This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I miss the days when we got insane value with pretty much every game we bought

#11noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2014 10:06:05 PM(edited)
majinbuu58 posted...
Most games have tons of replayability. The hell you talking about about?

I didn't mention replayability at all in my OP. I'm talking about the extremely high level of creative quality in the game in addition to the amount of content that's present. Remember DA2? That game was long, but recycled a *ton* to do so. That's one example of how lots of playtime or lots of replay potential =/= actual value, which is why these arguments I'm getting are so flawed.

People are literally doing the pricetag/time played = value, which I get, but you can make a game that has little content yet gives a lot of "value" in that sense, while having very little creative passion or content diversity.

Which is what most modern games do.
---
"Are you Ron Swanson?" - CatToy to me, upon realizing what a manly man I am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBVDKCAbawA
#12jedinatPosted 5/24/2014 10:06:01 PM
noimnoturdaddy posted...
If we look at it from a multiplayer perspective, sure. Counter-Strike has given me thousands of hours of gameplay, but that's due to the highly replayable nature of multiplayer games. Roguelikes I understand can be bought for $5 and give hundreds of hours of gameplay (ie. Binding of Isaac), but that's a low-volume game that provides replayability with all the RNG, so while it's fun I don't see as much value in it.

A game like FFX I find unique because the content is all handcrafted, and there's a lot of it. There are some misses (Chocobo Racing is terrible), but there's a *lot* there.

Uhh, no I was talking about single player games. Look at Dark Souls 2 which just came out--average time to beat the main story is 50 hours... longer than the FFX average.
#13noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2014 10:10:32 PM(edited)
jedinat posted...
Uhh, no I was talking about single player games. Look at Dark Souls 2 which just came out--average time to beat the main story is 50 hours... longer than the FFX average.

Most of that is retreading content because you die all the time.

Also, it took me 38 hours to beat NG Dark Souls 2. That's probably got 8 hours on the firsttime FFX player who just goes through the main story, but again, time added for all the "learning from death", which the game tracks, and this is also excluding someone partaking in the optional content of FFX, which will absolutely put time on the clock. Also keep in mind that with FFX, if you die, you reload, and it doesn't count the lost time on the clock. Just something to keep in mind if we're going to run with this argument.
---
#14AsucaHayashiPosted 5/24/2014 10:10:14 PM

and having to enter a near constant amount of random battles in the typical JRPG like FFX is what exactly? a new experience with each passing moment?
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/9Yv0R2Z.jpg
#15jedinatPosted 5/24/2014 10:11:20 PM
noimnoturdaddy posted...
jedinat posted...

Also, it took me 38 hours to beat NG Dark Souls 2.

I've just mentioned the current game I'm playing as defuncting your argument that modern game have no content or whatever. Not making the ultimate point that DS2 has more content than FFX (I have no idea and don't care). If the last game I bought just happens to have quite a bit of content I think it's safe to say your point is weak. And the game cost me $36 at launch.
#16jedinatPosted 5/24/2014 10:12:11 PM
AsucaHayashi posted...

and having to enter a near constant amount of random battles in the typical JRPG like FFX is what exactly? a new experience with each passing moment?

This too, lol.
#17noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2014 10:15:51 PM
AsucaHayashi posted...

There are a few different encounter setups for each zone, and each one is pretty strategic, even moreso the deeper in you get. The worst areas for encounter rates are probably the Thunder Plains/Desert/Calm Lands, which is mainly due to the size so running from A to B takes a while. The rest are pretty stable, and the encounters are interesting enough to keep it from getting tiresome.

This is also negating the concept of how much time death from things you can't know until you've died to it in Dark Souls adding time to the clock, which isn't "value" because it makes it highly repetitive. Doing direct comparisons, we should be comparing combat in Dark Souls to combat in FFX, where I think FFX still wins, because while Dark Souls is unique, combat has always felt a bit clunky, and just having the one character to controls (and the extremely limited movesets) makes for a pretty shallow experience as well.

If we're going to be honest, Dark Souls 2 is actually worse than Dark Souls 1. It was even their B-Team that did it, so this comparison has a lot of holes... again people are mistaking time played for value, instead of quality of content.
---
#18jedinatPosted 5/24/2014 10:22:13 PM(edited)
noimnoturdaddy posted...
If we're going to be honest, Dark Souls 2 is actually worse than Dark Souls 1. It was even their B-Team that did it, so this comparison has a lot of holes... again people are mistaking time played for value, instead of quality of content.

Nobody is mistaking anything. I think random battles are a complete waste of time, personally. I also think DS2 is better than the first, and DeS might have been better than both of them. And honestly I don't die and lose my souls *wasting time* all that much in DS2. That's really up to how good you are. Like with any game I suppose.
#19noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2014 10:19:31 PM
jedinat posted...
I've just mentioned the current game I'm playing as defuncting your argument that modern game have no content or whatever.

I didn't say "no content", if it was no content you wouldn't have a game to play. You aren't defuncting my argument, all you did was give me an example that helps prove my point - not only is Dark Souls 2 a low quality game on its own, it's actually a lower quality game than the two previous entries, probably due in large part to the fact that the majority of the people that had a part in the first two had nothing to do with DS2. It is, without a doubt, a watered down Souls experience. Yes, you can sink a lot of time into it, but that's going with the pricetag/time = value, as opposed to pricetag/quality = value. Just because something can last a long time does not mean there's a lot there. I could spend the rest of the free time I have in my life staring at a wall, that's the best pricetag/time value ratio I'll ever get, but it wouldn't be very engaging.

jedinat posted...
Not making the ultimate point that DS2 has more content than FFX (I have no idea and don't care).

If you don't care, then why are you attempting to disagree?

jedinat posted...
If the last game I bought just happens to have quite a bit of content I think it's safe to say your point is weak.

Not even in comparison to DS1 does this statement hold water.
---
#20jedinatPosted 5/24/2014 10:21:23 PM
...and I just read you think the combat in FFX is better than Dark Souls Wow.