This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are Tablets worth it?

#11jedinatPosted 5/24/2014 12:02:59 PM(edited)
r7gerrabbit posted...
iOS/Android tablets are not.

Speak for yourself. Mine has been pretty invaluable as a comic/manga reader.
#12jedinatPosted 5/24/2014 12:05:44 PM
Disastersaurus posted...
Hmm. Another few dumb questions:

-Is there any possible way for me to load up movies/shows on Netflix so I can watch them when I don't have internet, or is streaming my only option?

-Are there any good games on tablets?

-Do they make decent e-readers/have a good selection of books?

1. You don't need to use netflix to have as many movies/shows on the device as it can hold.
2. There are some good games.
3. The book selection is as wide as there are ebooks in the world.
#13Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2014 12:06:50 PM
What do you mean? Assuming I don't resort to, ahem, yaaaarrrrr, how else would I be able to have stuff on my tablet for offline viewing?
---
video games are for children
#14jedinatPosted 5/24/2014 12:07:45 PM
Disastersaurus posted...
What do you mean? Assuming I don't resort to, ahem, yaaaarrrrr, how else would I be able to have stuff on my tablet for offline viewing?

Well, there are legal means of purchasing digital content, I assume. But why the heck would one go so far out of the way I don't know.
#15cody4783Posted 5/24/2014 12:08:42 PM
Disastersaurus posted...
-Is there any possible way for me to load up movies/shows on Netflix so I can watch them when I don't have internet, or is streaming my only option?

AFAIK, Streaming actively is the only way. I believe this is largely for copyright reasons, so they don't have people "Downloading" movies and somehow cracking it to have free access outside of the app.

I do believe the YouTube app allows caching/preloading of videos from subscribed channels, but I've never messed with it personally to know the details of such.

Yes, but it depends on what you really want. I mean, there's everything from Angry Birds, to full titles like Grand Theft Auto 3/San Andreas/Vice City, and many other "intensive" games.

Easily one thing tablets excel at. They make wonderful e-readers/Comic book viewers/etc.. Amazon and the Google Play store both have large selections of books in digital form you can purchase and read on a tablet.
---
I have fought in the BF4 Chinese Civil War...
http://i.imgur.com/koXWZ2e.jpg
#16r7gerrabbitPosted 5/24/2014 12:09:26 PM
Windows 8 tablet + ITunes digital content = offline viewing
---
Sig.
#17Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2014 12:10:24 PM
XCOM is on tablets now, isn't it? That alone might be enough for me, I've put 150 hours into that game.
---
video games are for children
#18mafiafunPosted 5/24/2014 12:10:31 PM
Depends on what you do at work, I have seen it used by a lot of people for excel spreadsheets. It seems like it would be handy for work. It is a more mobile laptop, although, probably not as easy to use on the go.
---
"Space: the final frontier... To explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before."
#19DawnshadowPosted 5/24/2014 12:12:51 PM
Disastersaurus posted...
Hmm. Another few dumb questions:

You can't do this through Netflix, but ripping movies you own from DVD or otherwise acquiring video files to play will work.

Yes, but they're hard to find-- the tablet/mobile game market is, unfortunately, flooded with Facebooky pay to progress junkware, crowding out the actual good games. Emulation is also a possibility for an Android tablet, although unless you can set up a controller to work with your tablet you're stuck with touch-screen controls, which are a bit unwieldy unless you're playing a menu-based RPG.

Yes. There are several stand-alone ebook readers that will read anything you throw at the tablet, or you can get the Kindle or Nook apps, which will read ebooks purchased from Amazon or Barnes and Noble, respectively (and can actually share ebooks with a dedicated ebook reader of the same brand.) However, they're backlit rather than using e-ink like a dedicated ebook reader, which means they get washed out in direct sunlight.
---
*Turn Evil can now be cast on players. When used, it applies a small goatee and causes them to explain their diabolical plans while steepling their fingers.
#20cody4783Posted 5/24/2014 12:19:20 PM
Disastersaurus posted...
XCOM is on tablets now, isn't it? That alone might be enough for me, I've put 150 hours into that game.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tt2kgames.xcomeu

Definitely on Android. I'd presume it's available elseware. Pretty highly rated, so I'd presume it's not a cheap cash-in.

I will agree with the above post though---There are a lot of good games on Android/mobile devices, but you seriously have to dig sometimes to find them. It's like the state Steam has been in since they opened the flood gates and let a dozen new games a day onto their store page---But multiplied by a thousand and compounded over several years.

The vast majority are cheap cash ins just copying other popular ideas, or trying to nickle and dime all they can. Once you sift through though, there are good games out there.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg