This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What would be a good laptop to get for college?

#31razidPosted 5/24/2014 11:07:15 AM
Jocko posted...
If you want to do some gaming on the cheap with a laptop then get a laptop with an AMD A10 processor in it. My buddy has one and he was able to play the Batman games and Tomb Raider at 768p with medium settings. He tweaked the graphics to make them look pretty damn impressive for a cheap laptop. It will also do everything else like Netflix and web surfing with ease. He only paid around 500 bucks for it.

Do you know what laptop that was?
---
Take care of yourself
#32JockoPosted 5/24/2014 10:45:29 PM
razid posted...
Jocko posted...
If you want to do some gaming on the cheap with a laptop then get a laptop with an AMD A10 processor in it. My buddy has one and he was able to play the Batman games and Tomb Raider at 768p with medium settings. He tweaked the graphics to make them look pretty damn impressive for a cheap laptop. It will also do everything else like Netflix and web surfing with ease. He only paid around 500 bucks for it.

I just texted him. I'll post his reply as soon as I get it.
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
#33JiazhenPosted 5/24/2014 11:02:26 PM
Love_Me_Sexy posted...
Jiazhen posted...
a high resolution is a must because it gives you more space to work. and make sure the keyboard layout and touchpad is of a high quality.

Thinkpads are nice, I would recommend a t430/t530 series or older with a 1080p res. The newest model did away with physical mouse buttons so i cannot recommend them.

They really did goof up on the T440/X240 touchpad, didn't they?

took a glance at my local bestbuy display and noticed that the laptop industry has migrated to buttonless track-pads. looks like every model tries to imitate a macbook and lenovo is just following the trend.
---
Phenom II 925 | XFX 7970 | Corsair Dominator 8GB | GA-990FXA-UD5 | 840 EVO 250GB | 3TB | HX620 | Carbide 200r
#34SampsonMPosted 5/24/2014 11:10:44 PM
Some people are going to trash me for saying this, but you should really consider getting a Chromebook. There's a reason 11 of the top 12 best reviewed laptops on Amazon are Chromebooks (the other one is a Macbook).

You can get the 13-inch Toshiba Chromebook for just $270. If all you're going to do is surf the web, write papers, or watch some videos on Netflix and Youtube, it's perfect. And if you're not tech savvy, even better, as it can't get viruses and you never need to install software patches or anything like that.

My second computer is a Chromebook and I absolutely love it. It could never be my only machine as it can't game or run any video editing software, but for what it does, it's phenomenal.
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
#35razidPosted 5/25/2014 8:05:21 AM
Jocko posted...
razid posted...
Jocko posted...

Awesome Thanks!

Tc what's ur major gonna be?
---
Take care of yourself
#36DragnfyrPosted 5/25/2014 8:32:31 AM(edited)
SampsonM posted...
Some people are going to trash me for saying this, but you should really consider getting a Chromebook. There's a reason 11 of the top 12 best reviewed laptops on Amazon are Chromebooks (the other one is a Macbook).

As a college student myself I would say a Chromebook is probably the most useless thing for a student. An iPad or decent Android tablet is much, much more useful for a student. There are many useful apps and you can handwrite notes. A Chromebook can't do much other than browse the web and type basic documents/spreadsheets, all of which an iPad or android tablet can do better.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs
#37DragnfyrPosted 5/25/2014 8:32:02 AM
Jiazhen posted...
Love_Me_Sexy posted...
Jiazhen posted...
a high resolution is a must because it gives you more space to work. and make sure the keyboard layout and touchpad is of a high quality.

Thinkpads are nice, I would recommend a t430/t530 series or older with a 1080p res. The newest model did away with physical mouse buttons so i cannot recommend them.

They really did goof up on the T440/X240 touchpad, didn't they?

took a glance at my local bestbuy display and noticed that the laptop industry has migrated to buttonless track-pads. looks like every model tries to imitate a macbook and lenovo is just following the trend.

Buttonless trackpads are awesome. Larger tracking surface and you don't have to move your fingers down to left-click. Right click still requires you to move your finger to the bottom right corner but that can't really be improved.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+240GB SSDs
#38TiamatKillerPosted 5/25/2014 9:34:28 AM
If you want to/plan on gaming any decent amount, it will be more convenient to get a gaming laptop than deal with a desktop (if you have one). Moving a desktop around is a huge pain, and takes a decent amount of space.

If you aren't thinking about gaming, the Macbook Air and retina Macbook Pro are quality laptops that have great battery. You can get $100 off as a student discount as well. The Thinkpad T430 is good as well.

You can always pick up any old cheaper laptop that strikes your fancy but I've personally always been of the opinion that you should get the best you can at the moment, and it's really nice to use a well-made, quality laptop.
---
i5-3570k @3.4GHZ | GTX 560Ti (2GB) @930MHz | Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Samsung 840 (250GB) | 1TB Seagate 7200rpm | 8GB RAM | Zalman 9900 MAX | CoolerMaster HAF 912
#39JockoPosted 5/25/2014 2:01:19 PM
razid posted...
Jocko posted...
razid posted...
Jocko posted...

Awesome Thanks!

His response: Lenovo 505s model 20255
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
#40SampsonMPosted 5/25/2014 6:05:40 PM(edited)
Dragnfyr posted...
SampsonM posted...

As a college student myself I would say a Chromebook is probably the most useless thing for a student. An iPad or decent Android tablet is much, much more useful for a student. There are many useful apps and you can handwrite notes. A Chromebook can't do much other than browse the web and type basic documents/spreadsheets, all of which an iPad or android tablet can do better.

Chromebooks are better suited to productivity. Larger screen, actual keyboard/trackpad.

I couldn't get by with just a Chromebook, but sometimes less really is more. Many, if not most, apps oustide of games have web-based alternatives that can be access through the browser.
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby