This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why can I easily access my laptop's files from my desktop PC over network?

#1KalirionPosted 5/18/2014 9:06:48 AM(edited)
Just tried browsing to "\\laptop ip" and I see my user and can access all its documents & settings. The laptop isn't part of any network / home group or anything, and nothing on it is marked as "Shared".

Could someone explain this to me? Is it because my laptop & desktop windows user have the same name?

Edit: At least my laptop can't see my desktop in return, perhaps because I configured it to count my network as "public" instead of "home / work". Changed the settings on the laptop to also treat it as a public network, and now can no longer access it from the desktop.

However, that still doesn't answer the question why my desktop was able to access all files in my Users as well as the Public and Default users without even being asked for a password.
---
Don't be scared of nightmares; make them be scared of you.
#2Davel23Posted 5/18/2014 9:22:51 AM
Kalirion posted...
Is it because my laptop & desktop windows user have the same name?

Assuming you also use the same password on both machines, yes. The Users folder is a default share in most current versions of Windows.
---
Your mom's box.
#3Kalirion(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2014 9:33:32 AM
Davel23 posted...
Kalirion posted...
Is it because my laptop & desktop windows user have the same name?

Assuming you also use the same password on both machines, yes. The Users folder is a default share in most current versions of Windows.

Ah, got it, thanks :)
---
#4Kalirion(Topic Creator)Posted 5/19/2014 4:13:37 PM
Don't feel like creating a new topic to ask this question:

It's not normal to get 5MB/sec file copy on a network w/ 150mbps router, right? Shouldn't it be almost 4x faster?
---
#5LordSeiferPosted 5/19/2014 4:33:36 PM
you are probably connected at 54mbps
---
^ this
#6Kalirion(Topic Creator)Posted 5/19/2014 5:27:27 PM
LordSeifer posted...
you are probably connected at 54mbps

Just checked - 65mbps according to Wireless Network Connection Status. Allowing 20% for Windows QoS nonsense, that leaves 52mbps, which should've been 2MB/s higher than I noticed. Wonder where it went...

Interestingly, back of the router box claims 54mbps for 802.11g,and 150mbps for 802.11n. Where did 65 come from? Or is it 54mbps and the adapter is lying to me?
---
#7BannedMomPosted 5/19/2014 5:30:41 PM
If you are using an N router and adapter.

Wifi isnt 100% efficient. You have to factor distance, objects between you and the router,etc.
#8Kalirion(Topic Creator)Posted 5/19/2014 5:37:07 PM(edited)
BannedMom posted...
If you are using an N router and adapter.

Wifi isnt 100% efficient. You have to factor distance, objects between you and the router,etc.

Router is N, Adapter is N (just googled Atheros ar9285), distance is 6 feet.

I could try setting the router to "n Only" which according to the tooltip "maximizes performance" at the cost of not allowing b/g devices to connect at all. Currently on "Auto".

Edit: Hmm, according to the router's Wireless Systems Log:

Supported Rates: [ 1(b) 2(b) 5.5(b) 6 9 11(b) 12 18 24 36 48 54 ]
802.11N Capable:
Chanspec: 2.4GHz channel 6 20MHz (0x2b06)
Control channel: 6
802.11N Capabilities:
Supported MCS : [ 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ]

Mode : AP Only

Doesn't say anything about the N rates that I can decypher here.
---