This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need advice. I have the chance to purchase an Alienware M14x R2 Laptop for $550

#1DarKxReckoninGPosted 5/24/2014 3:55:57 PM
The laptop is supposed to be pretty good for gaming, at least reviews say so. I want to know if its a good deal, and if, with the specs you guys get through google for the model, if it will play things like DayZ, Minecraft, and similar titles. Atleast on medium high or high settings.

I would put all the specs up for everyone but Im currently not at home, and I'm on a mobile device.

I also am primarily a console gamer, and want to get into PC but Im not able to currently shell out a ton to build one. I could use the cash I was going to shell out on a Xbox One to get this instead.

The laptop has been used every weekend by its owner whom is an elderly woman, who uses Word processing and Netflix occasionally. I've seen it, it looks great.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Can it play DayZ decently, Minecraft, Dark Souls 1-2, things like that.
---
Xbox Live GT : DarKxReckoninG
#2Bmvc1Posted 5/24/2014 4:03:55 PM
It's not bad. It will run DayZ and Minecraft, but for $550 - $650 you could build a PC that is better
#3fataliPosted 5/24/2014 4:09:27 PM(edited)
I find it very hard to believe that an elderly woman purchased an alienware laptop to use for word processing and netflix.

That is the oldest trick in the book when selling cars. "this car belong to an elderly woman who just used it on weekends to go to church" So many people is willing to believe that kind of things, just because it makes an item seem less used and treated with care.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#4Bmvc1Posted 5/24/2014 4:10:10 PM
fatali posted...
I find it very hard to believe that an elderly woman purchased an alienware laptop to use for word processing and netflix.

It was probably on QVC or something,.
#5robert022614Posted 5/24/2014 4:10:22 PM
fatali posted...

That is the oldest trick in the book when selling cars. "this car belong to an elderly woman who just used it on weekends to go to church" So many people is willing to believe that kind of things, just because it makes an item seem less used and treated with care.

thats what i was thinking. she was pwning newbs on the side.
#6GTRagnarokPosted 5/24/2014 4:13:18 PM
Grandma by day, XxXn00bDest0yerXxX by night.
---
Wow. Very sig. Such original. Wow.
#7cancerstormPosted 5/24/2014 4:16:19 PM
can't say unless specs but anything worse than a 650m/750m don't bother
---
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2996/cancerstorm.jpg
#8LMTTNPosted 5/24/2014 4:17:47 PM(edited)
I have one and really like it. I can play Wargame: Red Dragon on high and some other strategy games at max settings. It's not great for graphically-intensive action games and shooters, though. I don't think it would be very good for games like Battlefield 4 and Watch Dogs, but I'm not really into those games.

Edit: It runs Dark Souls 1 flawlessly with DSfix. I'm sure DS2 wouldn't be much of a problem, either.
---
Steam: Macintosh Plus | PSN: letmetrythisname
Now Playing: Football Manager 2014
#9LordClydePosted 5/24/2014 4:18:10 PM
I was actually planning to sell my existing laptop for about $500 once I get a Razer Blade.

My current one has a 570m.
#10PharohofLaptopsPosted 5/25/2014 12:26:19 AM
This topic is too ridiculous.