This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Red or Brown Switches?

#11WilIDearbornPosted 5/22/2014 7:09:06 PM(edited)
Browns would be the safer choice but if you're someone who would like reds you would be missing out big time. I really suggest trying to demo the switches, whether in-store or if you have to buy a sampler kit. Considering the money you'll be spending on the keyboard and that you'll be using it for years, it's a worthwhile endeavor/cost.
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg
#12Garage_ManPosted 5/22/2014 7:05:55 PM
It's VERY personal. I prefer browns..but that is just me. Some people like others and that is that. I'd suggest playing with reds, browns, and blues before deciding. If you can find the others then do. These things aren't expensive so you should make 100% sure you are getting what you want.
#1330aught6Posted 5/22/2014 7:31:02 PM
Between the two, brown.
---
| i7-3930K | MSI BB-XP II | GTX 680 4GB X2 | CORSAIR DDR3 32GB | TT Grand 1200W | SG 240GB SSD | WD 4TB HD | Fractal XLR2 |
#14snae99(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2014 11:31:45 PM
Well I went to a microcenter today... They only had the Razer Blackwidow (green switch) for me to test out. It felt nice I suppose, but way too clicky. I guess I should try bestbuy or buy that sample kit next.
---
Currently playing: Bastion
#15Master_BassPosted 5/25/2014 12:01:12 AM
If you don't like clicky, then reds are your best bet unless you are also interested in blacks. I type and game on my board with red switches and do just fine. You can get pretty fast typing once you take a little bit to get used to them.
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#16XialohPosted 5/25/2014 12:05:58 AM
I use reds, but I also peck via muscle memory. That is to say, any typing errors I make will result from me simply coming hard from the top down, and the actuation force doesn't really make much of a difference. Thus, win-win, since it does improve my gaming experience, while leaving typing relatively unaffected.
---
"Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
#17snae99(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2014 10:54:18 AM
Master_Bass posted...
If you don't like clicky, then reds are your best bet unless you are also interested in blacks. I type and game on my board with red switches and do just fine. You can get pretty fast typing once you take a little bit to get used to them.

I was pretty dead set on reds until I heard people didn't like typing on it. That's why I'm trying to find one to test out at a store cause that just seems odd to me that its good for gaming but not good for typing.
---
Currently playing: Bastion
#18robert022614Posted 5/25/2014 11:04:45 AM
i love typing on the reds try best buy or call if ya want. like we all seem to agree it strongly depends on the user.
#19pitt12177Posted 5/25/2014 11:05:11 AM
Brue wif dem o rings, G.
#20Killah PriestPosted 5/25/2014 11:27:58 AM
I don't remember who it was (I wish I did because it was quite helpful) but when I was looking into mechanicals someone linked me to a cheap set of "test switches" (all cherry) which gave me like one key of each type so I could press and test the feel of each switch.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.