This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I miss the days when we got insane value with pretty much every game we bought

#61Pal 080Posted 5/25/2014 10:14:09 AM(edited)
I don't remember those days... there's always been bad bad games, okay games, and those who give you amazing value...

Love dat nostalgia though. Typical "everything was better back in the day" nonsense.
---
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate"
#62Orestes417Posted 5/25/2014 10:20:14 AM
I also don't agree with the current silliness that value equates to length. I've played some 6 hour games that I consider to have vastly greater value than some hundred hour games. With FFX in particular I was turned off from minute one because of the voice acting they imposed on the story. Can you imagine how much FFVI would suck ass if you had to listen to Locke sounding like an emo tweenager for 50 hours?
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#63thebladeofwoePosted 5/25/2014 10:21:13 AM
I totally see what you are getting at tc. (Recently brought the FFX-X2 for ps vita) and I am in 42hrs. And only just at the omega ruins (before fighting sin for spheres)

Last game I brought full price was splinter cell blacklist, and while I have something like 80+hours it had me going through the story multtiple times for each different style of game play, plus the multiplayer.
---
A10 ('@2.3) HD 7600G & HD 7670M 8gb ram W8.
PSV:riley100311 (my name is paul though :-D
#64xX_KingKoopa_XxPosted 5/25/2014 10:28:38 AM
Watch Dogs > topic

I plan on buying all the DLC for it, this game is really amazing.
---
aka Bowser
Mario sucks.
#65SpazH3dPosted 5/25/2014 10:41:08 AM
noimnoturdaddy posted...
Orestes417 posted...
I miss the days when we got insane value with pretty much every game we bought

You mean the days when you were more selective in the games you bought because they wouldn't be 2 bucks on steam 6 months later. The relative quality signal to noise ratio of games hasn't changed much over the years. For every brilliant game there were always ten meh to complete crap ones. the difference is people actually had standards instead of gorging on the sales and whining about hundred game plus backlogs.

I don't have a Steam backlog, I don't buy games just because they're on a really good sale anymore.

If you use Steam, then I think it's impossible to not have a backlog. Can you explain this comment of yours?
---
- My vision is augmented
#66wdfosterPosted 5/25/2014 10:44:47 AM
noimnoturdaddy posted...
wdfoster posted...
ITT FFX = best game ever

apparently

No, just one that's up there. There's also Bioshock, System Shock 2, Zelda 2, Majora's Mask, Lufia 2, Metroid Prime, Counter-Strike, Super Meat Boy, Braid, Oath in Felghana...

Zelda 2? Good game... But one of the greats? Same goes for FFX and a few of the other games you named. I and I'm sure most everone who reads this thread doubt the validity of your opinion.
---
Steam ID - BarneyRound
#67RosencroitzPosted 5/25/2014 10:57:19 AM
Wow @ saying SoM was "****" and saying FFX is good. Just, wow.

How does it feel knowing that you have such awful taste?
---
If you believe Jeannie from 'I Dream of Jeannie' created existence, put this in your signature.
#68JonWood007Posted 5/25/2014 11:01:33 AM
Yeah, rose tint. We used to pay like $60-70 for 3 hour games back in the day.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#69noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2014 11:11:21 AM
CircleOfManias posted...
It really isn't. If it was released 15 years ago, it would be considered a moderately challenging but not overly difficult game, and would primarily be known for its excellent combat and creative world design. The issue is that modern games are pathetically easy, so as soon as a game that has actual challenge comes out, people are like "omg hardest game ever!!!!111" and completely ignore the substance of the game due to the fact that difficulty is somehow a novelty nowadays.

This is true in a lot of ways, but I do think the "Souls" games are more punishing than the "Ninja Gaiden" games, in large part due to the clunkiness of the combat.

Rosencroitz posted...
Wow @ saying SoM was "****" and saying FFX is good. Just, wow.

How does it feel knowing that you have such awful taste?

I used to think that game was good, but I also thought it had good music. Then, I replayed it, and encountered gems like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0IJPzf4mO0

That's a case of rose-tint making something seem better than it actually is. The combat is really frustrating as well.
---
"Are you Ron Swanson?" - CatToy to me, upon realizing what a manly man I am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBVDKCAbawA
#70noimnoturdaddy(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2014 11:14:07 AM
Pal 080 posted...
Love dat nostalgia though. Typical "everything was better back in the day" nonsense.

I don't get the "it's just nostalgia" argument. I really don't. There are plenty of examples where things that were good then don't seem as good anymore. If I said "FFX is the best game ever" and I hadn't played it in ten years, then you might be onto something, but if I'm 50 hours into something and saying it's good, then it isn't nostalgia, because nostalgia only gets you so far.
---
"Are you Ron Swanson?" - CatToy to me, upon realizing what a manly man I am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBVDKCAbawA