This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

need a wifi card / adaptor

#31mrtywerPosted 5/24/2014 2:51:40 AM
PeasantStation4 posted...
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be mean, but I noticed that all of your posts in here are barely a complete sentence in length. You might as well be pointlessly bumping this topic.

Looking back at what I posted, yeah, I can definitely understand your point. I am interested in the solutions put forward so far. Like I said, I don't know much about networking, but it's a topic I'd like to know more about. Unfortunately, LordSeifer and EpicKingdom got into a 'mine's bigger than yours' contest and nothing of much noteworthiness was posted. I was kind-of-sort-of trying to get the conversation back on-topic by pointing out that people were getting worked up over who's solution to help this guy(who, I might add, has not shown back up since posting)is better.
---
MSI H87-G43 | Intel Core i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz | 8G Gskill Ripjaws X @ 1600 | Sapphire Radeon R7 260x
#32PeasantStation4Posted 5/24/2014 2:54:35 AM
mrtywer posted...
PeasantStation4 posted...
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be mean, but I noticed that all of your posts in here are barely a complete sentence in length. You might as well be pointlessly bumping this topic.

Looking back at what I posted, yeah, I can definitely understand your point. I am interested in the solutions put forward so far. Like I said, I don't know much about networking, but it's a topic I'd like to know more about. Unfortunately, LordSeifer and EpicKingdom got into a 'mine's bigger than yours' contest and nothing of much noteworthiness was posted. I was kind-of-sort-of trying to get the conversation back on-topic by pointing out that people were getting worked up over who's solution to help this guy(who, I might add, has not shown back up since posting)is better.

Now that's a nice post, that's the mrtywer I wanted to see! :p my apologies. (again) and okie dokie.
---
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/Substaticman/ourxbox3600026yogn2vx2.jpg
#33returnofbeans(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2014 10:43:23 AM(edited)
LordSeifer posted...
^ thats a pretty dang terrible suggestion.

it doesnt give him the ability to move his computer around since the antenna is being cabled in.

the combined cost of the items is rather expensive

and as far as external antennas go, that is very large, ugly, and only single polarity.

if you want to use an external antenna, just buy something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-LOCOM2-US-NanoStation-loco-M2/dp/B004EGI3CI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1400913032&sr=1-1&keywords=nanostation

all you need to connect it is an ethernet cable, which is much more flexible than a dedicated weird antenna connector to larger antenna connector adapter that you have no chance of ever replacing the connector on or sourcing locally if you lose it.

it also does not require buying a seperate wifi adaper and will just use the regular ethernet port already on the computer, saving you money.

also since its ethernet you can just plug it directly into a router and rebroadcast the signal inside your house.

that little thing is amazing. it says on the Q and A says it can reach 9 miles. if that is true... which im not sure. then thats even better since my friend is we'll within that range and he is offering to let me connect to his wifi. some testaments even say they are using 1 mile connections so i think this will be very handy.

thans a lot for your help.

my only question is. where does it go? it has only 1 picture and no description. is this a wall-mount or desktop attachment?
---
Intel i5-4750 3.2Ghz / 2X 4GB G. Skill Ripjaw 1333 / 2 TB HDD / Geforce GTX 580 / 500W 80+ bronze
#34Unsugarized_FooPosted 5/24/2014 2:07:51 PM
The antennae idea is only good if the wifi source is using something of similar strength.

Imagine you have two walkie talkies two miles away from each other. One has a range of 3 miles and the other is one mile. The one mile walkie talkie can hear the three mile one just fine, but when it talks back, the three mile talkie hears nothing.

This is an issue with satellite internet. Your dish hears the satellite signal just fine, but the satellite hears nothing. You then need a dialup connection that tells the satellite company what you want and they send a signal from their big dish to the satellite.
---
"All I have is my balls and my word, and I don't break them for anyone!"-Tony Montana
#35LordSeiferPosted 5/24/2014 4:59:58 PM(edited)
thats somewhat true about wifi

but needing dial up for satelling internet has not been true for about ten to fifteen years. they communicate both upstream and downstream.

and to answer TC, that unit is designed to go outside on the wall, if you have a direct line of sight, it COULD go in a window, but it should go outside

to use it to your friend he would also likely need to have one of those as well, they work best for creating a point to point system rather than just as a high gain antenna, but it also works for that.

you can get 9 miles if you are using them in a location that is free from lots of obstructions.
if you are using them randomly in the middle of a city the range wont be so hot

in fact you can do even longer range when you are tower mounting them, which is what we do. using similar tech ive made links upto about 25 kilometers. (but thats not going to happen for most people)
---
^ this
#36Unsugarized_FooPosted 5/24/2014 7:06:08 PM
No, that's absolutely true for WiFi. Its the same exact thing except WiFi uses a different frequency than walkie talkies. Your help is nice, but don't offer advice that's not true.
---
"All I have is my balls and my word, and I don't break them for anyone!"-Tony Montana
#37LordSeiferPosted 5/24/2014 7:12:11 PM(edited)
sincerely, the guy who thinks satellite internet requires dialup
---
^ this
#38EpicKingdom_Posted 5/24/2014 10:12:40 PM
There is no it could with my antenna grid, it WILL so just get it.
---
http://i.imgur.com/aRtv4fD.png