This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are Tablets worth it?

#21iPr0kkaFTWPosted 5/24/2014 11:22:10 AM
Don't rely on the tablet for gaming. The only games I'm currently playing on my tablet are Kairosoft games and some other casual games to kill time if really bored. Again it's great for multimedia purposes if you want to watch movies, browse the Internet, read eBooks and whatnot. I even use it as a camera time to time to take pictures or record footage.
#22DoramiPosted 5/24/2014 11:39:00 AM
cody4783 posted...
Easily one thing tablets excel at. They make wonderful e-readers/Comic book viewers/etc.. Amazon and the Google Play store both have large selections of books in digital form you can purchase and read on a tablet.

Amazin and B&N have good Metro apps on the Windows 8 store to read on laptops.

The desktop versions... not so good.
---
C2D L7500 | GMA X3100 | 4 GB DDR2 | 250 GB Evo
#23josh_bPosted 5/24/2014 5:16:02 PM
I use my transformer prime on a daily basis. With the added dock it essentially turns it into a android powered netbook. Im a 911 operator and ambulance and helicopter dispatcher so I have a lot of classes I have to take during the year to keep current and my tablet is what I use for notes and such.

I have over 600 novels, 70 movies, and tons of games to keep me entertained at work also when it's slow. Since it has a full sized USB port on it I can plug my 360 controller into it and play games that way too.
---
i5 2500k 4.5GHZ OC, 32GB DDR3, PNY GTX 780TI SLI, MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo, 128GB SSD, Barracuda Green 1.5TB HDD updating to i7 shortly
Xbox live: tanis8585
#24josh_bPosted 5/24/2014 5:19:10 PM
Disastersaurus posted...
Hmm. Another few dumb questions:

-Is there any possible way for me to load up movies/shows on Netflix so I can watch them when I don't have internet, or is streaming my only option?

-Are there any good games on tablets?

-Do they make decent e-readers/have a good selection of books?

you can use PlayLater. it's a paid service but very cheap where you can sign into your Netflix account and download the streams from it. It's legal too.
---
i5 2500k 4.5GHZ OC, 32GB DDR3, PNY GTX 780TI SLI, MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo, 128GB SSD, Barracuda Green 1.5TB HDD updating to i7 shortly
Xbox live: tanis8585
#25Majoras_pantsPosted 5/24/2014 5:20:37 PM
iOS and Android tablets are basically big smartphones. They have their purposes, and are worth it for some, useless for others.

Windows tablets are closer to laptops. Same as above, useful for some, useless for others.

It depends on what you need.
---
"What's a strategy game? You mean like Mass Effect?"- A console gamer
#26BeknessPosted 5/24/2014 5:23:13 PM
cody4783 posted...
iPr0kkaFTW posted...
It helped me get through during jury selection or waiting at the DMV.

Coincidentally, that's EXACTLY what I used mine for recently.

Jury duty in a small town...Didn't even get called and ended up sitting there reading comics and playing games that don't require sound. >_>

xD Did you ever watch that show Becker? He ends up having to sit there for the length of a case and ends up hooked on soap operas.
---
http://www.bewaretherobotsquad.com/ R<3B xx
Babes & I Now Playing ~ Muffin Knight. ~~~ Babes & I Now Reading - Pushing the Limits.
#27SinisterSlayPosted 5/24/2014 5:45:28 PM
I use my 2012 nexus 7 a lot. Often kill the battery twice a day (12 hours of usage roughly).
I don't have a smart phone so all my mobile needs are done by tablet. I have a laptop and don't even travel with it anymore because my tablet covers all my needs except productivity. But I generally stop being productive when I leave work.

I only browse gamefaqs on my tablet and I typed this message on it while watching tv.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#28nurnbergPosted 5/24/2014 6:36:18 PM
No. Just get a phone with a decent screen size. It does exactly the same thing.
#29akuma634Posted 5/24/2014 7:26:07 PM
Last year, I got an Asus Transformer with 64 gigs internal and what I like about that is that there is a slot for a micro sd card so I got another 64 gig card in there. I mostly use it for reading comic books, and it's perfect for that. I used to read off a computer screen until I got a big screen which was a strain on my neck. It's also great for e-books too. That's a big thing for me, because reading comics and e-books on a phone sucks.

As for gaming, it depends on what OS the tablet runs on. My Transformer runs on Android and the store is ok. From what I understand is that it's tougher to do Android ports as opposed iOS games because of all the different device screen sizes there are. It sucks because everything comes on iOS first. My family has 2 iPads, but I hate having to do everything through iTunes to add files from my computer, it's a massive pain in the ass. I've also heard great things about the Widows tablets. With games, keep in mind that it's the same stuff you see on cell phones, it's just some games have a HD version for tablets that costs a few bucks more. There's a ton of pay to win games or just paid games with infinite microtransactions. The only games I have on my tablet are Pinball Arcade which is a great pinball sim, but extra tables do get costly. You Don't Know Jack HD is really fun, a great port of the latest version. There's also SCUMMVM which does a good job of emulating classic point and click adventure games on tablet. It's nice using SCUMMVM to be able to play Leisure Suit Larry 6 anywhere.
---
I belong to the blank generation - Richard Hell
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634\
#30cody4783Posted 5/24/2014 7:30:08 PM
akuma634 posted...
From what I understand is that it's tougher to do Android ports as opposed iOS games because of all the different device screen sizes there are.

Ultimately, that's not much different than saying it's more difficult to release games on PC than it is on consoles. There's a minimum hardware requirement for some games, but in the end it's not as bad as some might make it out to be.

As long as you aren't using some really bottom-end device, most games should be OK. With exceptions only really applying to more intensive, full 3D games requiring a bit beefier hardware.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg