This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I miss the days when we got insane value with pretty much every game we bought

#1noimnoturdaddyPosted 5/24/2014 9:35:45 PM
I've been playing FFX and holy crow, it shows me just how greedy most modern games are. Sometimes I forget how much of a serious drop in quality there's been over the last decade, and then I go play a game like this, and it's just like, jeez. It was just $60. Now $60 + however much it costs to get the real "complete" version with all the DLC, and games don't even come close to this.

Depressing, really.
---
"Are you Ron Swanson?" - CatToy to me, upon realizing what a manly man I am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBVDKCAbawA
#2jedinatPosted 5/24/2014 9:41:23 PM
Eh.
#3KidInTheHallPosted 5/24/2014 9:42:25 PM
Dat rose tint!
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 780 Ti Dual Classified | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Samsung 830 128GB | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
#4noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2014 9:47:35 PM(edited)
KidInTheHall posted...
Dat rose tint!

This only applies when it's something I haven't experienced in a long time.

Secret of Mana = rose tint memories, play it and it's actually ****

Final Fantasy X = Play it, and yeah, the first 8 hours are pretty slow, but from then on, it's really, really good, and with all the sidequests that open up, it can easily take 80 hours to complete.

Not rose tint there. Quality *and* quantity. Either a rare creative occurrence, or the product of people making games for more reasons than "money".
---
#5lazycomplifePosted 5/24/2014 9:46:45 PM
FF13 had a lot of content, then people whined on the internet.
---
Official Swinub
3DS Friend Code: 0602-6783-9027 - Friend safari: ICE type: Delibird, Bergmite, Dewgong
#6Blobs_Posted 5/24/2014 9:47:51 PM
As development costs exponentially rise, you're definitely going to see a lot more moni being taken out of game length, and overall game quality, just so they can get dem grafix mayn.
---
is haha
#7jedinatPosted 5/24/2014 9:53:50 PM(edited)
And I played FFX a couple years ago and got bored and never finished. If there was a paradigm shift in video game quality I don't really see it in FFX.

And volume of content doesn't really mean much at all. There's plenty of recent games with dozens or hundreds of hours of content.
#8noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2014 10:00:40 PM(edited)
lazycomplife posted...
FF13 had a lot of content, then people whined on the internet.

Yeah, I think that had to do with FF13 being the first Final Fantasy for a lot of people, since it came out in the gen that brought in a lot of people that had never played games before (aka the CoD crowd).

As for FF fans that didn't like it, that happens (some hate FFXII, I think that game is pretty good). The biggest complaints I remember are:

1) it takes a long time to go off-rails, which is the same as every FF since FF6 (except for X-2)

2) it has no towns, which I didn't think was a big deal but I see it as a valid-ish complaint

3) Some of the cast members are annoying, but this is the case with the majority of the cast in every JRPG I've ever played, and then they mature a bit as the game goes on and they grow on you.

4) The battle system is too automated, which I can understand being a turn-off. I liked it, but it was honestly a more streamlined version of FFXII, which a lot of people already disliked for being so automated (even though I personally think it just made grinding easier, the hard encounters still required a lot of user input).

5) It got a 360 release after Sony fanboys expected it to be a PS3 exclusive, which as we all know butthurts the fanboys and forever taints the game for them.
---
#9noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2014 9:57:18 PM
jedinat posted...
And I played FFX a couple years ago and got bored and never finished. If there was a paradigm shift in video game quality I don't really see it in FFX.

It takes a while to get going. If you don't have the time or patience to hunker down and dig into it, then yeah, it isn't going to appeal to you. I realize that might sound like a poor defense, but it's the way these games go.

jedinat posted...
And volume of content doesn't really mean much at all. There's plenty of recent games with doezens or hundreds of hours of conent.

If we look at it from a multiplayer perspective, sure. Counter-Strike has given me thousands of hours of gameplay, but that's due to the highly replayable nature of multiplayer games. Roguelikes I understand can be bought for $5 and give hundreds of hours of gameplay (ie. Binding of Isaac), but that's a low-volume game that provides replayability with all the RNG, so while it's fun I don't see as much value in it.

A game like FFX I find unique because the content is all handcrafted, and there's a lot of it. There are some misses (Chocobo Racing is terrible), but there's a *lot* there.
---
#10majinbuu58Posted 5/24/2014 10:00:19 PM
Most games have tons of replayability. The hell you talking about about?
---
"realistically, im the most IRL person on this board with the most friends, most girls, and most fun adventures." -P64