This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I miss the days when we got insane value with pretty much every game we bought

#51LootmanPosted 5/25/2014 7:18:33 AM
noimnoturdaddy posted...
Name one game that doesn't hiccup anywhere from start to finish.

Simpsons Hit 'n' Run.
Mario Party
Sunspace Emisary in SSBB
Super Mario Sunshine
Any Mario game even
Donkey Kong (except 64)

Your move.
---
\(._.)/ Hi, my name is Lootman!
._.)/ http://i.imgur.com/KyOOLwU.jpg
#52Orestes417Posted 5/25/2014 7:21:42 AM

You mean the days when you were more selective in the games you bought because they wouldn't be 2 bucks on steam 6 months later. The relative quality signal to noise ratio of games hasn't changed much over the years. For every brilliant game there were always ten meh to complete crap ones. the difference is people actually had standards instead of gorging on the sales and whining about hundred game plus backlogs.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#53noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2014 7:59:30 AM
Orestes417 posted...

You mean the days when you were more selective in the games you bought because they wouldn't be 2 bucks on steam 6 months later. The relative quality signal to noise ratio of games hasn't changed much over the years. For every brilliant game there were always ten meh to complete crap ones. the difference is people actually had standards instead of gorging on the sales and whining about hundred game plus backlogs.

I don't have a Steam backlog, I don't buy games just because they're on a really good sale anymore.
---
"Are you Ron Swanson?" - CatToy to me, upon realizing what a manly man I am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBVDKCAbawA
#54noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2014 8:05:05 AM(edited)
Lootman posted...
noimnoturdaddy posted...
Name one game that doesn't hiccup anywhere from start to finish.

Simpsons Hit 'n' Run.
Mario Party
Sunspace Emisary in SSBB
Super Mario Sunshine
Any Mario game even
Donkey Kong (except 64)

Your move.

I've played all those games and think they all drag in parts. If we even look at DKC1, the third world (the one with Orang-utan Gang) felt like it was dragging the Jungle palette on a bit too long.

Of course, since it take maybe 30 minutes to get through it, it doesn't feel as painful as the draggy parts in a JRPG, but 30 minutes in DKC1 is like 1/6 of the game. I remember I beat it the same night I bought it.

Which isn't to say it isn't a high-quality game, though. Nintendo games are usually pretty short in comparison to other titles, but much higher quality.
---
#55steveboblarryPosted 5/25/2014 8:03:57 AM
Orestes417 posted...

As usual always trying to attack steam. WHO DO YOU WORK FOR!!!!!
---
IceJFish is the next drake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq_d8VSM0nw
#56daemon_danPosted 5/25/2014 8:05:42 AM
Not gonna bother reading cause I gotta get into the shower to go to work. But I got thousands of hours out of both Skyrim and terraria. Bought each for like 5 bucks. So... that.
---
"Desperate times call for desperate measures. Go ahead and pour that gasoline."
~DevilDriver: Desperate Times
#57noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2014 8:11:25 AM
I almost got carpal tunnel from playing Terraria. True story.
---
#58noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2014 8:12:12 AM
I guess I should just say I really miss JRPGs.
---
#59CircleOfManiasPosted 5/25/2014 8:41:32 AM
noimnoturdaddy posted...
seasloth21 posted...
You realize the souls series is renowned for having one of the best combat systems EVER?

No, it's renowned for being one of the most punishing games ever.

It really isn't. If it was released 15 years ago, it would be considered a moderately challenging but not overly difficult game, and would primarily be known for its excellent combat and creative world design. The issue is that modern games are pathetically easy, so as soon as a game that has actual challenge comes out, people are like "omg hardest game ever!!!!111" and completely ignore the substance of the game due to the fact that difficulty is somehow a novelty nowadays.
---
Sick liaisons raise this monumental mark
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park
#60xpiritflarePosted 5/25/2014 9:09:18 AM
KabtheMentat posted...
This is a big reason why the JRPG genre has fallen off the radar big time in the last several years. It's a symptom of them simply not changing it up doing something new.

Except Lost Odyssey is a highly praised game and even it could not help the genre. It's dying with or without good games. We're in a time where MOBA is on the rise.

You play a JRPG now and it's almost exactly the same as playing one in the mid 90s

There's so many different gameplay styles and while this could be true for a few games, overall your statement is a joke. I remember reading many people saying this in a NeoGAF thread, I'd really hate having to find that thread but I might as many people gave plenty of examples, and the people who made the original statement never did reply.

mjc0961 posted...
If the first 8 hours suck, it's not quality. That's called bad game design. Give me a game that's good from start to finish or get out. If I have to slog through 8 hours of boredom to get to the good stuff, I'm not going to play the game. I'll just go play something else that is good from start to finish, even if it's shorter overall. And then I'll play another game that's shorter but good all the way through. There are too many games out there to waste time on a bad one.

I slogged through the first 10 hours or so of Morrowind and I'm glad I did because it became pretty amazing after that.
---
Yeah. "I'm going to turn back time an hour. It'll take about an hour." - AnnaBananaa