This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I miss the days when we got insane value with pretty much every game we bought

#31good_mangorushPosted 5/25/2014 1:05:02 AM
Blame current gamers mentality. They will buy games no matter how short/horrible it is as long they labelled "AAA" games.
---
I am proud to be weeaboo.
#32TimePharaohPosted 5/25/2014 1:08:02 AM
$80 for 20 minute long NES games?

Dat value

ITT: Child
#33KabtheMentatPosted 5/25/2014 1:27:03 AM
noimnoturdaddy posted...
jedinat posted...
I think random battles are a complete waste of time, personally.

I've never understood this. Whether it's random encounters or on-screen, you're having to make the choice of engaging or running away. I think the "random encounter to battle scenario" system allows for much more depth than what a lot of real-time combat games provide, but that isn't to say that action-driven games can't be challenging on their own (due to rewarding good reflexes instead of deep thought).

What you're getting into there is preference, which has nothing to do with the core concept you "don't care" about.

No it doesn't Random battles came about because of technical limitations of video gaming at the time. We're way past the point where that's even a factor now. There's no real reason why there should be random battles.

This is a big reason why the JRPG genre has fallen off the radar big time in the last several years. It's a symptom of them simply not changing it up doing something new. You play a JRPG now and it's almost exactly the same as playing one in the mid 90s, except for better visuals and sounds (sometimes...some of the newer bottom barrel JRPGs look worse than PS1 era JRPGs).

That and all of the loli moe bull**** that's infected the genre is what's killed it.
---
Laugh at how dark it can get in this place, as if you're eatin' the soul of a demon for strength.
#34KabtheMentatPosted 5/25/2014 1:29:59 AM
TimePharaoh posted...
$80 for 20 minute long NES games?

Dat value

ITT: Child

Usually this guy says absurdly stupid things, but in this case he's actually correct.

Back in the day a brand new NES game cost $75 ($75 in 1980s dollars, BTW)...most of them can be beaten within and hour or so.
---
Laugh at how dark it can get in this place, as if you're eatin' the soul of a demon for strength.
#35ThePonyColliePosted 5/25/2014 2:19:32 AM
As gaming becomes more mainstream, there will be more brainless masses than real fans. And these brainless masses actually throw money left and right, the devs/puplishers take advantage of this. This trend will only get worse in the upcoming years.
---
No Steam, no buy.
#36KabtheMentatPosted 5/25/2014 2:30:28 AM
Yeah, because everything that was produced when gaming was underground basement dwelling nerd **** was all gold, right?
---
#37IlluminoiusPosted 5/25/2014 2:46:47 AM
how can you say that a game is so amazing when it takes eight freaking hours to start up
#38SteelWingKnightPosted 5/25/2014 2:55:27 AM
KabtheMentat posted...
noimnoturdaddy posted...
jedinat posted...
I think random battles are a complete waste of time, personally.

I've never understood this. Whether it's random encounters or on-screen, you're having to make the choice of engaging or running away. I think the "random encounter to battle scenario" system allows for much more depth than what a lot of real-time combat games provide, but that isn't to say that action-driven games can't be challenging on their own (due to rewarding good reflexes instead of deep thought).

What you're getting into there is preference, which has nothing to do with the core concept you "don't care" about.

No it doesn't Random battles came about because of technical limitations of video gaming at the time. We're way past the point where that's even a factor now. There's no real reason why there should be random battles.

This is a big reason why the JRPG genre has fallen off the radar big time in the last several years. It's a symptom of them simply not changing it up doing something new. You play a JRPG now and it's almost exactly the same as playing one in the mid 90s, except for better visuals and sounds (sometimes...some of the newer bottom barrel JRPGs look worse than PS1 era JRPGs).

That and all of the loli moe bull**** that's infected the genre is what's killed it.

Tales of series comes to mind as JRPGs done right.
Long, lots of content, great combat system, no random battles, pretty visuals, good music.
The anime stylings may be hit or miss but its a series that has gotten things right for a long time, going back to Symphonia and Abyss (oldest ones Ive played).

Radiant Historia is a more recent one I enjoyed.

Lost Odyssey IMO was the last good JRPG with random battles before those started disappearing.

Finally, JRPGs are a genre you usually get your moneys worth in terms of content/money spent ration.
---
~I wish that this night time ~ Would last for a life time~
Now Playing: SWTOR (still), Pokemon X
#39SpazH3dPosted 5/25/2014 3:22:49 AM
Games like Fallout New Vegas, The Witcher games or Kingdoms of Amalur doesn't have enough content for ya?
---
- My vision is augmented
#40Born LuckyPosted 5/25/2014 3:24:54 AM(edited)
Blobs_ posted...
As development costs exponentially rise

Yes because 10,000 man hours and 1 million dollars to get hair strands to move slightly more realistically, is what they're spending their money on.

Unfortunately, that's easier than adding quality content, and they don't care about the quality of their work.

I remember the good old days when devs had to hire talented people who worked hard, if they wanted to make money.
---
I was talking to the parrot - Poirot