This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's a good book for learning C#?

#1Bazooka_PenguinPosted 5/17/2014 8:42:08 PM
I have a little bit of experience in Java, and I want to learn something on the side.
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#2GuilmonDXPosted 5/17/2014 9:36:46 PM
internet
---
"Do not pray for an easy life, but pray for the strength to endure a hard one." - Bruce Lee
#3Orestes417Posted 5/17/2014 9:43:26 PM
You're not going to learn much more than syntax and basic practice from most books. Go look at the language docs and APIs over at MS's site and start running through exercises like project Euler. That said, I wouldn't even bother until you have a firm grasp of Java. All you'll accomplish by adding more languages at this stage is distracting yourself.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#4Garage_ManPosted 5/17/2014 10:00:48 PM
I would focus on Java. It's said to be one of the easiest more serious languages to learn.

It is better to have a solid understanding of a SINGLE language than a basic understanding of 10. Once you learn all the inns and ours of Java it is easy to move to C# and connect the dots. Again, that is just what happened to me.

I was learning these languages to make games so I found it easy to do so...well making games. I learned the basics and then I made a story driven command line game haha. When I learned some new loop or a use of an array I would implement it into the game and slowly build upon everything.

I am not saying I am amazing at code or can do super complex things but I think you need a solid base before moving on. That is just my opinion.
#5SinisterSlayPosted 5/17/2014 10:06:43 PM(edited)
It's a good question TC, the language evolves pretty quickly.

The basic syntax and stuff is pretty easy. It's the extras that are d*** tough. LINQ gives me nightmares. I still can't see it's purpose. Its slower to do anything and everything. LINQ to SQL is slightly better but other than giving your intelisense in the IDE, I don't see how its better than the old ADO method or using nhibernate. It takes me way longer to write LINQ SQL than it does to write simple select statements, and the results is the select statement is much easier to read than the LINQ.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#6Bazooka_Penguin(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2014 10:16:29 PM
Okay, I guess I'll stick with Java for the time being. Is there anything in particular I should probably learn?
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#7Vindication123Posted 5/17/2014 10:19:35 PM
Doesn't matter what language you learn as long as you pick one, and spend enough time studying and practicing. After that, it's mostly about learning syntax for other languages.

Find a well known author that's a programmer, they usually make good books.
---
A turtle crossed the road and got mugged by two snails. As police arrive, they ask it what happened. The turtle replies, I dont know. It all happened so fast.
#8Orestes417Posted 5/17/2014 10:26:30 PM
Program something daily, learn a new facet of the language daily. Learning is a constant process with programming. You have to keep expanding what you know
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#9frag_baitPosted 5/17/2014 10:34:13 PM
It depends on how much programming experience you have. If you know the basics by heart, even the fanciest basic books, e.g. Deitel, will bore you. I had this book, and it's still availible:

http://www.amazon.com/C-Primer-A-Practical-Approach/dp/B0068ER07S/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1400390362&sr=8-8&keywords=stanley+lippman

It pretty much blows through the preliminaries and get you learning something you didn't already know. It's dated, made for the first version of C# more than 10 years ago, but should still compile.

One of the best things you could try is downloading the samples off Amazon and looking though the table of contents and first chapter. In my experience, if the book covers all the basics of syntax, without much verbosity, in the first chapter, the book has a much better chance of being practical than a book thats introductory chapter is "The History of Computers".

I do recommend you try C#. It's a great language. Creating useful programs is simpler than Java, and much simpler than C++. Get Microsoft Visual Studio Express for free. You need an e-mail address to get a free registration code after a month, but I've been using Express since it came out in 2005 and have never got a single e-mail, much less spam, from Microsoft besides that registration one.
---
I am a well-known troll. Please don't fall for my shenanigans.
#10shamfuruPosted 5/17/2014 10:35:30 PM
You can have some fun with these

https://deals.gamezebo.com/sales/the-name-your-own-price-learn-to-code-bundle

https://deals.gamezebo.com/sales/become-a-game-developer-in-no-time
---
Life is normally too short to purposely seek out things you hate, but apparently that rule doesn't apply on the Xbox One board.