This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What would be a good laptop to get for college?

#21DragnfyrPosted 5/23/2014 8:45:02 PM
ipwnu713 posted...
Get the Asus X202LA. If you're not going to game might as well get something portable and cheaper than a Macbook.

Vivobooks have bad battery life. There's a reason they're cheaper than the Zenbook line.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs
#22EmperorAiai(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2014 8:48:45 PM
I don't have any good specific reasons, no. I just thought it'd be cheaper than a MacBook, and I haven't heard any good things about Lenovo products from the people I know.

Feel free to convince me otherwise. I think you said to get a MacBook Air? You think it'll last me fine through college, or at least a few years of it?
#23razidPosted 5/23/2014 8:51:06 PM
U haven't heard good things for Lenovo? That's weird I thought they were one of the better ones
---
Take care of yourself
#24EmperorAiai(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2014 8:53:10 PM
They might be. Again, I'm not very familiar with computer stuff in general, and my friends are probably all biased one way or another.
#25Love_Me_SexyPosted 5/23/2014 9:07:23 PM(edited)
Jiazhen posted...
a high resolution is a must because it gives you more space to work. and make sure the keyboard layout and touchpad is of a high quality.

Thinkpads are nice, I would recommend a t430/t530 series or older with a 1080p res. The newest model did away with physical mouse buttons so i cannot recommend them.

They really did goof up on the T440/X240 touchpad, didn't they?
---
4930k || X79 Deluxe || MSI 760 4GB || 16GB RAM || 240GB SSD || 2x180GB SSD (RAID0) || 4TB SSHD || 1200w PSU
#26xSoldier24xPosted 5/23/2014 8:56:54 PM
EmperorAiai posted...
Throughout high school, I only ever used a hand-me-down Toshiba that my mom used to use at work, but I've been thinking that now's the right time to get a new one.

I'm not very knowledgeable about laptops or computers in general, but I've heard a fair amount of opinions that have recommended either a MacBook, a Lenovo, or an ASUS.

I'd prefer if it's durable and lasts a good while. Battery life and price are issues as well.

What would you guys recommend?

Macbook Pro 13' non retina. Best option hands down. Personally I feel like the air is too flimsy and would break if you were to put it in a bag with other books and such. The pro is built better and feels stronger plus I think it has better cooling and airflow than the air don't hold me to it tho.
---
The Wire- One of the most intense well written and elaborate shows out.
#27DragnfyrPosted 5/23/2014 9:10:46 PM(edited)
xSoldier24x posted...
EmperorAiai posted...
Throughout high school, I only ever used a hand-me-down Toshiba that my mom used to use at work, but I've been thinking that now's the right time to get a new one.

I'm not very knowledgeable about laptops or computers in general, but I've heard a fair amount of opinions that have recommended either a MacBook, a Lenovo, or an ASUS.

I'd prefer if it's durable and lasts a good while. Battery life and price are issues as well.

What would you guys recommend?

Macbook Pro 13' non retina. Best option hands down. Personally I feel like the air is too flimsy and would break if you were to put it in a bag with other books and such. The pro is built better and feels stronger plus I think it has better cooling and airflow than the air don't hold me to it tho.

Uhh no. The Macbook Pro 13" Non-retina is literally the worst Macbook you can buy right now. It hasn't been updated since July 2012 and is not much cheaper than the retina MBP. Also the non-Retina Pros were notorious for bad cooling.

EmperorAiai posted...
I don't have any good specific reasons, no. I just thought it'd be cheaper than a MacBook, and I haven't heard any good things about Lenovo products from the people I know.

Feel free to convince me otherwise. I think you said to get a MacBook Air? You think it'll last me fine through college, or at least a few years of it?

The Macbook Air 13" is like $900-$950 after student discount (plus Apple will probably be giving away a free itunes card during back to school season as well) so you're really not going to find anything that's much cheaper. All high end ultrabooks are $800-$850+. Also the Macbook Air has a PCIe based SSD so that's super fast as well. You won't find that from any laptops in the same price range. That being said if you are going to buy a MAcbook Air you should wait and see if they're going to release a new one. If they are they will be announcing it at WWDC in June.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs
#28Loserman15Posted 5/23/2014 9:50:42 PM
also suggesting macbook air 13
#29DoramiPosted 5/23/2014 10:41:57 PM
Get a Latitude E5440 from the Dell outlet. These are refurbished units, defined as returns and canceled orders that Dell has certified to work as new. They are backed by the same warranties as new units. Dell offers deep discounts on their outlet units, so you can get one much cheaper than a new retail one.

Make sure you choose a unit that has the following:
1600x900 resolution, for the extra screen real estate
9 cell battery, for the extra battery life

And lastly--this is very important--get the 3-4 year next business day warranty with accidental damage protection. Having a reliable and fast warranty service is as important to a student as it is for a business notebook. You should spend that extra $300 or so to make sure your notebook is functional when you need it to be. Write down the unit number and call in the order to get the extra warranty. You can get an extra discount over the phone by haggling.
---
C2D L7500 | GMA X3100 | 4 GB DDR2 | 250 GB Evo
#30JockoPosted 5/24/2014 6:34:12 AM
If you want to do some gaming on the cheap with a laptop then get a laptop with an AMD A10 processor in it. My buddy has one and he was able to play the Batman games and Tomb Raider at 768p with medium settings. He tweaked the graphics to make them look pretty damn impressive for a cheap laptop. It will also do everything else like Netflix and web surfing with ease. He only paid around 500 bucks for it.
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.