their chat to private to prevent people from getting mass invited to it.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#7Ch3wyPosted 5/16/2014 9:21:00 AM
temgun posted...
Ch3wy posted...

Huh? Like actually banned or VAC?

Actually banned. It told me I was banned when I tried to log onto Steam and I couldn't play any of my games.

Their banning policy has changed since then I believe.
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#8SpazH3dPosted 5/16/2014 9:29:53 AM
Isn't it stupid to lock you out of buying games if you're banned? Banning a person for being an ass or a scammer is fine, but why would they refuse your money?
---
- My vision is augmented
#9GarudinPosted 5/16/2014 9:39:20 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10MonkeymagePosted 5/16/2014 9:52:35 AM(edited)
Garudin posted...

so you go to your CC company for them to basically take back the money by force at least electronically anyway.

No. A chargeback is a request to your credit card's issuing bank to dispute the charge. They will award you a temporary amount in the amount of the disputed transaction while they investigate. Ultimately the Association (VISA, Mastercard, AmEx, Discover) decides whether or not you get the money permanently.

(doing a charge back also negatively effects your Credit Rating)

False. It does nothing to your credit rating.

I worked credit card disputes for a large payment processor for a number of years, and I was a Subject Matter Expert that worked directly with the Associations.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI